German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying my pup is great she is 9mos old.
I just have 2 issues with her.
1. When my wife/kids get home from work and let her out of the kennel she goes bonkers and jumps all over them. My wife is 100lbs and my son is 70lbs the gsd is 66 and they are just exhausted of letting her out. Thus she stays in her kennel till I get home wich is way too long for her. I dont have this problem with her does anyone have any suggestions on what they can do? Sh is in her kennel roughly 5 hours sometimes 6.

2. I exercise her everynight by either a riding my bike with her chasing or doing the fetch but she gets plenty of exercise everynight. But sometimes prior to me getting a chance to get her out and about she will go nuts with the licking and just be over the top hyper she knocks over my kids and sadly I have lost my patience a few times cause everyone in the house is either yelling or crying. Anyone know were this comes from. Like I said she gets plenty of exercise.

Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
I think she misses you too much. Why do you keep her in the kennel? German shepherds have to be an inside dogs. They are very affectionate and strives for human contact. I think she doesn't get enough contact. That is what I think, let her inside home. GL

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Absolutely have ti be inside.
Brady is very excited when I get home too
but he is in the house.
your wife and kid need to have more contact to bad if they are exhausted the pooch loves them and thats what you get when you have a GSD

·
Registered
521 Posts
My also 9 month old, Charlie (male) would spend 5 hrs. max in an xpen inside our bedroom. I used to come home at lunch and let him out for a while to potty and play.

Just this week, I started leaving him loose to roam the house for the same amount of time. He has been doing great so far. Hasn't destroyed a thing. He's a really good dog.

I agree with not leaving GSDs outside. They are indoor babies.

Try to start trusting a little and letting her more outside kennel than inside. She's 9 months already, you should start by 1 hour, then 2 and so on. That's how Charlie was trained. Before you know it, she'll be roaming the house without a problem!

Good luck!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I assume the dog is in a kennel when the people are not home. I'm not sure why people assume the dog is left outside? Most people do leave their dogs home alone while they are at work so I don't understand why people are jumping on the OP on this one.

I have had this issue with every one of my dogs through the years--jumping up, biting, etc. when I arrive home.

Here's how I deal with it:

I make my comings and goings very low key. I basically ignore the dog. I am not mean in any way but I just let them out of their crate (or greet them at the door for my current two) and then go about my business. I do not pet them or play with them. If they are trying to jump on me I do not get overexcited (because that feeds their excitement, even if you are giving them negative energy by yelling, pushing, etc.) I simply turn my body so that they cannot get to me.

I also train my dogs to pick up a toy when they are excited. So when I come home now Rafi is very anxious and instead of mauling me like he used to do, he picks up a toy and goes and lies down on his bed. The toy prevents mouthing and gives them something to do right away.

Once they are calm I give them a little attention but I am careful that they not connect the attention (again positive or negative) with my coming home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowI assume the dog is in a kennel when the people are not home. I'm not sure why people assume the dog is left outside? Most people do leave their dogs home alone while they are at work so I don't understand why people are jumping on the OP on this one.

I have had this issue with every one of my dogs through the years--jumping up, biting, etc. when I arrive home.

Here's how I deal with it:

I make my comings and goings very low key. I basically ignore the dog. I am not mean in any way but I just let them out of their crate (or greet them at the door for my current two) and then go about my business. I do not pet them or play with them. If they are trying to jump on me I do not get overexcited (because that feeds their excitement, even if you are giving them negative energy by yelling, pushing, etc.) I simply turn my body so that they cannot get to me.

I also train my dogs to pick up a toy when they are excited. So when I come home now Rafi is very anxious and instead of mauling me like he used to do, he picks up a toy and goes and lies down on his bed. The toy prevents mouthing and gives them something to do right away.

Once they are calm I give them a little attention but I am careful that they not connect the attention (again positive or negative) with my coming home.
Thanks very good advice.
I am not sure why people had a run at me. I never said we leave her outside. We leave her in the kennel while we are gone. She only goes outside to potty and play or when my she makes my wife mad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: littledmcAbsolutely have ti be inside.
Brady is very excited when I get home too
but he is in the house.
your wife and kid need to have more contact to bad if they are exhausted the pooch loves them and thats what you get when you have a GSD
Nice assumption!
I never said they were too exhausted. It is exhausting to have a dog that weighs as much as you do jump all over you.
Due to job circumstances I can no longer be there to let her out. I was asking for suggestions on how to deal with this since she is primarily my dog. Next time i need the obvious pointed out to me I will shoot you an IM.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It sounds to me from your description of the situation, as if your dog is not a family dog. It is only your dog. It's difficult to deal with situations like yours if the dog is being tossed outside when your wife is "mad" at it and when the dog has to stay in a kennel because no one wants to deal with it until you get home. Having a dog involves the whole family. If someone in the family does not want to deal with the dog, if makes it difficult to achieve a balanced environment for the dog. Could someone in the family take the dog out for a bike ride before you get home? Maybe a trainer that can actually see what your situation is like can help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: DanoIt sounds to me from your description of the situation, as if your dog is not a family dog. It is only your dog. It's difficult to deal with situations like yours if the dog is being tossed outside when your wife is "mad" at it and when the dog has to stay in a kennel because no one wants to deal with it until you get home. Having a dog involves the whole family. If someone in the family does not want to deal with the dog, if makes it difficult to achieve a balanced environment for the dog. Could someone in the family take the dog out for a bike ride before you get home? Maybe a trainer that can actually see what your situation is like can help.
Good point. It was never really a problem till I had to change my work hours.
Now my son comes home and does his homework and my wife cooks right away. In the past I would come home and play with her right away.
I think I may encourage my son to spend about 10 - 15 mins playing with her then feed her ,then do schoolwork. By that time I should be home shortly after that.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
You did say they were exhausted but didn't say why!!
I wasn't try to put anyone down I was going bye WHAT I read.
No need to get snippy and please DON'T IM me.
I have my own dogs to worry about
you asked for advice so I gave it. And it did sound like your family doesn't spend time with the dog, Maybe next time you reword your post

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: littledmcYou did say they were exhausted but didn't say why!!
I wasn't try to put anyone down I was going bye WHAT I read.
No need to get snippy and please DON'T IM me.
I have my own dogs to worry about
you asked for advice so I gave it. And it did sound like your family doesn't spend time with the dog, Maybe next time you reword your post
Wasnt that hard to understand. You ought to check your own wording looks a bit messy

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Your family needs to get involved in the training and care of this dog. Your wife has to take on the obedience training for awhile, at least share in it enough that your pup listens to her just like she listens to you. It may not get there as Renji listens to me more than he does my fiance, but shoot for that goal. Have your kids do simple obedience (judge by age) when either you or your wife are present. Also, if you let her jump on you, she's going to jump on them, so if you want her to stop jumping on your family, you need to disallow her from jumping on you. If you want, attach a command to it that allows her to jump on you but only upon command.

Work on teaching her to exit the crate nicely. Have her sit and give eye contact before you give the release command and do NOT let her shove open the door with her head. A lot of dogs will do this but this is a no-no. As soon as you let her out, everyone, including you, should immediately ignore her like she no longer exists. This will discourage excited greetings, jumping, etc. She may act up at first, especially if she's used to some sort of ruckus, but eventually she'll learn that she has to wait to get out of the crate and wait a few more minutes CALMLY before anyone pays her any heed. Shuffle her out the door for potty, bring her back in, stay calm a bit, then resume normal interactions. Bottom line: stay CALM. Act and move as if you've just done an hour of yoga and meditation, not as if you just drank a keg of Red Bull.
This goes for the whole family!

And make sure they get involved with her feeding, training, and exercise!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
When Raya is in her crate and she has to go potty she gets really agitated, spins and paws at her crate. I have been working with her to get her to settle down before I let her out of the crate. I have to be watchful of my body language when she comes out of her crate because she is a submissive peer.

My mom is only 5' 1" and Cheyenne is my social butterfly who will jump on people, so I have worked with my Mom and Cheyenne so she understands not to jump on my Mom.

I know it can be hard when you aren't there, but when you are you need to help your wife and son learn how to handle your dog and for the dog to understand that it MUST listen to them. That can include you stepping away from the care of the dog. You wife and son also need to learn the commands with the dog and things like Sit means Sit not jumping around like a silly pup. Have them use treats if they need to so the dog learns to listen to them.

Before I got my male pup at 16 weeks old, the owner had a little girl ( about 5 or so) and she taught him not to jump up and bite her. So people can learn how to handle crazy young dogs no matter what size they are.

Val

1 - 13 of 13 Posts