German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I begin, I must say this whole situation is my fault for ignorantly buying Rocky from a backyard breeder. However, I am still a little mad at Banfield and TONS at the breeder.

--------------------------------

At 7am I dropped Rocky off at Banfield for his neutering.

At 9:30 I get a phone call from the doctor(this is shortened):

Doctor: "Hi, I'm calling about Rocky. His testicles have not descended so I wanted to let you know that I recommend that he goes home and you bring him back in a few months when they have."

Me: ??? (I swear I have seen them! ) "Ok, well I will come get him"

Doctor: "It's going to be $130...since he didn't get neutered the bloodwork is no longer for free. The bloodwork was done before I checked him out"

Me: ..........."What are the other options since he is already there?"

Doctor: "We can do the cryptoid (<---SPelling?) surgery where we go in deeper and try to find his testicles in ____ (<---forgot name) tube. It will be $80."

So I call my mom and dad (haha does anyone else do this when they need advice?) and they say to get the surgery done because who knows if they will drop.

I tell the doctor to proceed and we hang up.

11:30am I get a phone call from the doctor.

Doctor: "Well I can't find his testicles so would you like to go ahead and do the abdominal surgery and try to find them. It will cost significantly more"

Me: "I swear I have seen them. Can you just wait a little bit and try to look around a little more?"

Doctor: "I think what you saw was fat deposits but I will give you a call back"

11:45am Next phone call

Doctor: "Where did you get rocky from?" (<--in a scary voice)

Me: silence......"From a cop in san antonio."

Doctor "Well, I hate to say this but I think Rocky was already neutered. There is a scar on his scrotum and we can do a testosterone test for $130 but I am pretty sure he is already neutered. I would recommend sewing him up and picking him up and coming back later if his testicles come from somwhere. I'm pretty sure he is neutered though."

Transfered to nurse...

Nurse: "Well you can come pick Rocky up at 5pm. It will be 425.00$ because the bloodwork, the surgeries, and etc. (<---forgot the other things they said) Since he didn't get neutered it is no longer in your plan.

Me: "I'm going to call my parents and I will get back to you"

So I called my dad and mom and told them what was happening and they were outraged...they said I shouldn't have to pay the money...I didn't know he was neutered and the vet should not have PUSHED me to neuter at 6 months (I wanted to at a year and a half but they bugged me every 3 weeks about it and scared me that he would get aggressive) and a lot more.

Then I get another call from Banfield and my friend that works there is on the phone.

She got them to drop any charges except for his pain medication!!!! Except that if I bring him in later to get neutered while I am on that plan, I will have to pay the 425+.
------------------------------------

I am not that mad at Banfield because I don't know how they should have proceeded (Does anyone know ?) but they caused me a ton of anguish. I missed all three of my classes and sat at home (I live across the street from petsmart) because they made it sound like he was about to undergo a terrible surgery and something was wrong with him.

I am SO UPSET at the BYB!!! How dare he sell me a puppy and not tell me it had been NEUTERED!!!! Rocky underwent surgery for NO reason!! Who neuters a puppy at SIX WEEKS!!!!

Yes I KNOW I took a risk buying him from a BYB so please don't lecture me on that.

I just can't believe what kind of person would do that! I called his cell and left a message but I am expecting none in return.

(((To any who don't know, the original owner had to AKC gsd but bred the female before she was 2, which was against his contract and could have the female taken back. I am assuming this is why he did it.)))

I feel terrible about putting Rocky through this and I just don't know why someone would lie about neutering!! I NEVER would breed Rocky...he is a great dog but wouldn't better the breed.

Am I overreacting? OR would anyone else feel the same??

Can't wait to pick up my baby at 5PM!!!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Yeah, I'd be pretty upset. Banfield screwed up royally by trying to neuter a dog that was already neutered. A single retained testicle is pretty common, but they should have looked around a little more before cutting if there was no sign of any testicles.

I'd be very mad at the "breeder" who neutered your dog without even telling you.

·
Registered
32,041 Posts
ummm...I would highly suggest you contact the breeder to ask questions and possibly another vet for a second opinion. He did all that surgery and THEN noticed the scars?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Maybe see if your parents can go with you while you talk to the vet about his/her ineptness and their nerve for charging you for anything but the blood work. If there's the three of you talking to the one vet maybe you'll get somewhere. And I agree, I'd get a 2nd opinion after Rocky recovers.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. He went into the scrotum, some tubes, and the abdominal to look for them.

I feel like a vet should have seen the scar right when he was at the scrotum...how did he not see the scrotum scar until after he went into the abdominals?

I'm waiting for the breeder to call me back.

Now I'm kind of thinking maybe this is why Rocky is developing so slow.... He is 6 months and only 48 pounds. He fills out his frame perfectly, I just thought he was a slow bloomer.

:( My poor little guy

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mom would be great to go with me. She said she will drive in from Houston. It's funny that I'm 20 and still getting mom and dad to help me.

I'm waiting for my boyfriend to get out of class and then he is going with me up there to speak to them. He's very calm and collected but a little intimidating. I'm a pushover...except when it comes to Rocky!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh yeah, I'd definitely have a talk with the vet- he should be willing to waive the surgery costs since he admitted he saw the scar afterward.

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Is it just me or does this sound odd??? Why would a BYB spend any money and neuter a puppy at 6 weeks??? :thinking: I HATE Banfield, their vets are the one that no other regular vet office will hire!!!

I will never forget the day I took my Blossom in to Banfield (years ago) after her spay cause she had a reaction to stitches. They wanted to do another surgery and charge me $600!!!! :mad: Thank goodness I decided to take her to another vet, all they had to do was aspirate the fluid and put her on antibiotics.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He said he cut fat out....and I don't know why a BYB would do that! I am so confused at the whole situation...just wish the person would call me back. :(

Has anyone else ever had a dog where they just couldn't find the testicles? I am hoping it is the vet's mistake ( in which case I will switch) and not the byb

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
A scar can be very light and small, especially if the dog/puppy was neutered at such a young age. The vet really had no reason to "explore" the possibilities that the puppy may have been already altered...especially if the owner brought the puppy specifically for that procedure....?!
My "fury" would primarily be directed to the breeder/seller of the puppy....
I think speaking to the vet, and explaining your concerns...perhaps he/she will negotiate the fees incurred..?!
...just my opinion...

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
By the way......I am NO FAN OF BANFIELD....period.
I simply wanted to state a possible scenario....

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you so much for the recommendation!!!!! I have been looking around for vets but I don't know anyone here with GSD. I will definitely be visiting his clinic as soon as Rocky is better.

·
Registered
32,041 Posts
Is it just me or does this sound odd??? Why would a BYB spend any money and neuter a puppy at 6 weeks??? :thinking:
Nope...me too. I don't know anything about Banfield. I understand Robin's statement as well. But because it doesn't seem right that a BYB would neuter at 6 weeks, I would want to verify with the breeder and get a second opinion if the BYB says he wasn't neutered, before paying the bill.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
from what I understand, Banfield says they will only charge you for medication but if you bring him back to be neutered it would cost your the 400+? 1. I think that's reasonable of them if I'm not reading it wrong and 2. I would never use banfield either.

I would also want to know from your 'breeder' whether he was neutered at 6 weeks and WHY didn't they tell you??

a little OT re:Banfield, here in ct, a very prominent woman vet worked for Banfield for years, she also gave big discounts and sometimes free services to rescues/shelter animals..Banfield told her to STOP they weren't in business to give out 'freebies'..So she quit and started her own practice.

·
Registered
32,041 Posts
Diane - I read it as they charged $425 for the bloodwork and exploratory surgery.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts