German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I think OP joined this community looking for camaraderie and compassion for a previously indoor dog that was tossed outside and is not making the transition and is mournfully reacting to her distress.

It's sad when a person can't find compassion for our breed on a German Shepherd forum and is not given the benefit of the doubt nor was the GSD in question provided with any concern.

There was much unknown here and since OP seems to have been run off, we will never find out. I do hope that OP does not walk away from this dog in need if not for any other reason than I find it very worrisome that the only shelter these outdoor dogs have is an unheated outdoor building. After all, it is the middle of winter and that is inadequate for outdoor dogs let alone a housedog that has not grown an appropriate coat to protect itself in a well sheltered outdoor setting let alone an out building.

I wonder if some people have ever heard the wails of an outdoor dog with inadequate shelter in the depths of winter. It's a horrible sound I hope to never hear again.

I hope this member pursues a better remedy for this poor dog in distress. Dogs don't wail for no reason.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I’m appalled that a few posts here have been so judgmental the OP felt he had no choice but to leave. I noticed he owns labs, so this is likely his only online contact with German Shepherd owners. How sad that we have more compassion for dogs than for people trying to help them. What kind of ambassadors are we for our forum and in extension, for our breed? If he was a nosy neighbor, he would not have come to us for advice, he would have done something else. If we can’t help someone who needs us, what are we doing here?

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
I live in Canada. It gets cold here. Lots of dogs live outside.
Most of the Americans I know are pretty militant about privacy and their right to do as they will on their property.
As I said, if the issue is concern for the dogs call AC but generally speaking questions like this are really about poor fluffy being left alone. No one else on the planet is obligated to treat their dogs the way I treat mine and I find it rather disturbing that people think that way.
Further to that if people can't abide differing opinions then their own we are in serious trouble.
Cold is relative. I walked around southern Cal in January in a t shirt. People told me to put a parka on. What some folks consider cold is really not.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
A dog wailing in distress all day and night is not a matter of nuisance barking nor about disapproval of someone else's freedom of choice in tending their dog. For all we know, this same dog may be getting brutalized by its kennel mate or being kept from eating by its kennel mate and is starving. I have seen that a lot. I never owned a dog that habitually wailed day and night for no reason and find this situation particularly disturbing based on what little information that has been provided. I do know of dogs that wailed that were under dire distress. I feel sorry for any dog whose owners or neighbors think that a wailing dog hidden behind a privacy fence is nobody's business.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Most of the Americans I know are pretty militant about privacy and their right to do as they will on their property.
Just going to preface this by saying I did not read the entire post and that my dogs are inside but I do absolutely feel like what I do on my property is my business. HOWEVER, if an animal is endangered, stressed, or uncomfortable, it should absolutely be dealt with by any means necessary. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
A dog wailing in distress all day and night is not a matter of nuisance barking nor about disapproval of someone else's freedom of choice in tending their dog. For all we know, this same dog may be getting brutalized by its kennel mate or being kept from eating by its kennel mate and is starving. I have seen that a lot. I never owned a dog that habitually wailed day and night for no reason and find this situation particularly disturbing based on what little information that has been provided. I do know of dogs that wailed that were under dire distress. I feel sorry for any dog whose owners or neighbors think that a wailing dog hidden behind a privacy fence is nobody's business.
Far too many people exaggerate what they hear and let their emotions control them. A growl means murder is occurring (when it's really a dog playing or disliking the FedEx guy). A cry means the dog is at death's door (when it's really just bored--this is most likely the issue). A bark means it's a nuisance that barks all day and night (when it's only been barking for a minute or two and only periodically).

Sure, abuse happens all the time. I'm extremely hesitant to claim abuse as I've encountered far too many people who throw that word around like mud. Perhaps the OP lives somewhere where abuse is common. I doubt this just from the tone and behavior of other neighbors, and the fact that the neighbor with the dog has apologized and offered contact if his dog disturbs her again. That sounds like a normal neighborhood with relatively normal neighbors.

The OP did not describe pain, physical violence, starvation, lack of shelter, lack of water, or any other neglectful behavior other than the dog lives outside and would rather be inside and whines about it.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Far too many people exaggerate what they hear and let their emotions control them. A growl means murder is occurring (when it's really a dog playing or disliking the FedEx guy). A cry means the dog is at death's door (when it's really just bored--this is most likely the issue). A bark means it's a nuisance that barks all day and night (when it's only been barking for a minute or two and only periodically).

Sure, abuse happens all the time. I'm extremely hesitant to claim abuse as I've encountered far too many people who throw that word around like mud. Perhaps the OP lives somewhere where abuse is common. I doubt this just from the tone and behavior of other neighbors, and the fact that the neighbor with the dog has apologized and offered contact if his dog disturbs her again. That sounds like a normal neighborhood with relatively normal neighbors.

The OP did not describe pain, physical violence, starvation, lack of shelter, lack of water, or any other neglectful behavior other than the dog lives outside and would rather be inside and whines about it.
Pure speculation. If you don't know, ask. A GSD may be experiencing abuse and neglect as we speak not due to someone not trying to get help but due to that someone not being able to get help.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts

Agree 100%! Bud used to bark when put in his run. I got actual threats from one neighbor. I documented it for A MONTH! He barked when the pushy neighbor stood at the fence, he barked if someone came up the driveway, he barked if a loose dog came in the yard. He did howl like he was being murdered if I did not bring him in before dark!
Easy fix, but a casual observer may have assumed he was being mistreated. I had a neighbor who was convinced my dogs were vicious and I had a lady actually call and report abuse because my dogs were crated.

I know there are members on this forum whose dogs are primarily kenneled.
I know there are members whose dogs live outside.
My dog sleeps on my bed and watches Live PD on HER TV. To each their own.
If the OP thinks there is an issue, then a call to AC is in order. Based on the info provided, there is solely disapproval of methods. And that is no ones business.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I still think when someone comes to us for help, we should be as kind as we can be while we are sorting out their stories. I have seen three this week that don’t make a lot of sense to me, but not everybody communicates well in this format. Instead of running them off, I would rather see us asking questions and answering what they have asked rather than jumping to criticize them or giving them advice they haven’t asked for. If someone asks for help, telling them it’s none of their business just makes them leave. Criticizing them means they won’t learn what we have to offer.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts