German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old female german shepherd and I’m worried we’re overfeeding her. She’s eating more than the chart recommends, but I didn’t realize how much more until I finished a 25 lb bag in 16 days.. and when I did the math with the chart the bag should’ve lasted us 18 days! The thing is.. we’ve tried cutting down her food and she gets SO hungry. She’s currently 50lbs, I can feel her ribs and spine easily. Should I be worried? The brand is Acana Large Breed Puppy Food.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
My puppy was growing so fast at 6 months that I was feeding her close to double the recommended amount and she could have and would have eaten more! Don't worry so much about the chart, just keep the puppy in good shape. If you can see or feel her ribs easily with the backs of your hands, and she has a distinct taper just before the hind quarters, then you're definitely not over feeding!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Acana large breed puppy. According to the chart she should be eating about 3 1/2 cups, she eats about 4-4 1/2 cups a day

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do you feed her all in one meal or do you feed her twice a day? I've found that if I feed one large meal my dog would beg the rest of the day for food but if I split it into 2 feedings she did better. She still begged a bit but she was food obsessed. Is yours food obsessed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She’s fed 3 times a day. We tried to switch her to twice daily but she seemed even hungrier so we thought we’d keep doing three times until she’s fully grown. She’s super active if this matters. She gets tons of exercise.

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
When Scarlet was that age, she ate about 5 cups a day. At 18 months, she now eats 3 cups. She needed more when she was growing.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
I go by their body condition, not by the bag. Every food is different and every dog's metabolism as well. before I feed them I look at them; sometimes they get more than other times. You have to keep pups very lean and not go by their hungry eyes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s as my thought as well. Some days when it’s like -40 all day she doesn’t get as much exercise because her paws get too cold, and on those days she doesn’t get as much food. Like I said she’s definitely not fat so I think I’m gonna keep doing what I’m doing while she’s growing and keep my eye on her weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't checked for worms, however I haven't noticed any in her poop. I can keep it in mind to keep a lookout for that. She doesn't seem to have any other signs of worms either

1 - 13 of 13 Posts