German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo sup.

Our dog's 3 months old now(106 days to be exact)
We noticed our puppy is swallowing his food instead of chewing it. He takes it in his mouth, and then just swallows it. We gave him a chewing bone which is milk flavoured and soft. He took it, bit it and just swallowed it whole in front of us. We we're worried sick that it might've been stuck in his throat but thankfully it wasn't. We feed him Royal Canin Junior. The thing we do is, we put it in hot water till it gets kinda soft and watery and the give it to Toby which he eats pretty quick and give him milk afterwards. This afternoon, we didn't put it in water and it was kinda hard. He just kept swallowing it and doesn't at all, seem to chew it. We're really concerned about him and hope that this behaviour doesn't affect his future behaviour and such.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
That is pretty much how dogs are DESIGNED to eat. They do not have chewing teeth other than the back teeth intended to crush small bones.

I would kill the milk. No need for it. I soak my food too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is pretty much how dogs are DESIGNED to eat. They do not have chewing teeth other than the back teeth intended to crush small bones.

I would kill the milk. No need for it. I soak my food too.
Alright got it. So, we increase the dog food if were gonna drop the milk right?

·
Registered
855 Posts
No, you do not need to increase the food unless you gave so much extra milk that your dog is substantially missing out on calories without it. You need to feed either according to the guidelines of the kibble or by feel - though generally the guidelines are easier to follow if you're not confident in your ability to gauge the fitness of your dog.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I would base the amount of dog food on how the pup is growing. You want to keep him lean at all times. A good food for LARGE breed puppies or an all life stages food (we have a post on that) without too much calcium (I assume maybe that is why you were giving the milk?) should be great. The Junior I am not familiar with as RC has so many formulas all I could find was a medium and a giant junior. Do you have a link t the food.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would base the amount of dog food on how the pup is growing. You want to keep him lean at all times. A good food for LARGE breed puppies or an all life stages food (we have a post on that) without too much calcium (I assume maybe that is why you were giving the milk?) should be great. The Junior I am not familiar with as RC has so many formulas all I could find was a medium and a giant junior. Do you have a link t the food.
Pm'ed to ya

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
chomp , crush , gulp --- dogs "wolf" their food

can you find a better quality food that isn't laden with wheat grain, wheat flour, corn , gluten rice etc .

and then as a treat you are giving (milk) bone ---- more starches

Image result for ingredients royal canin junior
COMPOSITION: dehydrated poultry protein, animal fats, maize, dehydrated pork protein*, wheat, beet pulp, wheat flour, rice, maize flour, hydrolysed animal proteins, vegetable protein isolate*, maize gluten, fish oil, yeasts, soya oil, minerals, fructo-oligo-saccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo- .

·
Registered
975 Posts
Old School Solution (after you've eliminated the milk per the previous posts): Go outside and find several largish rocks. Yes, rocks. :) Rocks large enough that puppy can't get them in its mouth (don't want to create additional problems). First, soak the rocks in a bucket of hot water for several hours, then scrub each thoroughly with a very mild dish detergent and rinse completely. Once they're dry, scatter the rocks in puppy's food dish and spread the food around the rocks.

I understand and agree with @carmspack's point about dogs wolfing their food. But I've also been unnerved by the way some puppies frantically bolt their meals. The above suggestion came from a decades-long breeder and works a treat whether you're feeding kibble or raw.

Aly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts