German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
nice work, that dog is quick and nice bite. didn't quite get the scenario.

i so wish i would have done the around the back of the handler finish instead if my idiotic idea of doing a flip finish with a long bodied dog.

if things don't work out with the dog and GF give them my number. yr so lucky to find a girl that you can do the work with.

just sayin, the dog could lose a pound or two?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice work, that dog is quick and nice bite. didn't quite get the scenario.

i so wish i would have done the around the back of the handler finish instead if my idiotic idea of doing a flip finish with a long bodied dog.

if things don't work out with the dog and GF give them my number. yr so lucky to find a girl that you can do the work with.

just sayin, the dog could lose a pound or two?

Thanks! They are getting ready for a SDA trial next weekend. I actually got Heidi for me but the GF wanted to get involved in the sport. How could I say no to that? So I gave her Heidi and they are doing great!

Heidi looks a bit over weight but she's not. When we got her she was fat and we got the weight off but she still looks that way. We can feel ribs so... I think she's at her ideal weight just hasn't toned up yet.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Very nice team, she looks like a true spitfire :).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Very nice. Love it.

I especially like seeing someone posts nicely. it's hard to explain to handlers - DO NOT MOVE. A nice post allows your to get this much closer to the dog when making misses when you are confident you can actually make the dog miss. I hate seeing someone trying to make a miss only to have the dog drag the handler 2 steps and get a crappy sneak bite. "But I only took two steps" yea those two steps were enough to let the dog get a ****ty grip on it and now I have to work extra :)

If I may say one thing, is that the basic position is always crooked. Your GF is at fault, she's always standing in an angle to the dog, angling and sort of facing the dog. Never straight. That will become a problem later. It's very common, and an easy fix. It's very common because we want to be able to see the dog better so we instinctively do this but you dont have to! your girlfriend should stand straight, face something else, look at the dog through the peripheral with the dog at a basic position. But only if you actually care about accuracy in the basic position, I don't know SDA rules.

Just my 2 cents, otherwise nice work :)

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice. Love it.

I especially like seeing someone posts nicely. it's hard to explain to handlers - DO NOT MOVE. A nice post allows your to get this much closer to the dog when making misses when you are confident you can actually make the dog miss. I hate seeing someone trying to make a miss only to have the dog drag the handler 2 steps and get a crappy sneak bite. "But I only took two steps" yea those two steps were enough to let the dog get a ****ty grip on it and now I have to work extra :)

If I may say one thing, is that the basic position is always crooked. Your GF is at fault, she's always standing in an angle to the dog, angling and sort of facing the dog. Never straight. That will become a problem later. It's very common, and an easy fix. It's very common because we want to be able to see the dog better so we instinctively do this but you dont have to! your girlfriend should stand straight, face something else, look at the dog through the peripheral with the dog at a basic position. But only if you actually care about accuracy in the basic position, I don't know SDA rules.

Just my 2 cents, otherwise nice work :)

Thanks for the input. She is crooked because Heidi would always hydro sit. She got in the habit of looking to make sure she is sitting all the way. Good eye and thanks for the input. That's why I like fresh eyes. We will work on it. Just like IPO (which we also do) it is points lost. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

P.S. How's little Recon doing?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ayoitzrimz- You don't have to be a SDA club to hold a SDA trial anymore. All you need is a certified judge and decoys. So if you're interested you can start training for it and hold a trial when ready. On the SDA website has all the info you should need. Service Dogs of America

You sound like me. I just want to play in every venue I can:D

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
You takin those bites on the forearm in a suit?

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Cute how she hackles all the way to her tail

·
Registered
27,250 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL....She has quite the coat along her topline...looked like hackling by her tail!
Yeah, I had to watch the video again to see what you saw. It did look like it, she has a dark stripe on the ridge of her back and the way the sun was hitting it. If you look you can see even when they are doing obedience. I've actually never seen Heidi hackle. Kinda weird now that I think about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts