German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 7 month old GSD puppy started having a small limp in his front right leg yesterday. He played with a few dogs that day but nothing out of the ordinary however he did manage to jump out the back of our SUV not sure if this is what caused it. We usually carry him out but unfortunately he was too quick for my wife this time and jumped out before she could grab him. He didn't yelp in pain or anything and seemed his usual self until we noticed the limp later in the evening.

Aside from the limp he seems normal, he keeps wanting to play which we are not allowing at the moment and he is still eatting and drinking fine. The limp is only noticeable when he is walking slow, when he runs or speed walks its hard to tell. I am not sure if this is a case of pano or related to him jumping out of the trunk. I spoke with our vet who recommended a few days of rest to see if their are improvements and if not to bring him in to be checked.

I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with this before and usually how long it would take for a sore muscle or something to heal? I didn't want to bring in our pup to be checked and just told to go back home and rest him anyways. Is there anything we can give him while he is resting to help?

I tried to upload a video of him walking but doesn't seem to work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine had a limp as a pup about that age. Biceps tendonitis not that that's what's wrong with your dog. If it doesn't seem major/structural, rest for 4 weeks, leash walks, no play/fetch/jumping down.
Thanks! Yeah it doesn't seem major just me worrying as usual. I'll keep resting him and look for improvement.

·
Registered
376 Posts
When Oskar was about 8.5 months he developed a slight limp. Only noticeable when he trotted, didn't seem to really bother him, it would come and go. Even though it was only in one leg, never happened to any other leg, I put it down to Pano. Never got any better, for about 3 weeks, nor did it get any worse. Now he's almost 11 months, and is fine, except for a strange bout of nighttime restlessness sometime last week. He's over that now too.

Reactions: ktu

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate all the info everyone! I hope its something that just goes away and nothing serious. We have a camp trip coming in 10 days and it would be a shame to have to leave him behind if he's not doing better :( he loves it out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts