German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and a friend went to look at a womans dog for sell when they were looking at horses. (I was not there :( ) Well turns out the ladys german shepherds had puppies. And now $300 spent and a Vet visit already scheduled for Tuesday. I learn that the lady left them and mom OUTSIDE all 8 weeks. WOW! I know pups are hard. But really! So now we have a new puppy GSD. LOL what am I going to do with all my girls. LOL

My question is the pup is USED to OUTSIDE living with her sisters and one brother on like 5 acres of property. She is now in a crate. In our closet, with the doors open. But she is crying alot. I know it has not even been 10 hours in her new home. But she seems to like being around or near everyone. Could she be the old fashion type pup that you just carry outside to potty train. And let her be with us all the time. Or is the crate still the best method and will it take her wanting to be with everyone away(our pack)?

I think I kind of feel bad that she was born used to the outdoors and no walls. And now my wife brought her into city living.

She is 8 weeks old. Seams real big and a fat round belly for a girl. LOL real round. LOL Ill try and take pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I only keep a pup crated when I'm sleeping or can't keep an eye on them or need a break. Otherwise I tether them to me with a leash. This way when they squat to pee or poo you can just scoop them up, take them outside and praise a lot.

Also, I would put the crate next to your bed at night so you can stick your fingers in there to comfort her. That will help her feel more secure.

My dog Chama was also kept outside before I got her. She was very easy to housebreak because she was already used to going outside!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
She is young enough to make the adjustment with no issues - dogs that have lived in kennels outside all their lives can transition into the home so there is no reason why a 8 week old will have issues learning crate/house rules.

Keep up with crate training. Puppies cry, whine, and fuss in the crate. It will diminish over time as she learns crate training.

The round belly is worrying - get her checked for worms - might need to worm her and get her shots as it sounds like she had less than optimal care at her previous location. A vet visit would be a good idea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only keep a pup crated when I'm sleeping or can't keep an eye on them or need a break. Otherwise I tether them to me with a leash. This way when they squat to pee or poo you can just scoop them up, take them outside and praise a lot.

Also, I would put the crate next to your bed at night so you can stick your fingers in there to comfort her. That will help her feel more secure.

My dog Chama was also kept outside before I got her. She was very easy to housebreak because she was already used to going outside!
THank you. That feels so reassuring. I know she is a puppy. But she is used to the outside. I know she is a dog. But Want to raise her to be a great family member.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is young enough to make the adjustment with no issues - dogs that have lived in kennels outside all their lives can transition into the home so there is no reason why a 8 week old will have issues learning crate/house rules.

Keep up with crate training. Puppies cry, whine, and fuss in the crate. It will diminish over time as she learns crate training.

The round belly is worrying - get her checked for worms - might need to worm her and get her shots as it sounds like she had less than optimal care at her previous location. A vet visit would be a good idea.
LOL some dogs have a outside kennel. THis pup had like 4 or 5 acars. And the lady gave me a printout and the name of the shot meds she gave and the date and what it was for. And some &*$#^ #2 non prescription dewormer. And said the pups were due for another shot in like a week or 2. She gave me a printed contract like thing she made. She also raises horses. So that was the selling point on my wife. But as the Vet in Petsmart said. They dont acknowledge them shots, because they are not given by a vet. LOL I dont know. The vet said that another shot (from the vet) wont effect the pups and the shots the lady gave.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Cute puppy!. She will transition just fine to being in the house. She just has to be trained like any other puppy. Also be aware that if the breeder used feed store vaccinations, the vet may not accept that and want to start the puppy vaccination series all over.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cute puppy!. She will transition just fine to being in the house. She just has to be trained like any other puppy. Also be aware that if the breeder used feed store vaccinations, the vet may not accept that and want to start the puppy vaccination series all over.
They already informed me of that. The lady on the phone said "because it was not administered by a veterinarian, we do not acknowledge it" I said "will anoth treatment hurt her" the lady said "no" butbin my mind, thats like some mechanics doing a Free checkup on your car, and saying " No sir, your car is perfect. You dont have to pay for anything" but thats just me. ;-)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
It really depends on where they got their vaccines. The vet doesn't know if they were expired or anything about them other than someone 'said' they gave them. If the breeder's vet gave the shots, then you can take that shot record as proof and not have to start over.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
She's a cute pup. Like the others have said, that large round belly usually indicates worms.

They can and do sap their strength, and can give them diahrrea and cause them to throw up.

Your Vet may give you Panacur for roundworm in liquid or granual form. That will really kill them off and is gentle to the puppy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to go back in tomorrow. With a bag of poop. My wife said she was the bully of the group. Vet thinks she just ate all the food and may need to diet a bit. But he wants a stool sample just in case.

But like my threads title. She is NOT doing well in a crate. It dont matter how long she is out. How long she is in. Dont matter if sge has pooped and peed. She cant stand the crate. We feel so bad. We have seen other dogs and they may yelp for 30min or more. But this little "b" :) will wimper, bark, and even do the crying sound with her wimper. We atarted the crate in the living room. Omg was that crazy. We put the crate next to the bed. LOL no sleep that night. LOL heheheh and now her crate is in our walk in closet that is in the bathroom. And all doors open.

Whem she is out and with us. She is a great 8 week old pup. LOL. All over the place. She has not pooped or peed in the crate since her first night. But im worried about her and being trained. She HATES the crate. But will run in and out of it if I toss in a treat or a toy. But when the door closes. Omg! LOL :confused: girl pup does not stop. I tried the music idea. Night lights. I even turned off all the lights and closed the door. Just to try to get some sleep. But like right this second. I sat down outside. And she plopped down right next to me. And when we go inside she will either lay next to me with a slight and quick wimp wimper. As if she was real eager for more attention. She has had 8 weeks of 3-5 acars of play area. Then she is stuck in the suburbs. LOL

Im not really LOL. Im sad for the pup. And not sure if I should juat say on the crate thing. Or do it the old fashon way and let her have the run of the house. And catch her peeing or pooping. Make a loud noise pick her up. And put her in the back yard. Lol sighhh

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 31 Posts