German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a while since I have been on but thought I would share some pics of how Maple is growing up. She is 6 months 3 weeks old. See the pics below. Still learning as I go. Covid-19 has had its good and bad. I'm immune disease (psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and take a biologic shot). I also have high blood pressure, heart disease and kidney disease. I just turned 51 in March. So we have been stringent about social distancing. Here are just some bullet points I thought I would share.

• Training consistency has been an issue but it is my fault.
  • Some time back I was told to find a place for Maple to get out in a field with just the two of us. Found that place. George Bush Library. Not sure how many acres but a full loop around the area is 1.6 miles of walking in general. This has been good time for Maple for exercise, exploring and exercise for myself. 7am and the only people around are the landscaping crews. This has been very consistent. I try to working training during our time there.
  • One thing on the long leash is my wife goes with me if she is not exercising at home. Maple has a problem of running full speed and jumping in her back. Me not so much but does randomly at times. We can normally guage a general patter or know when she is getting overly hyped up. We also speculate it might be due to her wanting to get our attention to go another way when construction is around which happens on the fringes of the area. Any recommendations are welcome. It is a suprise attack and just running two feet in the back. Other time we work on jumping and off and she is getting better but for my wife this one hurts.
  • Nail triming got off to the wrong foot but we have been conditioning with cheese and now use a grinder and we are so much better now.
  • Her favorite games are treat hide/seak, fetch tennis ball, chase the water spay and tug.
  • Having problems with her going after the back neck of our older dauschund female. We are using timeouts but still struggling with it.
  • Agression has really not been an issue because we stay 6 feet away from people. She has barked at time when we stop to talk but not really getting up around people. I think that is a big downside to Covid-19 due to her past instances posted on here.
That is probably enough. I get long winded as others have seen on my posts. Hope you enjoy the pics. I put on Facebook on the one photo that I snuck on to Kyle Field at Texas A&M but as you'll see in another photo it is old Turf from Kyle field out in the gravel lot. Not sure why it is there but ended up being a cool pic.

One more thing. I've questioned that she is full blood. Now with the old pics does anyone see anything else in her?

maple3.jpg
maple4.jpg

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think full GSD too. She's a beautiful dog. Keep working on those manners w/ your wife. I think manners training is
step one in having a pleasant GSD around.
Also work more on leash around your older dashund. No rough housing whatsoever. Be firm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts