German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I belong to another forum for a different breed. It's interesting to see the difference between the two. I love both of them. I would have to say that there are a lot more Type B personalities with the other breed. And that breed would probably be a type B personality of they had them for dogs. The people are more laid back and I don't ever remember there being any real debates about anything.

I took a personality test, https://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/are-you-more-type-a-or-more-type-b?utm_term=.rnLVWM5VP#.vh40EnB02 just for fun, not my first, I've a degree in psychology so it's always been of interest to me. I came out as higher in A type personality, with some B traits, which I expected.

I've been wondering if working dogs tend to be owned more by Type A personalities than Type B. Do Type B personalities have more difficulty with working breeds if they've not been raised with them (which would skewer their behavior with the dogs if they'd been taught how to handle them). Are the most successful people who work with their working dogs Type A? Or do as many Type B have working dogs and are successful with them?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Interesting test. This was my result:

"Type A. You have a tendency to be a workaholic, and focus a lot on attaining status. You care a lot about managing your time, and don’t have much patience for people who aren’t as organized as you."

Yeah, relatively accurate. I wouldn't say I care much about status, but I do care about the personal satisfaction that comes from achievement, and I'm a total workaholic. I don't have much patience for humans, period. Don't mess with my time, and that includes annoying me or making demands of me (different from a request!) during my off hours, because said off hours are so precious and few. My base personality (I know technically that's temperament but I just can't say that with a straight face anymore) is to be introverted, stubborn, impatient, and perfectionist, but my level of patience has just plummeted as I've gotten older. It's pretty much come down to, "I'm too old for this stuff." The only exception has been with pets; I have found that I have seemingly endless patience and willingness to try with animals.

I don't really know if this forum would consider me a good measuring stick for a type A person being successful with a working dog, though. I'd call our level of training casual compared with some of the great work that people I know offline and people on this forum are doing with their GSDs.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Type B, and for German Shepherds mine are pretty laid back. Unless they see a ball, leash or I start to pack up the camper for a trip...:)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I got type A, no surprise. Both my GSD's fit the personality too, both are/were very intense in different ways. Most of it sounds right except I could care less about status. Personal achievement is very important, can't stand unorganized people in most situations. Not sure about A's or B's being more successful training working dogs, I guess it depends on what type of training. IPO/Schutzhund I'd say type A would be better, most of the trainers/breeders I know that make a living off dog training are no doubt type A but there are a few type B's that are also good handlers too.

·
Super Moderator
6,116 Posts
That was a fun quiz:)I got type A which surprised me.I think of myself as more of a B with A tendencies.I'm only high energy in short spurts.My dogs are medium energy.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I came up as type B but I knew I would. Then I did the test for my boy. He came up as more type A. ??????? Must be the B in me that is keeping the A in him quiet.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'm curious if being an owner of a certain breed of dog changes your personality type.
I don't think it changes but It did condition me to take on some A traits under certain situations out of necessity.

I learned early on that some of my B traits could potentially put us in harms way when out and about.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it changes but It did condition me to take on some A traits under certain situations out of necessity.

I learned early on that some of my B traits could potentially put us in harms way when out and about.
I agree. Our personalities are pretty much set by adults, and often by childhood. Watch children play and you can almost pick out the As and the Bs. But our dogs can make us work to be something that does not come naturally. My DIL got a strong willed Golden. She is more type B with some A traits, but being military and becoming Top Sergeant in a deployment over other enlisted who were higher in rank than she made her pull out those type A traits. When she got out and got the Golden, she had to bring them out again. I had to remind her to not ask him to do things, but to tell him and to always follow through, just as she'd had to do in the military. Personality wise, she enjoys a Type B dog, I don't think she could really handle a working dog with comfort and enjoyment.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thinking about what I just wrote, I wonder if that is why some people get German Shepherds and we read how they are having problems with them. You hear the phrase 'they are too much dog' for some people. Is it the personality traits of some people, type Bs that make it so? Being more laid back, perhaps not as assertive, a detriment to owning a dog that is going to question you and try to make their own decisions?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My psych degree is pretty old - remind me, is there a correlation between type and assertiveness? I wouldn't have thought it would be terribly strong. The "A" and "B" types to me would seem to correlate more strongly with neuroticism (Big Five) than assertiveness.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My psych degree is pretty old - remind me, is there a correlation between type and assertiveness? I wouldn't have thought it would be terribly strong. The "A" and "B" types to me would seem to correlate more strongly with neuroticism (Big Five) than assertiveness.

Good question! I had to do some research. I found a study that said:
The assertiveness patterns of Type A coronary-prone subjects were compared with those of Type B subjects in negative and positive situations. Type As were found to exhibit high assertiveness in both negative and positive situations. Type Bs responded as assertively as Type As in positive situations but less assertively in negative situations.

So while As will remain assertive despite difficulties or problems in training or with behaviors, Bs will remain as assertive when things are not difficult, but lose some assertiveness if there are problems in training or with behaviors. I think this is due to the competiveness of A's and the stronger desire of being organized and in control?

(There are also Type C and D)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Fascinating! Thanks, Deb! I'll have to look up Types C and D, those are new to me (like I said - my info is OLD).

The breakdown of situational assertiveness in Types A and B makes sense: Type As are more intense and have that stronger need to win or be in control, while Type Bs are probably more of the mind, "Hey, you care more than I do at this point so I'll go with it" if things get tense. I wonder if it also matters whether the "adversary" in these situations were of the same personality type as the subject, or different.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Type A with some B traits-No surprise there.

I don't really care about status, but like to put forth my best efforts in any job I undertake. There have been times in my life when I worked a great deal of OT, but I am over that now, lol.

I can be intense about the things that matter to me, but am pretty easy-going, "live and let live" otherwise. I can forgive honest mistakes, but deliberate meaness and cruelty will set me off every time.

I have a good sense of humor and am able to laugh at myself which is good as I often seem to find myself in ridiculous situations.

I think my dogs have been good for me as they keep me laughing.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fascinating! Thanks, Deb! I'll have to look up Types C and D, those are new to me (like I said - my info is OLD).

The breakdown of situational assertiveness in Types A and B makes sense: Type As are more intense and have that stronger need to win or be in control, while Type Bs are probably more of the mind, "Hey, you care more than I do at this point so I'll go with it" if things get tense. I wonder if it also matters whether the "adversary" in these situations were of the same personality type as the subject, or different.

You're welcome! Mine is very old, too. But being a Special Ed teacher, I used it often and it's part of what I did. It's always fascinated me, that's why it was my degree and education was my secondary. Ironically what I've seen work in training dogs over the years creeps into the classroom. In the eighties I was having owners fill out a journel of what happened before, during and after a dog's behavior problem, what was going on around them at the time, etc., and then did it with my kids in class. Years later admin came and gave it in a workshop that everyone needed to start doing it. The same with behavior modification and rewards.

Interesting question. I think if the adversary was type A, then yes, give in easier. Maybe if the adversary was B with stronger A traits, also then yes. Equal? Maybe tend to come to a mutual agreement?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a good sense of humor and am able to laugh at myself which is good as I often seem to find myself in ridiculous situations.

I think my dogs have been good for me as they keep me laughing.

I think being able to laugh at ourselves is healthy and good for us. Our dogs keep us laughing and humble!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Those types of tests alway amuse me - I got 'More Type B'.

"You tend to avoid stressful situations, and try to live a fairly relaxing life. You care a lot about maintaining an even work-life balance, and generally find your sense of identity and self-worth in things other than what you do and what you have achieved."

Much of that is true, balance is important to me and I definitely avoid stressful situations as much as I can… which - as we all know - can't always be done. I would say though that I have some very definite A personality flags - I hate to be late, I don't like mess, I don't like to be around ignorant people, I have a short fuse… occasionally.

I read the book "Why We Love The Dogs We Do" by Stanley Coren; in it there is a personality test and the results of the test shows what sort of dog you might get along with. My results showed that I would best enjoy an intelligent dog - and lo and behold - the German Shepherd Dog was in the list of intelligent dogs.

I feel very blessed to have another in my life.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts