German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after my husband got back from duty yesterday he told me he wants to send our little guy to a guy in the Navy that trains dogs. This was like a huge blow to me because I had planed on doing all his training. I've been reading and watching videos and I feel confident I can do it myself. I trained my Corgi just fine, and I train 1,000 horses for Pete's sake. I feel my opinion won't matter though and the puppy will be sent to this Navy guy. My biggest fear is that harsh techniques will be used when it is not needed. So my question is, what kind of techniques does the Navy use to train dogs?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I don't know what type of techniques , but have to say, I'm with you.

Husband or not, my puppy would NOT be sent off for training, especially since it sounds like YOU can do it yourself and/or sign up for a class.

I would tell your husband that sending a dog away for training can be a waste, sure some dogs come back trained, but it's not like training with YOU in the picture.

It's more self satisfying to know YOU have accomplished training, vs having a stranger do it..I also would be afraid of the techniques used or accidents that could happen.

Hope you can change his mind..

·
Registered
178 Posts
adorable pup, if you have time and dedication train it yourself. You will achieve two things; deeper bond and trained dog. You can farm out dog training as dog will suffer in the process. You need to be part of it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Stealing a quote from Nancy Reagan. "Just Say NO"........

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
my husband knows better than to say anything like that. he's a corpsman. I train the dogs. Developing a stronger bond with the dog you're training is a massive perk. Also, by NOT sending your dog off to train, you know exactly what methods are used. I would flat out tell my husband the answer is no and to go sleep on a bed of uneven nails if he thought that would be okay. but I'm a bit testy about my animals.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
my husband knows better than to say anything like that. he's a corpsman. I train the dogs. Developing a stronger bond with the dog you're training is a massive perk. Also, by NOT sending your dog off to train, you know exactly what methods are used. I would flat out tell my husband the answer is no and to go sleep on a bed of uneven nails if he thought that would be okay. but I'm a bit testy about my animals.
Hahaha I love this. And second it. I'd tell my husband. Too bad so sad. Not happening. Especially with a puppy. There is no point. There is nothing he can train in a puppy that you can't do.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
792 Posts
At what age?

Ugh. Bad enough sending your dog away, but is he planning on sending a young pup?

I would be telling him it's time to sail. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I'm sure he meant sending him at an appropriate age but still. I'd rather do it myself. I've already been working with him with sit and lay down. He's doing really good. He's learned to be patient and wait for treats instead of trying to gobble them up including your hand lol. He's such a good boy. We still haven't agreed to a name yet, poor little guy.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Let him know that training forms a bond and that you would rather him bond with and your family than a trainer. Gsds especially, need a good bond with their family. Good luck:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts