German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="color: #999999">First of all dont worry, my dogs are very happy outside, we built them winter homes with insulation... </span>

Is there a way to teach them to poop in a certain area outside, not just anywhere on the lawn? theyre 13 weeks old

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Re: outdoor dog, how to teach to poop in certain a

I wouldn't leave 13 week old puppies outside for 5 minutes alone much less most/all of the day. Way too much outside in the big scary world they can get into and get harmed/killed by.

Though yes, it is possible to teach a dog to potty in one spot. You'd have to watch the dogs though (Which means no leaving them outside) and take them out yourself when they need to go and take them to that spot and give a command word. (ie. "go potty") Eventually they'll learn thats where they go when they gotta go. A dog who's left outside on his own though will go where he pleases and wont catch on because he wont be told where it's acceptable to go each and every time he needs to.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts

Agreed

·
Registered
15,138 Posts

ryt, you might want to go to the Intro Section and Intro youself. You don't ahve to give us an axact location, but you might want to put some info in your Profile. This is an International Board, so temps vary greatly.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Re: outdoor dog, how to teach to poop in certain area

You can do some things to help, like to set the dog houses and the food dishes as far apart from the place you want them to poop as possible. They 're clean by nature and don't want to do their busyness next to the places they sleep and eat.

But the truth is, if they are outdoor 24/7 the only way is to get a tent and sleep outside with them. That way, every time they need to poo you pick them and take them to the place you want them to do until it becomes an habit. How much does it take for them to learn depends in how consistent you are, if they are allowed to go only there, 100% of times, they can learn in a week. If you're able to catch them one every other time, but the rest of the time they do where they want, it will take forever.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanx,
they're in kennels right now it will be another month before they will move to the dog house. And I never leave them alone together because they like to fight. also, this is in a national forest, so other people are not a problem

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

ryt, why are you forced to keep your young puppies outside? All of us have either heard why this is a bad idea, or done it so know it's a bad idea, so I'm sure we'll try to pass those experiences.

Actually, if they are too overwhelming to keep in the house and train, you may want to call the breeder and ask if they will take at least one of the puppies back so you will have the time to train the other (do you just have 2 or more?).

Here's some sites with other info about why it's not good for the puppies to keep them outside:

http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/outside_dogs.htm

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/news/OutsideDogs.htm

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/outdoor.html

I've had friends who get puppies and think that it's kind of like getting fish, once you buy the tank (caged area outside) and the fish (your puppies) and the food............ you just put everything together, feed them and water them a couple times a day. Watch them to make sure they are ok, then go on with the rest of their otherwise extremely busy lives.

And it's only when the pups are around 6 months to a year old that they start finding out that puppies aren't really like fish at all and need TONS more time and commitment (really more like children...).

I'm guessing these must be your first GSD puppies by the following comment:

Quote:they like to fight
13 week old puppies (unless there is something tragically wrong their temperments and you need to get them back to the breeder...) don't fight. They only play and wrestle. It's not only normal but NECESSARY for normal growth, exercise and socialization.

Frankly, good breeders won't sell 2 puppies to any of us at the same time cause it's not good for the puppies and too hard for most of us. Here's info about that:

http://leerburg.com/2dogs.htm

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/2pups.htm

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerHow clean are they in their kennel?
quite messy in the morning, but we're trying harder now, I read here that they can't be potty trained before 14 weeks old

Quote:Are they going to have separate dog houses and runs outside?
yes, 2 seperate dog houses so they can't reach each other when unatended. I think I will place houses together, with center of the tieout chain away so they can't tangle up around the house while at the same time can be closer together in case of some animal comes by, bears should be asleep in another month, and in the spring I don't think bears will want to be anywhere near here any more...

dog houses will be much better then anything on the market - I really liked the ones we saw at lowes for $118 each, but my dad didn't like them we ended up buying materials for ~$260 instead to do it the right way ourselves.... it will be special out door boards on the outside, insulation in the middle, followed by another layer of plywood inside... galvanized steal roof... we're thinking hanging strips of carpet for doors? but maybe they will chew those off? hmmm

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts

You are going to CHAIN the dogs to houses and leave them to live outside? That is the absolute worst way to keep a dog. If that is how you plan to keep them, both of these dogs have long, miserable, lonely and dangerous lives ahead of them. I feel quite sorry for these pups.

If they must be outside dogs instead of family members as a GSD ought to be, please at least set them up with kennels, not chains, and put the dog houses in their kennels. They will be MUCH safer, happier and more secure if kenneled that they will be on chains.

Better yet, rehome these puppies because this living situation is not appropriate for them. If you must have outside dogs for any reason, select a breed that was created to live this sort of lifestyle and can be comfortable with it. I would recommend one of the nordic or livestock guardian breeds. NOT GSDs. And please kennel these outside dogs, do not chain them!

·
13,571 Posts

Originally Posted By: rytI don't think bears will want to be anywhere near here any more...
I'll bet you'll find quite the opposite. Dogs are no match for a bear. Especially chained dogs who are essentially defenseless.

I expect you'll come home one day to find a hungry bear has taken you up on your nice offer of tasty bear snacks tied up in the yard.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeeryt, why are you forced to keep your young puppies outside? All of us have either heard why this is a bad idea, or done it so know it's a bad idea, so I'm sure we'll try to pass those experiences.
Actually, if they are too overwhelming to keep in the house and train, you may want to call the breeder and ask if they will <span style="color: #FF0000">take at least one of the puppies back</span> so you will have the time to train the other (do you just have 2 or more?).
Hi Maggie, first of all I believe dogs are outside animals more then humans; I saw how they sleep in the cold as opposed to inside, they love the fresh air.

Right after we bought them about 5 weeks ago I posted a message on this forum asking for advice on keeping two, and people started suggesting we sell one or both of pups because we're in for a lot of trouble... (my user name was rytisss; forgot pw, cant login)
anyway, we were so saddened for about 2 weeks thinking which one should we get rid of... then did some more reading from the external links and found out that it is possible, and for the last 3 weeks we realised that there is nothing to it.....
Also we did some reading here about how some people try to get their ears up with duct tape and cardboard and glue and what not, anyway, both our pup ears are up, and their behavior is getting better by the day.... so while I am all ears to any advice, negative advice like getting rid of them I will just ignore thank you

We only have those two puppies and no other animals besides fish.

Quote: I've had friends who get puppies and think that it's kind of like getting <span style="color: #FF0000">fish, once you buy the tank </span>(caged area outside) and the fish (your puppies) and the food............ you just put everything together, feed them and water them a couple times a day. Watch them to make sure they are ok, then go on with the rest of their otherwise extremely busy lives.
hahahaha, what a coincidence! yeps, I got fish 265 galon is my biggest tank right now, but when we will reconstruct part of the house, I will build a 1000 galon one.... I am a total pro when it comes to fish, bred discus, and succesfully kept them without a single change of water for 6 months at a time, with my dad only feeding them... if you know about discus you know that is an accomplishment...anyway...

Quote: And it's only when the pups are around 6 months to a year old that they start finding out that puppies aren't really like fish at all and need TONS more <span style="color: #FF0000">time and commitment </span>(really more like children...)
We got that. you're right, and don't forget space: most people do not have space, they walk their dogs in the city streets, while I don't want to insult, tell me whose dogs will be happier, city dogs or my dogs when we can go for a walk in the forest with them every day???? I think you know the answer.

Quote: I'm guessing these must be your first GSD puppies by the following comment:

Quote:they like to fight
Yep, my first dogs since I was about 8. (im 34 now) and it looks like Im doing a great job training them so far...

Quote: 13 week old puppies don't fight. They only play and wrestle. It's not only normal but NECESSARY for normal growth, exercise and socialization.
Play, you're right... how often should I let them play is another question we have, we let for about 10 minutes couple times a day, usually after they play with us first....

Quote: Frankly, good breeders won't sell 2 puppies to any of us at the same time cause it's not good for the puppies and too hard for most of us. Here's info about that:

http://leerburg.com/2dogs.htm
read that link 6 weeks ago then followed a link from that site which explained how.... we're not like 'most' people our business is on the property and we don't have many other close friends, so theyre our best friends

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Originally Posted By: Chris Wild
Originally Posted By: rytI don't think bears will want to be anywhere near here any more...
I'll bet you'll find quite the opposite. Dogs are no match for a bear. Especially chained dogs who are essentially defenseless.

I expect you'll come home one day to find a hungry bear has taken you up on your nice offer of tasty bear snacks tied up in the yard.
I gave that some thought, and rest assured if that should happen, I would not be buying any more meat in the market, I would be a full time bear hunter... but 1. bears will be sleeping in another month and 2. in the spring our pups will be ~9 months, and if you think at that age a bear will want to mess with 2 of them, you're wrong.

·
Registered
772 Posts

Ditto what Chris said.
Also, dogs do like to be outside, but they are also social animals. They live prefer to live in a pack (human or dog) and spent most of their time with them. Tying them separate and away from you is the exact opposite.
My dogs love the outside. When we go to our cottage, which is on an island that is not inhabited, they can run free. Guess where they are, sitting at the door wanting to be inside with us or for us to go outside.
And they are city dogs. They are very happy. We go for frequent walks in the woods. They have a fenced in area to play in our backyard and get to sleep in their bed or on the couch every night.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts

Myth, puppies can be potty trained before 14 weeks, IF you have them in the house and work with them and train them.

GSD's do not do well on chains. These are intelligent pups that will grow into intelligent dogs. Left tied up out in the yard, they will still fight with each other even though they can't reach each other. 13 week old pups tied outside are fair game for stray dogs, wildlife including coyotes, full grown fox, full grown raccoon who will want to steal their food and then there are the wonderful little stinky skunks who are notorious for carrying rabies, oh and the bear you mentioned.

Now if the pups do survive, they will be running at the end of their chains trying to get at each other to play as pups, but as they grow the game will become serious. GSD's are not dogs that do well staked out in a yard. They are not junk yard dogs. To entertain themselves they will invent neat games like digging holes, chewing on the dog house, tipping the food and water over, barking at birds, and just barking because they want to be with their family.

All I can say is this is just so wrong on so many levels.

Val

·
Registered
15,138 Posts

You are wrong about the bears....

I know people who live in area's with bear, they have large dogs and at certain times of the year the bears hang out of the front lawn. So their dogs can only go out supervised in an industrail strength 12 ft high chain link fence with the owner having a gun in hand.

What good is a freezer full of bear meat after it kills your dog. You going to eat something that ate you dog, I am sure the dog would be impressed.

Val

·
Registered
915 Posts

I'm in no way a GSD expert and have only one dog so I ask this question very innocently:

Why cant the pups play with each other throughout the day? I would think if they are outside they should at least have the company of each other when their human isnt around...Is it a bonding thing?

·
13,571 Posts

Originally Posted By: ryt in the spring our pups will be ~9 months, and if you think at that age a bear will want to mess with 2 of them, you're wrong.
No, I seriously doubt I am wrong.

A bear will mess with ADULT dogs, especially if they are captive on chains, much less 9 half grown, 9 month old adolescents.

Coyotes have been known to attack and kill adult large dogs left outside unsupervised or chained. And they're a lot smaller, weaker, more skittish and less bold than bears.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts

ryt, I respect you for coming here to ask questions and your willingness to learn. It just seems like a lot of these problems will be easier to deal with (or avoided completely) if the dogs are kept inside or with you. It's not hard to potty train dogs and even train them to only use a certain part of the yard, or pee on command, but if they are left outside all the time I can't even imagine trying to house train them, let alone train which part of the yard they should use. If they were with you, you would set a routine of when you take them out. Take them to the area of the yard you want them to use, then kind of ignore them. As soon as they go, praise them, give them lots of affection and maybe even treats, let them play with you a bit before going in (so they figure out that going potty OUTSIDE in the right part of the yard gets them rewards).

Tie-outs for long periods of time are just not a good idea for many more reasons than potty training. If they need to be outdoors, building them runs would be a better idea. Tie-outs are illegal in some parts of the country.

It sounds like you love these dogs and are committed to them, but I have to ask, what was your reason for getting two puppies if they have to be tied out on chains all the time and can't even play for more than 10 minutes at a time?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts