German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three years ago when my mum passed away suddenly, I was broken. She was my best friend, my mentor and the best mum that I didn't deserve.

Out of the blue, a client told us his neighbour had an unplanned litter, some of them went to a charity for service dogs, some went for families and friends. Buffy was the only one left in the litter, she was shy, docile, absolutely adorable (as I know more about dogs now, she was a typical weak nerve dog, potentially fear aggressive one). I decided to take her home, the owner refused any payment, she was upset that she let that happen, just wanted the puppies find a good home. Well, it was fine with us. Drove 4 hours home with her, she was so small and fell asleep on my arms.

Being a first time dog owner, I tried to do everything right for her and it was a steep learning curve for me! Stopped the training classes during Covid and she was about 7 months by that time. Excellent recall when off leash, and generally a very good girl. Never destroy a thing when we were out, never need to crate. Thought she was good enough, I didn't need a military dog, I let the training slide, combined with daycare........

Thanks for this forum and the members here who provide all the valuable information to educate me, I learn to communicate with her better, her maturity plays a big part for all the progress as well. Thinking back, it seems like I took the first two years to bond with her, to learn more about each other and really did the training in the last year. Lucky me, she is very forgiving.Her dog reactive is well under control, every now and again she needs a verbal reminder but so far so good. Loose leash walking is a work in progress but getting along nicely, have to admit that is the area we put less effort in it, that's my fault.

We had a heat wave here for over a week, it was way too hot for her, even during early morning. We skipped the walk for a whole week, as soon as the weather cool down, I took her for a hike. I participated she would be over excited and prepared to have quite a few corrections. No, she was well behaved. Just thought she was doing so great, a squirrel was in front of her, she was 3 meters in front of me, my mind went 'bugger'. 'NO!', she stopped and ran back to me! What? She complied? She chose me over a squirrel that was within her reach? Our hard work has finally paid off!

She can be independent and be a wild dog at times but always very affectionate to us both. Follow me around everywhere, and watching me in the shower! I love it tho, lol. She helps me through the darkest time and brings me joy every day. She makes me a better person and I do think she is the guardian angel sent by my late mother.

We have always known Buffy is half husky (dad) and half GSD (mum) so a DNA test was never be in our mind but after the acute blood clot in her liver in March, I decided to get it done. Fortunately she is cleared with all the genetics diseases. Interesting to find out she has got some malamute,akita and Swiss shepherd in her.

Sorry for the long and unorganized story. I have been through some very frustrating and stressful family issue in the past year and hopefully it will come to an end soon. Sitting on the sofa, being stressed but Buffy just looked at me with a big smile (we just finished playing ball), then I feel better instantly. It doesn't matter anymore, I will deal with it when it comes but important is, me, husband and Buffy are safe and sound at our home, it is all that matters.

Attachments

·
Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
485 Posts
Three years ago when my mum passed away suddenly, I was broken. She was my best friend, my mentor and the best mum that I didn't deserve.

Out of the blue, a client told us his neighbour had an unplanned litter, some of them went to a charity for service dogs, some went for families and friends. Buffy was the only one left in the litter, she was shy, docile, absolutely adorable (as I know more about dogs now, she was a typical weak nerve dog, potentially fear aggressive one). I decided to take her home, the owner refused any payment, she was upset that she let that happen, just wanted the puppies find a good home. Well, it was fine with us. Drove 4 hours home with her, she was so small and fell asleep on my arms.

Being a first time dog owner, I tried to do everything right for her and it was a steep learning curve for me! Stopped the training classes during Covid and she was about 7 months by that time. Excellent recall when off leash, and generally a very good girl. Never destroy a thing when we were out, never need to crate. Thought she was good enough, I didn't need a military dog, I let the training slide, combined with daycare........

Thanks for this forum and the members here who provide all the valuable information to educate me, I learn to communicate with her better, her maturity plays a big part for all the progress as well. Thinking back, it seems like I took the first two years to bond with her, to learn more about each other and really did the training in the last year. Lucky me, she is very forgiving.Her dog reactive is well under control, every now and again she needs a verbal reminder but so far so good. Loose leash walking is a work in progress but getting along nicely, have to admit that is the area we put less effort in it, that's my fault.

We had a heat wave here for over a week, it was way too hot for her, even during early morning. We skipped the walk for a whole week, as soon as the weather cool down, I took her for a hike. I participated she would be over excited and prepared to have quite a few corrections. No, she was well behaved. Just thought she was doing so great, a squirrel was in front of her, she was 3 meters in front of me, my mind went 'bugger'. 'NO!', she stopped and ran back to me! What? She complied? She chose me over a squirrel that was within her reach? Our hard work has finally paid off!

She can be independent and be a wild dog at times but always very affectionate to us both. Follow me around everywhere, and watching me in the shower! I love it tho, lol. She helps me through the darkest time and brings me joy every day. She makes me a better person and I do think she is the guardian angel sent by my late mother.

We have always known Buffy is half husky (dad) and half GSD (mum) so a DNA test was never be in our mind but after the acute blood clot in her liver in March, I decided to get it done. Fortunately she is cleared with all the genetics diseases. Interesting to find out she has got some malamute,akita and Swiss shepherd in her.

Sorry for the long and unorganized story. I have been through some very frustrating and stressful family issue in the past year and hopefully it will come to an end soon. Sitting on the sofa, being stressed but Buffy just looked at me with a big smile (we just finished playing ball), then I feel better instantly. It doesn't matter anymore, I will deal with it when it comes but important is, me, husband and Buffy are safe and sound at our home, it is all that matters.
Great story, awesome looking dog!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After an unproductive and frustrating morning, I decided to call it a day. Husband and I took Buffy out for lunch and a walk. We sat outdoor,she was so well behaved the whole time, staying under the table, observing everything. Then there was a chow chow with its owner sitting opposite of us. She was alert, a quick reminder, and prayed 'please don't bark' (her excitement bark), instead she was play bowing! Asked her to settle down and she complied again! What a good day!

We may not always be able to control what happens in life, but we certainly can get unlimited satisfaction and happiness from our dogs!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love the story! I am so curious about Shadow. I badly want to do an embark test, just not in the budget.
She came to me at a very dark emotional time as well, I call her my little light. I love these dogs that arrive just when we need them most.
I was hesitant for quite some time for the DNA test as well, it's not cheap! It was on offer but still £96! Husband just had a grin and shook his head and said 'you are going to cut my allowance again, aren't you', lol

It seems like they are destined to fulfill your life when you need it the most. But no matter how good, how sweet they are, they always give you worry, wonder, challenge to keep our minds sharp :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
634 Posts
This was so sweet! Buffy seems like such a good girl, and she's so pretty, she sounds similar to Charlie from the way you talk about her :)

I hope to get a DNA test for Charlie soon, since the curiosity has been eating at me lately, with his weird markings and such, i don't think he's pure GSD, would also like to rule out any genetic diseases.

Im glad you have Buffy to help you through this tough time, it seems they come to us when we need them most huh? I got Charlie in a very bad time in my life as well and he's helped me so very much, he's definitely my once in a lifetime dog :)

·
Registered
Ilita and Rusty
1,086 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your story. Our dogs are given to us to help heal us and bring out the best in us. I am firmly convinced of this. On bad days, you can hug them, they return the gesture with love and kisses, everything is better. On good days, you can hug them, they return the gesture with love and kisses, everything is even better.

They give us purpose. Take us out of ourselves.

Buffy is gorgeous! While reading one of your posts in the past, you had a photo of her, I believe you said you had just given her a bath. She was soooo beautiful, I simply turned my computer to my husband and said "Take a look at this one." He glanced over, did a double take and just said "Oh WOW!" Yeah, she's a stunner.

·
Registered
Rosie 01/04/2021 GSDxHuskyxAkita
174 Posts
I love Akita, they are loyal and beautiful. Initially I wished Buffy would look more GSD like Rosie than husky but husband loves husky. Now, I don't care, just being bias, she is just plain beautiful,lol.
Its funny you say this because initially, when I heard this litter happened, I was wanting an Akita- I have lived with them before and as ridiculous as it now sounds, the breed has a place in my heart/mind- and asked about the most Akita looking one, well, Rosie the only GSD looking pup and the runt a grey husky looking girl were what remained. I wasn't going thrilled on either until we met Rosie, who came bounding over and jumped in my lap after a vomit filled 2 hr car ride. I was sold!!!

Now, I'm very, very glad we got the GSD looking dog and eventually want another full on GSD. The more I learn from the fine folks here, the more I like the breed!!!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Buffy hit the jackpot - and so did you!

I love reading about your adventures with Buffy. And I'm so glad she came into your life when she did.

• Love
Reactions: SMcN and 3ymum

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This was so sweet! Buffy seems like such a good girl, and she's so pretty, she sounds similar to Charlie from the way you talk about her :)

I hope to get a DNA test for Charlie soon, since the curiosity has been eating at me lately, with his weird markings and such, i don't think he's pure GSD, would also like to rule out any genetic diseases.

Im glad you have Buffy to help you through this tough time, it seems they come to us when we need them most huh? I got Charlie in a very bad time in my life as well and he's helped me so very much, he's definitely my once in a lifetime dog :)
It is interesting to find out the breed and am curious to know what breeds are in Charlie as well. More importantly to put our minds in ease to know whether there is any potential health issue. Although I am glad Buffy is cleared of all the genetics diseases and interesting to find out other breeds in her, still think it is too expensive.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for sharing your story. Our dogs are given to us to help heal us and bring out the best in us. I am firmly convinced of this. On bad days, you can hug them, they return the gesture with love and kisses, everything is better. On good days, you can hug them, they return the gesture with love and kisses, everything is even better.

They give us purpose. Take us out of ourselves.

Buffy is gorgeous! While reading one of your posts in the past, you had a photo of her, I believe you said you had just given her a bath. She was soooo beautiful, I simply turned my computer to my husband and said "Take a look at this one." He glanced over, did a double take and just said "Oh WOW!" Yeah, she's a stunner.
Thank you for the compliment! I am researching GSD breeders lately to hopefully add a pup in the next 6 months or so, one of the breeders said to me that people said you can't buy happiness but you can buy a GSD, so technically you can (of course providing we put in some effort to it).

In order to heal our hearts, we need to give, and our dogs reciprocate with their undivided love! We have to learn like them to live for the moment. And yes, all those loving gestures and kisses make everything better :love:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts