German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Omg Mei! I’m so sorry for not getting back to you. I haven’t been on the computer for a while.
I’m sure that you already spayed you pup, but in case you haven’t yet...
I did do the ovary sparing. I liked the fact that she will keep her hormones and eliminate, or reduce the certain cancers and joint problems that may have occurred. She did well. A quick recovery, and discomfort for one night.
My other girl had the conventional spay and did very well also. She lived till 13 years with no major problems.
Who knows...either way I think it comes down to a personal decision. ?

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
I was planning on maybe a partial spay but her last heat was weird: undefined start and bleeding for more than three weeks. Her moods were over the top as well, compared to previous heats. She is 5 years old and will be fully spayed in a few months. I also don't want to worry about pyo anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got my female Indian Pariah undergo a uterus removal (hystrectomy?) 4 years ago or so when she was about 1 year old and my male GSD was 6 months
The recovery took a week and a half - I would gladly recommend a procedure that keeps the hormones intact
The only downside is that the household gets somewhat unmanageable for brief period when she comes in heat but I can live with that

·
Registered
965 Posts
Omg Mei! I’m so sorry for not getting back to you. I haven’t been on the computer for a while.
I’m sure that you already spayed you pup, but in case you haven’t yet...
I did do the ovary sparing. I liked the fact that she will keep her hormones and eliminate, or reduce the certain cancers and joint problems that may have occurred. She did well. A quick recovery, and discomfort for one night.
My other girl had the conventional spay and did very well also. She lived till 13 years with no major problems.
Who knows...either way I think it comes down to a personal decision. ?
Hey, thanks! No, she's just about to hit a year old in a couple weeks, so she's still intact. I'm not planning on doing any procedure until shes at least two years. Her first heat came at like 6 or 7 months and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

So you did ovarian spare? You, and the girl of course, like the results? Does she still go into heat with this procedure? I still got a lot of research to do!

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Does she still go into heat with this procedure? I still got a lot of research to do!
Since they retain their hormones they will go into heat and are attractive to males.The only benefit is that she won't bleed. My vet said that the left "uterus stump" can stil get infected and if she were to mate, it can cause vaginal injury due to the altered tissue. These considerations made me decide for a full spay but it is a personal decision of course.
My earlier fear of urinary incontinence due to a full spay was eased by a retired vet whose experience in this regard was more an issue with Rottweilers and Dobermanns and not so much with our beauties.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
My vet doesn’t do them. How do you find one that does? Not that I need it any time soon. My male is intact and they don’t do vasectomies in male dogs either.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I know there is a Facebook page on ovariectomy that can direct you to a vet often it entails traveling. You do want to go to a vet you trust and highly recommended. People may have some recommendations you can look into and research.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Since they retain their hormones they will go into heat and are attractive to males.The only benefit is that she won't bleed. My vet said that the left "uterus stump" can stil get infected and if she were to mate, it can cause vaginal injury due to the altered tissue. These considerations made me decide for a full spay but it is a personal decision of course.
My earlier fear of urinary incontinence due to a full spay was eased by a retired vet whose experience in this regard was more an issue with Rottweilers and Dobermanns and not so much with our beauties.
Really? I've seen dogs of all shapes, sizes, and breeds with urinary incontinence due to spay. I wasn't aware it much to do with specific breeds. One of them I just saw recently being rehomed I think was a GSD/herding breed mix. I know the age of spay can definitely play apart. If it's more prevalent in rotties/Dobermans that would indicate an underlying issue in the breed to me which could be interesting.

Edit:

https://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/dp/49

Just glanced at this article and something popped out at me that I hadn't considered. I do know that improperly docked tails can cause urinary incontinence as the nerves that come out of the spine that help to control the bladder come out toward the base of the tail. Hence why people can urinate themselves if they hit their tailbones hard enough. So this wouldn't be spay incontince or perhaps improper docking combined with spay gives them a higher chance. If he had issues with it with dogs he personally docked he could've been cutting tails too short. If it's the breed in general though that would be my first guess. And interestingly enough GSDs are on the increased risk list with docked tail breeds.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I think she mentioned is what the vet saw- their experience. Some vets are familiar with a certain breed and patients do flock to those vets. I do not believe it’s breed specific but do wonder if it is genetic.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts