German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are first time GSD owners (at least we think she is a purebred GSD, curious what other experienced owners here think). Our last girl (Raven)passed about 2 weeks ago at the age of 13 or so, she was a mutt rescued from the streets of Miami. A DNA test said she was border collie/GSD predominate.

Wasn't planning on a new dog so soon, but the same person who found Raven for us, told us about Seneca. She was found running loose in Miami on Memorial Day weekend with no tag or microchip. The girl who found her is a graduate college student with 2 other GSD's, so there is no way she could keep her. She posted ads on Craigslist and with Miami Animal Services (but didn't turn her in, as they put them down after 5 days). No one replied, so we brought her home to Jupiter, FL.

She is a complete sweetheart and obviously has some training. Can sit, heel, and is housebroken. Is fine with other dogs in our neighborhood. We have had her for about 36 hours now and she already knows her new name, and has stopped jumping up on us, and is calmly sleeping in her bed. Looking forwards to learning more about this breed, I have wanted one since a kid. Our best guess is she is around 6 months. She weighed 45 lbs at the vet this morning when we took her for shots, and she is a little skinny. Luckily she was heartworm negative, and we have an appointment next week to have her spayed. Any other guesses as to her age?

Here she is just after we put her in the car for the drive home

A couple of pictures from last night after we gave her a bath. She was pretty filthy and cleaned up well, she is nowhere near as fluffy as the pictures make her look

·
Registered
457 Posts
Oh how pretty she is. She looks all gsd to me. Thanks for saving her. She will help you heal from the loss of your Raven. And welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good information here.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
She is gorgeous but I sure hope she isn't someone's dog! What is the law for stray holds in Miami? I would be worried that someone is missing their dog!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is gorgeous but I sure hope she isn't someone's dog! What is the law for stray holds in Miami? I would be worried that someone is missing their dog!
Yes, we can't help but think as well that someone is missing their dog. When the folks that found her contacted Miami-Dade animal services, they were point-blank told that if she was turned into the shelter, there was a high probability she'd be euthanized. They receive over 100 dogs per day there and they are given a 5 day hold. They said that they euthanize 5-7 sheps a WEEK there. Her picture is posted on a wall there with other found dogs that were not turned in.

If someone is missing her though, they definitely could have found her from all the effort that was put through. We are keeping the "found" ads up and if someone does contact us and prove to be the rightful owner, we will of course return her.

The fact that she isn't spayed, had no microchip (the first thing they did when they found her was take her to get scanned to try to find the owner), no tags, are all red flags to me. She also has some abrasions on her neck that indicate she was either chained or maybe left with a choke collar?

Miami is a dumping ground for dogs, there are so many irresponsible owners who find out quickly they can't handle the responsibility, and just let the dogs go.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Aw. She's a pretty girl. Love the eyes! Thanks for rescuing her :)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Yes, that shelter is notorious. They get a lot of belgian malinois too and dogs have to pulled immediately to get out alive.

Good for you for keeping the found ads up--that way you can have a clear conscience and it sounds like she has found a wonderful home.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Very pretty girl! Kudos to you for taking her in, she looks full blooded to me too. I'm sure she will be a great pup for you and ease your heart, taking care of her. Raven would be proud!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yay for rescue!! She is a beautiful girl and it sounds like she will do great with your family. Agreed that Miami can be a dangerous place for strays. Are there any GSD groups in your area that could post a found ad? Sounds like a long-shot since she wasn't chipped/spayed but you never know.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
She is beautiful. I wish more people microchipped. Last month we found another stray and didnt want to turn in to shelter. The shelter had the nerve to tell me I had only 48 hours to keep him or I could be fined. I had only called the shelter to find out if anyone reported a lost dog, so I could help the dog get home. Neighbors told me the dog had been around the area for a few days before we found him and was so dehydrated. We live in Calif and it was reallyhot those past days. We put up signs and took him to Banfield to check for microchip but there was none. 3 days later we found him a home. There was nothing else we could do with no identifcation. But I always feel bad about not finding the owners as I think about what if my dogs were lost.

So glad your new rescue has found a wonderful home. Did I mention how gorgeous she was LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts