German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My wife and I recently picked up our first puppy as a married couple (it was a Christmas present to her/us). But we went together to pick out the little girl.

Anyways, she's now almost 3 months old, and she is such a great puppy. She catches onto things very quickly, and has certainly impressed both my wife and I.

I should also mention, Zoe is a mix, she's part German Shepherd and part Golden Retriever although I'm sure you will agree she definitely looks more like a German Shepherd.

My wife and I are starting to wonder if her ears will end up staying floppy or pointing up? We really don't prefer one over the other as she is a mix in the end anyways. What do you guys think?

Okay I attached a picture of Zoe, enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Zoe is a real cutie! :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
What a cutie pie!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
She's a cutie! She looks like her ears will probably be half up, half down, but who knows? :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I'm been working on teaching her I'm the 'leader of the pack', my wife thinks I'm half crazy, but she definitely seems to follow me around more while she tends to be more playful with my wife.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Very cute...and they are both just letting you think you are leader of the pack-you know females are smarter don't you?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
She is very cute! She's definitely got something else in there but I am not seeing the golden at all. Where did you get her from?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Those ears give her the perfect puppy eyes that will let her get away with just about anything. HA.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is very cute! She's definitely got something else in there but I am not seeing the golden at all. Where did you get her from?
Found a lady through Kijiji (online classifieds for Canada), and went to see her and pick up the puppy.

The parents weren't on site, but we were told both parents were a shepherd/retriever mix.

I know we sort of broke the rules without seeing the parents, but my wife and I fell in love with her.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Haha, I wouldn't put it past them.

Here's another picture from a couple weeks back.

What a good sit!! She's adorable :wub: thanks for sharing her with us!

As you can see from my avatar pic, my mix girl Casey has the "flying nun" ears and she's every bit of beautiful to me!! :)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Thanks!

I'm been working on teaching her I'm the 'leader of the pack', my wife thinks I'm half crazy, but she definitely seems to follow me around more while she tends to be more playful with my wife.
So adorable!!:wub:

Ha ha The only time I am a pack leader is when my wife and Molly aren't around you will soon learn this:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh I should also say, she is digging a hole to the other side of the earth in my backyard and eating the little chunks of grass/dirt that she tears up.

Should I be worried?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Oh I should also say, she is digging a hole to the other side of the earth in my backyard and eating the little chunks of grass/dirt that she tears up.

Should I be worried?
I don't think you should be worried puppies eat everything but do try to stop it . If you want her to stop digging up your lawn start redirecting her with treats and toys

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

She's a beauty!

I wouldn't worry about the holes in the yard.

I WOULD, however, put an immediate stop to it. You'll have to be outdoors 100% with the pup for awhile to prevent bad habits like this from coming up. A dog can destroy your yard. And swallow stuff that can really make it ill.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We used to take her out to the front lawn to pee/poop when she was small because the backyard is not totally finished yet (new home and there is still some dirt/mud back there). When she started getting to the point she was playing hard to get, I was worried she would run off.

So, I built a pen in the backyard which is quite large, especially for a puppy of her size. It is about a 10' x 25' fenced off area (one side being the house). It worked out great, and she got into the routine of going and sitting at the door when she needed to go out.

It became her sort of area to herself and she would run around, sniff, stare at the neighbour's dogs, etc. Then the digging started.

Our grass/sod was put in a few months ago, so I guess it was a bit easier for her to rip up. My quick solution was to just cover up the man problem area. But doing so just prompted her to find a new area to dig.

Shortly after all the digging, is when she started to eat the little chunks of grass/dirt. I would look out there and she would be chewing and swallowing.

Then the worst happened. Whenever I went out into 'her' play area, she would start growling and barking at me. And it became apparent that she was the leader in this area and I was intruding. This is truly what sparked me to start teaching her I was the leader of the pack.

Before I couldn't go out and pick up after her without her growling and trying to nip at my ankles. Now, the other day I was out cleaning up after her and she just sat there and watched me.

My next step will definitely be to go out there with her on a regular basis and make sure she stays away from the holes she's already dug.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts