German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!! On Saturday we picked out our German Shepherd puppy! He is 4 weeks old and the sweetest little guy. Next month we bring him home and I am SO EXCITED!! Isn't be just the cutest?! We have a name picked out, but are waiting until we bring him home to completely decide on it. In June I'll update :) I'm sure he will have doubled in size too!! His parents are beautiful and healthy dogs, I cannot wait to start our life together!

Now, we are split on which food we want to get. I know high protein and high fat is important as well as the calories. Our German Shepherd mix that passed a few months ago thrived on the Blue brand. The Yorkie we have also does really well with their small breed food. Here are the 2 we are considering, looking at the ingredients they are both very similar. Blue Buffalo BLUE Life Protection Formula Dry Puppy Food and/or BLUE Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Puppy Dry Dog Food.

One benefit I noticed with the Blue Wilderness is that it has more protein which is great. BUT a disadvantage of that is you get 6 pounds less for around $4 more. Which isn't terrible but, after he is a year or a little more older that adds up to what could have been more bags. Really though this pricing isn't too big of a deal. I want a healthy and happy puppy.

I'd be happy for anyone's opinions or suggestions! I also considered Victor dog food, but after comparing it's doesn't seem too different.

Thanks anyone! Isn't he such an adorable pup?!

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
I believe (but I could be wrong) that most people around here avidly do NOT recommend Blue Wilderness! Cute puppy!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I believe (but I could be wrong) that most people around here avidly do NOT recommend Blue Wilderness! Cute puppy!
No, you're right. Blue has had many issues with recalls and lying about their ingredients. I believe a member here had their dog get mercury poisoning from Blue Buffalo. Maybe @GandalfTheShepherd? If I'm remembering correctly.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OH WOW. Thank you both so much for the replies. That is specifically why I wanted to ask on here. No matter how much research you do there is always someone with more information or a different experience. We want to give this guy the best life. We would like to stay around the price of $50 for his food, same amount too like at least 25 pounds. Of course we would pay more for the quality. If anyone has puppy food recommendations please let me know what makes you love it!

·
Super Moderator
4,828 Posts
(((squee))) cute pup.

I use Beaverdam as the main food, which is very similar to Victor. My dogs do well on that. They also get some fresh food like an egg each day, some apple slices, raw crunchy carrots, etc. Just make sure to not unbalance your dog's meals when you add extras. I also use some 4Health canned food as a kibble topper. I've never had finicky dogs until I got German Shepherd Dogs. Mine seem to enjoy the variety of a gloop of canned food added to the kibble.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
No, you're right. Blue has had many issues with recalls and lying about their ingredients. I believe a member here had their dog get mercury poisoning from Blue Buffalo. Maybe @GandalfTheShepherd? If I'm remembering correctly.
Yep that's right, my puppy was fed Blue Buffalo for large breed puppies and as a result suffered from heavy metal poisoning. Many others have had similar complaints from feeding this awful food!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(((squee))) cute pup.

I use Beaverdam as the main food, which is very similar to Victor. My dogs do well on that. They also get some fresh food like an egg each day, some apple slices, raw crunchy carrots, etc. Just make sure to not unbalance your dog's meals when you add extras. I also use some 4Health canned food as a kibble topper. I've never had finicky dogs until I got German Shepherd Dogs. Mine seem to enjoy the variety of a gloop of canned food added to the kibble.
We always have a bag of carrots around, our dogs have always loved them. Our recently past German Shepherd mix LOVED eggs!! It's been over 12 years since we have raised a puppy, I don't even remember what we use to feed ours. So all these suggestions are really helpful. I think we will stray away from the Blue brand based on other's experiences. We never had a problem with ours (but we never started feeding it to them until they reached 8 years or older). We also never experienced recalls on what we had. I'm definitely going to look into every brand I am suggested. Which specific bag from Beaverdam would you suggest as well?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep that's right, my puppy was fed Blue Buffalo for large breed puppies and as a result suffered from heavy metal poisoning. Many others have had similar complaints from feeding this awful food!!!
Yeah, I am definitely straying away from the Blue brand. This is why I came here for suggestions. That is terrible. I'm so sorry you and your pup had to go through that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts