German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Labs, but a neighbor has 2 GSD’s that are kept outside. They have a very small pen and access to an outbuilding that is not heated. Even in fair weather one of the dogs has a mournful cry. Sometimes it keeps neighbors awake and most think the dog is injured or has other health issues. I talked to the owner. He claims the dog just needs to adjust to its new home. I think the dog is yearning to socialize with its humans. Any advice? I would hate to have the Sheriff or Humane Society intervene.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
It likely does want to be with its humans. German shepherd are too social to be good outside dogs, imo. On top of that, why have a dog just to keep it outside and not interact with it? Unfortunately I don’t think there’s much you can do unless the dog is being neglected in some way. You’ll have to call AC or look up the laws in your area to find out what’s required for a dog to be outside. Or if the dog is making too much noise, call in a noise complaint and hope something happens for the poor guy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Kind of a tricky situation. Are they enclosed in the pen all day as well as at night? I hate seeing people get dogs that they ignore or don't give a good life to, but that's not strictly an inside vs outside issue. I know outside dogs that are perfectly content, not confined, and have owners who give them love and attention.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It likely does want to be with its humans. German shepherd are too social to be good outside dogs, imo. On top of that, why have a dog just to keep it outside and not interact with it? Unfortunately I don’t think there’s much you can do unless the dog is being neglected in some way. You’ll have to call AC or look up the laws in your area to find out what’s required for a dog to be outside. Or if the dog is making too much noise, call in a noise complaint and hope something happens for the poor guy.
Thank you for your response. My assessment was that GSD’s, like Labs are very social, people dogs. The owner thinks they will be good watch dogs for his property. I think a good security camera would be better than a dog penned up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kind of a tricky situation. Are they enclosed in the pen all day as well as at night? I hate seeing people get dogs that they ignore or don't give a good life to, but that's not strictly an inside vs outside issue. I know outside dogs that are perfectly content, not confined, and have owners who give them love and attention.
It appears the dogs don’t get much human interaction. If it gets too cold, or I rattle his cage, he brings the dogs into the laundry room. He said they would tear up his house. Thank you for your thoughts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
the owner thinks they will be good watch dogs for his property? Bizarre. All they have to watch over is the pen they are in. duh. And knowing GS's their first thought is to get out of the pen and become a 'stray'. Whether you do something or not chances are they will end up at the shelter. In that all my dogs have been strays from the shelter (except the chicken thief who was ordered out of a neighboring county) all I can say is, Thank you! I don't think your neighbor is a good owner. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
They would be better watch dogs indoors. Outdoors, someone could still break in from the front of the house. A dog inside is more of an unknown for an intruder. Yes, if they are kept outside and untrained, they will tear up the house if left alone indoors. Not if they are trained, though. German Shepherds need a lot of human interaction. His dogs need some amount of training before they will do what your neighbor wants them to do. Send him over here. We will give him good advice and help.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm going to take the harsh road here.

If they dogs are well fed, watered, provided with sufficient shelter (GSDs don't need a heated shelter, just one small enough to retain heat, dry, and without drafts), and are not obviously sick or injured, it's no real business of yours where their dogs live (indoor vs outdoor) or what the owner does with their dogs.

I get where you're coming from. I do. If the dogs were in dire straits, a call to Animal Control would be a good idea. If they're just fine and healthy, a call to Animal Control is nosy and boundary-breaking.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Maybe you can give the house dog turned out a little bit of attention?

·
Registered
420 Posts
People suck and many shouldn't have dogs period. GSD's are very social and need their people. It's sad but nothing you can do unless the dogs are being neglected.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I have Labs, but a neighbor has 2 GSD’s that are kept outside. They have a very small pen and access to an outbuilding that is not heated. Even in fair weather one of the dogs has a mournful cry. Sometimes it keeps neighbors awake and most think the dog is injured or has other health issues. I talked to the owner. He claims the dog just needs to adjust to its new home. I think the dog is yearning to socialize with its humans. Any advice? I would hate to have the Sheriff or Humane Society intervene.
If the dogs are disturbing you then it is your right to have the behavior stopped, either by reporting nuisance barking or by speaking with the owner.
If your sole concern is that he does not treat his dogs as you would like then frankly it's none of your business.
I personally would never keep a dog outside, but as long as they're fed, watered, have a clean area and shelter from the elements it is the owners right to do so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to take the harsh road here.

If they dogs are well fed, watered, provided with sufficient shelter (GSDs don't need a heated shelter, just one small enough to retain heat, dry, and without drafts), and are not obviously sick or injured, it's no real business of yours where their dogs live (indoor vs outdoor) or what the owner does with their dogs.

I get where you're coming from. I do. If the dogs were in dire straits, a call to Animal Control would be a good idea. If they're just fine and healthy, a call to Animal Control is nosy and boundary-breaking.
That was harsh and rude. The ”crying” dog breaks the boundary by disturbing the peace. I’m not alone, it’s a neighborhood issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the dogs are disturbing you then it is your right to have the behavior stopped, either by reporting nuisance barking or by speaking with the owner.
If your sole concern is that he does not treat his dogs as you would like then frankly it's none of your business.
I personally would never keep a dog outside, but as long as they're fed, watered, have a clean area and shelter from the elements it is the owners right to do so.
It’s a matter of disturbing the peace, bottom line.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Well, your original post reads like you just feel sorry for the dogs. We had a similar thread a while back. Poster did the same thing, started out claiming sympathy and concern for the poor dogs and then based on responses back peddled and cited disturbance.
This all reads to me like you dislike the way the dogs are treated and want your neighbor to fall in line with your, and other neighbors, ideas on dog care.
You will ultimately do as you please, if a disturbance is caused I would explain that to the owner and ask him for a timeline or alternate solution. Being that you are not liking responses, I suspect you won't be happy with his either.
I caution you against starting a battle with a neighbor. They seldom end well for anyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, your original post reads like you just feel sorry for the dogs. We had a similar thread a while back. Poster did the same thing, started out claiming sympathy and concern for the poor dogs and then based on responses back peddled and cited disturbance.
This all reads to me like you dislike the way the dogs are treated and want your neighbor to fall in line with your, and other neighbors, ideas on dog care.
You will ultimately do as you please, if a disturbance is caused I would explain that to the owner and ask him for a timeline or alternate solution. Being that you are not liking responses, I suspect you won't be happy with his either.
I caution you against starting a battle with a neighbor. They seldom end well for anyone.
I do feel sorry for the dog, and me and the neighbors that have to hear the “crying” while trying to sleep. After my initial face to face discussion with the owner, I called him and left a message. He implored that I call him if there were any future issues. He never called me back.

I received some good advice on this board and I appreciate it. I was a little surprised at the tone of a few respondents, however. So in your words I am “backpedaling “ off this board.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Don't go yet! Do you think this man might give the dog up? Or maybe you or someone in the neighborhood can walk him?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Please don’t be upset. Your original post wasn’t clear to us. We answered what we thought was your question. I see two different issues. Are the dogs neglected or unsafe and what can or should you do? That is what most people replied to. The second is that they are a noise nuisance. In that case, the answer is clear. Call AC and tell them the dogs are keeping you awake at night. They will investigate and take further action if any needs to be taken.

AC is limited in what they can do. The owner could benefit from more information about the breed.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That was harsh and rude. The ”crying” dog breaks the boundary by disturbing the peace. I’m not alone, it’s a neighborhood issue.
Told ya I was going to be harsh.

I won't answer for others here. My response was based off of experiences with neighbors who stick their noses into everyone's business. Your first post came off sounding like the type of neighbor who gets people to feel "concerned" about something another neighbor is doing (leaving the dog outside to cry) for the purpose of curing a different issue (dog is making lots of noise). It's a left-handed way of approaching a problem that is needlessly manipulative.

Anyway, if the issue was a noise disturbance, why didn't you say so in the first place? My answer would have been completely different. If it's a noise issue, then take a look at your local ordinances regarding how much noise is considered a nuisance. Ask your neighbor to try to do something to quiet the dogs more (more exercise probably). If that doesn't work, then AC might be able to issue a warning and have a nice little chat with them about it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts