German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I meant ovariectomy...oops
just wondering...pros and cons of removing just the ovaries opposed to complete hysterectomy or ovary sparing. What I have read, so far, is that it just makes for a quicker recovery, smaller incision and less pain.
Very confusing with these new spay options out there!
Would appreciate any other info.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yet the hormone cycle is different in woman than in bitches. It seems to me that neutering a male dog and loss of testosterone is more of a change for them than spaying a female as far as behaviour goes. Bitches only get funny, like with PMS, or extreme clingyness, or more reactive and emotional twice a year and for for a short time. I think having hormones while the young dog is growing is beneficial, sure. I notice that male police and military dogs (not drug and bomb sniffers) are almost never neutered while bitches almost always are done with ovariohysterectomy.

I had them left in me. But my new gyno says Why? All they will do is have a chance to get ovarian cancer. Now I have to take estrogen anyway (my choice).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Will check out the link

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up having everything out. Wish I kept the ovaries. The decisions are so very hard to make
Thank you

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
I’m struggling the same question with Luna. I had talked to a few vets and they do not do it but I can travel. Not an easy decision still reading about it. If I do decide to do the complete spay I will wait till Luna is a bit older she is only 1 years old so I have time and will be just as unsure!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jenny, the more that I’m researching, it appears that taking just the ovaries is the same as a full hysterectomy and the benefit is a quicker recovery time, smaller incision and less pain. I can’t find anything negative written.
I have time also so I guess I’ll just keep researching ?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Yes I don’t know much about a ovariectomy. I will have to research that myself. The full spay’s dogs recover remarkably fast- 10 days. I did have many females spayed early that lived long healthy lives. I do know hormones are beneficial. I wonder if it’s like the oss where stump pyo can be a concern if all not removed.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If the uterus is left but without heat periods from no ovaries can there still be risk of pyometra?

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
If the uterus is left but without heat periods from no ovaries can there still be risk of pyometra?
I was told "No" because you take away the hormones. I think it is similar than a full spay, hormone-wise. I wonder if the uterus saving surgery has less side effects than the ovary sparing one especially at a later age. (Deja is 4 years old). It seems with humans that the uterus helps support the internal organs. Not sure if this translates to dogs as well.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe with the ovary sparing, that they can still go through some kind of a heat cycle and if they are around an intact male, there can be problems. If you don’t want to contend with that, I think taking the ovaries would be a better choice. There is no risk for pyo once the ovaries are gone.
Similar to a full spay but with less recovery and pain.
I was talking to my vet and she mentioned something about having less thyroid problems also. I didn’t get into it that much but will definitely go over everything in detail when I’m ready to spay

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Yes no risk of pyo once the ovaries were gone yes. My concern and what I was questioning -if there are the same risks if ovarian tissue is left behind as their is still risk of stump pyo if uterine tissue is left behind in ovary sparing spays. I suppose you would have to really trust your vet. I know skilled surgeons and laser surgery makes a world of a difference even if for a full spay.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Yes no risk of pyo once the ovaries were gone yes. My concern and what I was questioning -if there are the same risks if ovarian tissue is left behind as their is still risk of stump pyo if uterine tissue is left behind in ovary sparing spays. I suppose you would have to really trust your vet. I know skilled surgeons and laser surgery makes a world of a difference even if for a full spay.
Yes, the stump can still cause a Pyo so that in itself is not a reassurance for me. Also being bred (no risk for pregnancy) can cause injury because of the changes needed for that kind of surgery according to my vet. I don't recall the details regarding the 'why'.
I will see how it plays out with the male pup if he grows up. If it is do-able, I will leave her intact, possibly board her at the breeder during her heat,

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Yes, the stump can still cause a Pyo so that in itself is not a reassurance for me. Also being bred (no risk for pregnancy) can cause injury because of the changes needed for that kind of surgery according to my vet. I don't recall the details regarding the 'why'.
I will see how it plays out with the male pup if he grows up. If it is do-able, I will leave her intact, possibly board her at the breeder during her heat,
No not very reassuring. A relative has boxers a intact male and female the breeder lives around the block so they board her at the breeders when the female is in heat. Which works out great that way. They also get to board the dogs when they go away so equally lucky!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very good points being shared. I know that in the UK, all spays are done with removing only the ovaries. I’ve read that when this person from the UK brought his dog to the US, his vet told him that his dog was not spayed. He explained that this was how we, in the UK, do it.
So, I presume that this is a very new procedure that many vets are not familiar with. I know that the uterine sparing is becoming very popular among vets but I think I would have more concerns about that procedure opposed to the ovary removal.
Decision, decisions!! I’m leaning towards the removal of ovaries with the conversation of concern about leaving any ovarian tissue behind.
Thank you all for your input ? Very informative.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had to google to see what you were talking about. In the UK it's often called by a different name and can only be done for bitches over a certain weight (which is all GSD's ) and not all vets do it. My girl had what we refer to here a 'Lap Spay', 3 months after her first heat. Small wounds, very little recovery time which was great for my 'busy' pup. In fact apart from a shaved stomach and a check up after a week, you wouldn't know she had had it. A more expensive option here but for us it was worth it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, that’s what I get for reading 1 article..can’t find much about this.
I’m glad to hear that she did so well! Will probably do the same with my girl ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jenny, the more that I’m researching, it appears that taking just the ovaries is the same as a full hysterectomy and the benefit is a quicker recovery time, smaller incision and less pain. I can’t find anything negative written.
I have time also so I guess I’ll just keep researching ?
I'm also researching this (will spay my girl in March) and agree that a Laparoscopic Spay's (Ovariectomy) main advantages is a much less invasive surgery, less pain and quicker recovery.

Looks like in my area I have three common options -

Low Cost Spay, full hysterectomy - less than $100 - Often very experienced/capable vets that are able to perform the surgery FAST. Typically a non-monitored anesthesia, no pre-surgery blood work. Problems might get missed.

Full Service Vet, full hysterectomy - $400-$700 - Pre-op blood work to look for possible issues and select best anesthesia. Will probably monitor vitals during surgery. Most likely use an IV for fluids. And hopefully catch any problems early.

Laparoscopic Spay, Ovariectomy - $700-$1200 - less invasive surgery, less pain and quicker recovery

Still not sure what to do, but leaning towards Ovariectiomy.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Solamar, I agree. I think, though it’s a little pricey, it’s worth it.
IMO, I wouldn’t do any surgery without a blood workup. You just never know if there’s something going on, and I can’t believe that they would not monitor while under anesthesia!
I’ll be speaking to my vet on Thursday to pick her brains. If all sounds good, I’ll be scheduling in 2 weeks. I can’t research any longer....I’m going blind! Lol
Wishing you luck in whatever you decide ?

·
Registered
958 Posts
@annie827 What did you end up doing? I'm curious and have been researching as well. If you have any good links that would be great. I have a lot of time to make a decision still, Mei is only 5 months.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts