German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what your guys' take on this was.

Personally, I don't see the point of having a yard decoration that you have to feed, water, pick up after, and listen to bark because they're bored and lonely. (This is what I'm asking about when I say outside dog - one that never comes inside, just sits in the yard).

Why would someone want an outside dog? Just to have a dog? I don't get it. :confused:

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
i don't get it either. my friends in laws have this lab who's stuck out side all day and night. She feels bad so she lets her in when they're not home, provided Indy listens.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Most of the time I don't agree with keeping dogs outside.

However....

When I had working Border Collies they were always kept outside, they were not kenneled, they were free to roam the farm as they pleased. But unlike most dogs who are just kept in a back yard, these dogs were worked everyday; moving herds of sheep to one field to the next. They got filthy, covered in mud and sheep poo, just not practical for living in a house. Plus I don’t even think they would even settle in the house, they enjoyed hunting voles during the night.

Farm dogs, or working dogs who have something (a job) to do during the day, yes I think it’s acceptable to keep outside. Dogs who are just yard ornaments or “protection” I don’t see the point. My GSD is kept in the house.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Farm dogs, or working dogs who have something (a job) to do during the day, yes I think it’s acceptable to keep outside.
That, I think is fine. But when it's just a living lawn ornament, I don't see the point. Not fair to the dog, money pit for the person, IMO. Just don't get it.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Most of the time I don't agree with keeping dogs outside.

However....

When I had working Border Collies they were always kept outside, they were not kenneled, they were free to roam the farm as they pleased. But unlike most dogs who are just kept in a back yard, these dogs were worked everyday; moving herds of sheep to one field to the next. They got filthy, covered in mud and sheep poo, just not practical for living in a house. Plus I don’t even think they would even settle in the house, they enjoyed hunting voles during the night.

Farm dogs, or working dogs who have something (a job) to do during the day, yes I think it’s acceptable to keep outside. Dogs who are just yard ornaments or “protection” I don’t see the point. My GSD is kept in the house.
that's different, that I agree with, it's the people that have dogs kept outside, but don't do anything with them that's what I don't get nor agree with.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Absolutely no idea why someone would get a dog and just leave them outside all day. Makes zero sense to me.

I actually didn't know people still did this kind of stuff. I thought it was kind of an old school way of thinking by keeping dogs outside in their dog house, but I guess it's still pretty common in parts of this country from what's mentioned on this board.

I dont think I know anyone that leaves their dogs outside on a permanent basis.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
My last 2 dogs were outside dogs, but we let them in if it rained and they were able to go in and out of the garage as they pleased. Molly and Tanner are more inside than outside.

But if its a situation like Greydusk described then I don't mind. My cousin lives on a bunch of land and they have goats and such and have Great Prynese(sp?) who is always outside, they bring him inside sometimes, but he rather be outside.

But keeping a dog outside 24/7 for "decoration" or "protection" is not right, IMO.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I don't have a problem with it if all of the dog's needs are met and it prefers that living situation.
I don't either. Actually, I find more unnerving the "dog can't be NEVER in the (fenced) yard alone". I don't keep the dogs only outside, but they are not glued to me all day either, less in summer.

I don't see the point of having an animal if you will not let them be animals or will keep them crated indoor 8 or more hours every day, that is me.

I think many of you tend to forget that the concept of dogs, at least big dogs, as indoor pets is a cultural thing. Very few places on the world share that view and it's something recent. If the cultural change is the same related to dyed poodles, purse chihuahuas and "furkids" then I feel that if we end up copying that here it will very much like opening Mc Donald franchises in my town.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

Ditto. Its completely different with working dogs, than someone who just buys a dog and leaves them on a chain in the backyard. There is a house behind me with a dog like that, drives me nuts :( It you want security, get a %Y^$% security system, not a dog to chain up.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have a doggy door, so the dogs go in and out as they please. It's kind of funny, 'cause sometimes Shelbye will come in covered in dirt and dead grass, looking happy as could be. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
It doesn't give me heartburn, a lot of people in this area have outdoor dogs. When I first moved here I was the oddball for having GERMAN SHEPHERDS living in the house!

My first dog, a Cocker, was an outside dog ... his choice not ours. He HATED being in the house ... he stay in for a couple minutes then he'd be at the door whinning to be let back out. On bitter cold nights he was forced to sleep in my room, something that made him very unhappy ... he'd stay up half the night pacing and panting and crying. FWIW he had access to an under-the-house garage that had a doggy door, a dog house, warm bedding, etc.

My next door neighbors of 15 plus years have outdoor dogs that have access to their garage, beds, etc. On bitter cold nights they put a heater in the garage. The dogs are happy, the neighbors spend almost all day outside working in the yard until it gets dark. The dogs always seem happy!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've got a combination. Some are just outside dogs, and some are both inside and outside dogs. I think it's wierd when people have indoors only dogs. :p

Here's a couple of my outdoor only dogs...(they have been indoors on occasion, but not very often) The "job" is stock guardians. Their charge will be the smaller livestock. My Blue heeler is cow dog. My border is actually an "indoor" dog. Actually it is with me all the time, so when I am in, he is, and when I am out he is as well. He's super sensitive (border trait). My lab and german shepherd will come and go as they wish too, except I still have my gsd pretty confined untill her treatments are over.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
A lot of people get puppies on impulse or because they're cute. As soon as they get big, make messes, and start to shed/drool/hump/eat stuff off counters, they get chained out.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Oh I totally agree with the "yard decoration" thing. I guess maybe some people just like the idea of having a dog but don't actually want to work or live with one?

I've seen several dogs like that in my neighborhood, I feel sorry for them. I live in the city and these were not "working dogs" they were "sit in a tiny backyard all day dogs".

Of course just because a dog is an "inside dog" doesn't mean they have it a lot better than the "outside dogs". My next-door neighbors for example. They got a Lab mix puppy. I tried to help them with her, I lent them a crate and explained how to crate train properly, gave them a bunch of puppy books and so on. They left the puppy in the crate all day, except when she was outside and then they wondered why she was so "hyper" when she was let out of the crate, especially as she got into the teenage phase. They ended up taking her to a shelter when she was about 14 months old.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My folks live on a farm, and their dogs live outside, because my step mother now has allergies, that unfortunately pet dander in the house increases the symptoms and issues. They are very happy outside, they have their houses, lots of bedding, toys, and they follow my dad around, into the mill, they get tennis balls thrown for them (if they havent forgotten where they buried them), and they are free to chase the gray diggers (kind of a ground squirrel that digs under foundations and creates havoc). that and the coveys of quail that come visit. Thats how it is where I am from...dogs live outside, unless they are spoiled rotten...or they are utterly housebroke. We have dogs in our local town that wander down to the cafe, and lay out on the bench, to get loved on by all the town kids as they walk home. We have dogs that go pick the kids up from school and take them home. Granted, this is a town of 90 people. No local police, no animal control. There is only a yellow flasher at the school for traffic control.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have a problem with the dogs chained up in the back yard far corner away from everything and get tossed food once every day or so. But dogs that are outside alot I'm ok with so long as they get out to do stuff.

I have dogs outside in a kennel (building with runs) and dogs in a fenced-in backyard that come inside too. My dogs get out and go places, get trained and do much more than most dogs kept inside while their owners work. I'm happy. My dogs are happy. I don't think it is so much where a dog lives, but how it lives.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Dogs Deserve Better is trying to get dogs off chains. Dogs Deserve Better Home Page: No Chained Dogs!
I think a farm/working dog situation is healthy, the dogs mental state is much better than a dog that is tethered to a chain 24/7. It is cruel and inhumane, IMO.
If I see a dog chained out, I'll place a DDB flier in the owners paperbox or front door. A dog that lives in a run that never gets mental stimulation is living a sad life.
Many times a dog is outdoors, has no manners inside and smells, so that is the excuse of the owner to not let the dog in.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
The dogs here that live outside fall into 2 categories: chained/kenneled 24/7 or just dumped ootside and left to roam wherever.

I don't agree with either. My neighbor has a cocker that is a kennel dog. If they want to take his out of his run, they actually give him valium to knock him out. He is never messed with besides given food and water. When he gets too matted, they drug him and shave off all his hair. He is even fed with one of the big "vacatuon feeders" that only has to be filled once a week. So that is about how often he sees people.

Other neighbors have dogs that roam the neighborhhod killing livestock and playing in traffic. There might be a pan of food dumped outside if the owners happen to notice that it is empty.

Working dogs or those whose owners spend a lot of time outside with them are an entirely different subject. I think the OP was talking about those that only see people for a few minutes at feeding time and don't ever get any exercise.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts