German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mia had a right FHO on 5/2/13.

She just turned a year old on 4/23/13. She started limping around January or so, and we were really hoping that it was just growing pains. But, her xrays showed hip dysplasia. About a month ago, her right hip started to jut way out, and her limping got much worse. So, we saw the ortho vet, and she had her surgery. She is such a good baby, and such a trooper as well.

Any info/advice is appreciated! Also, please send healing vibes to our baby girl! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our girl is recovering from TPLO knee surgery. I don't know much about the surgery your dog had, but I hope she has a good recovery with no complications. The most difficult part is to keep your dog from getting bored and wanting to get excited and walk fast or jump.

I think the process is harder on us than the dog. Since our dog should not do stairs, my daughter and I are alternating sleeping on the sofa in the living room so we can be with her in a confined space. At almost 6 weeks post-op, its getting old.

The only advice I could give is to listen to your doctor and do the follow up visits as recommended.

Here's a link to some of our photos:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/253497-my-cat-love-my-dog-pics.html

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My girl had FHO surgery done on both her back legs due to HD at about a year of age. After both surgeries, she did search and rescue for 9 more years. No pain, no problems
She needs lots of range of motion exercises starting now" have her lay on her side and move the leg in a walking motion, front to back like she was walking on it.Do this about 10-15 times , three or four times a day. as soon as her stitches are out, get her swimming. Both of these exercises will keep the ligaments/tendons stretching and pliable while she is healing. Swimming lets her use the leg and stregthen it while not using it. Encourage her to walk on it, she will start with toe touching, then progress to more and more weight as she is comfortable with it. The leg will feel strange to her, since there is now only muscle holding the leg together until a false joint forms, it is a bit wobbly. As she gets more and more muscling back, it will be almost normal.
She needs to be walked slowly daily also. I have had this procedure done on my GSD and two different Shelties, all procedures that I helped with since I work for vets. I started the range of motion exercises the next day, the swimming on day ten when stitches came out and started letting her walk the next day to go potty, etc. Since there is no bone on bone anymore, their pain is from the actual surgery, not the HD anymore. Ligaments, tendons and muscles must be used to keep the leg from being stiff or non usable. Reabilitation/physical therapy is very very important with this surgery, the sooner it starts, the better for the dog and the faster healing time. She will toe touch, then start putting weight on it, then hold it up while moving fast, then tough it down, etc. Then one day, she will start using it like a normal leg.
This surgery is also done hundreds and hundreds of times on dogs that have fractured the femoral head falling from trucks, etc. It was always interesting to note that the dogs that were active immediately are the ones that healed very quickly. The ones that were let to lay around and not move healed more slowly. Little dogs that have this procedure done for Leggs perth disease seem to heal slower because the owners carry them around and do not make them use the leg at all, it ends up being stiff and "contracted" from non use.

·
Registered
338 Posts
FHO here as well

Our Black & Red girl had FHO a little over a year ago. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. You will in all likelyhood, be amazed.

Have you noticed her facial expressions change yet? Our girl always looked "sad". After her surgery, that went away. We didn't realize she was in pain!

Wishing you the best. Do the range of motion stuff and compresses. Don't freak out when she stands and the leg dangles and twists all funny. That goes away as the healing process takes hold.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your replies!! :)

Hopefully, we will find a place that she can swim, to help with her rehab. Yesterday, I was scratching her belly a little, and she started kicking her "bad leg" with happiness. That was the first time since surgery that she did that!

PS: Mia's staples come out next Thursday, then she can (hopefully) get rid of her head cone. She really, really hates it!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I hope she recovers quickly, making them wear the cone sucks :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
She still looks beautiful even though wearing the cone of shame! Good luck and sending healing thoughts her way!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts