German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

A while back i posted about having Oleander bushes along my fence line approximately 100 feet in length and 12 feet tall. Oleander as we all know is very toxic to dogs. Fortunately my past two dogs never showed any interest in it. I am planning to get a pup soon if all goes according to plan with litter and breeder. Others suggested that I have the whole thing taken out which is easier said than done and I may move house in the next year. My neighbors on both sides of fence appreciate the privacy. I'm thinking of getting an outdoor "play pen" that I would use when I'm out in the backyard. Can folks PM me any brands they would recommend and sizing ? This would be only when the dog is young and at the chewing stage. I have a dog run here also , crate indoor and outdoor and plan on having dog with me next to me inside and outside as much as humanly possible. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
Kimber 3, MacGyver 3 1/2, and Gracie my one year old cat.
32 Posts
Hello

A while back i posted about having Oleander bushes along my fence line approximately 100 feet in length and 12 feet tall. Oleander as we all know is very toxic to dogs. Fortunately my past two dogs never showed any interest in it. I am planning to get a pup soon if all goes according to plan with litter and breeder. Others suggested that I have the whole thing taken out which is easier said than done and I may move house in the next year. My neighbors on both sides of fence appreciate the privacy. I'm thinking of getting an outdoor "play pen" that I would use when I'm out in the backyard. Can folks PM me any brands they would recommend and sizing ? This would be only when the dog is young and at the chewing stage. I have a dog run here also , crate indoor and outdoor and plan on having dog with me next to me inside and outside as much as humanly possible. Thanks everyone.
You also may consider using inexpensive field fencing in 100’ rolls. Maybe 6 or 8’ tall and use those green metal fence stakes to support the fence. And when you move you can simply take it with you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You also may consider using inexpensive field fencing in 100’ rolls. Maybe 6 or 8’ tall and use those green metal fence stakes to support the fence. And when you move you can simply take it with you.
Thank you very much I will look into that!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like this idea a lot I will look into it. Thank you!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like this idea a lot I will look into it. Thank you!!
I looked up field fencing last night. Lots of varieties.....any recommendations of what would work best?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I looked up field fencing last night. Lots of varieties.....any recommendations of what would work best?
Mine was an opening of 2” by 4”. Mine was 5 ft tall but I didn’t have a shepherd at the time so it was only 5 ft tall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
And those stakes need to be 1 or 2 ft higher than the fence height so when you put them in the ground 1 or 2 feet it will be level with the top of the fence. Also I found a very quick way to remove most fence posts... there are videos on YouTube about using a car’s hydraulic jack placed close to the post and wrap a heavy chain around the post attached to the jack. Then pump the jack and the posts slide out fast. I removed all of my green posts and 2 wooden posts in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
And the height? I think 6 or 8 ft. But at least 6 feet. You may want to check with other shepherd people here to be sure.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I think it depends. I don't leave my dog unattended in the yard. We have pretty much a standard chain link fence on two sides and field fence on the back so only about 4 ft tall. That's fine since I'm with him. Knowing how determined diggers GSDs are, I wouldn't ever leave him in the yard regardless of how high the fence was.

·
Registered
10,911 Posts
We have a 4.5 ft high fence and none have jumped or even tried to jump over it because they are not alone in there. Realize that a pen will block access from your pup to you and GSDs don't like that, if your goal is to have him exercise in a pen. When my dogs are in the small fenced yard next to the house and I am walking over to the mail box, they are not playing but waiting and relieved that I came back. They must have been terrified that they would never see me again.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
My male can jump 4.5 fence it’s exactly how it happens. I was in the front yard walking down the driveway to the mail box when he was in the back yard and sailed right over to the fence to be reunited. He enjoyed that much so we added deer fencing on top of our existing fencing to heighten it. Which doesn’t block the view of all the trees and woods. You can double up the deer /field fencing on top use zip ties to secure it to make it taller. You can either make a small area in your yard or you can block off all your bushes with the fencing. It’s good to keep on eye on them when they are out there as they can dig underneath the fencing if super bored and unsupervised. They have outdoor kennels runs also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello

Thank you very much I will look into that!
It would be great to post on the site a comprehensive list from experienced GSD owners of toxic plants since you mentioned oleander. I don't always rely on internet information because it's so varied and maybe unreliable. Just a thought!?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts