German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I've posted anything here, but I thought I'd share our latest poop mishap. Navarro is now 8 months old and doing great with everything. Couldn't ask for a better pup. We started leaving him alone in the house for short outings without him being in his crate when he was 6 months old. He's never been one to get in to mischief or have an accident so everything ran smoothly from the start. About a week ago I had gone out for a few hours, and came home to a little note on the door. Hello this is your upstairs neighbor. Just wanted to let you know your dog tried to climb out the window twice. He didn't but he had his head and both front feet out and looked like he really wanted to get out. Hope he is ok. I thought maybe she'd put the note on the wrong door...that didn't sound like my puppy at all and its not like I was gone long! As soon as I opened the door I was greeted by a wagging tail, lots of licking and...OH GOD NO! The horrible stench of a giant swamp produced by a 70lb puppy. :sick: Not sure I have ever seen so much poop in one spot, and I know poop. I am an expert in poop. Navarro can drop 3 baggers like a pro. This was more like a 20 bagger. Poor pup had gotten the runs while I was gone and tried to get outside to go. When he realized he couldn't fit out the window he went as close to the window as possible...got to give him credit for that. The brown sludge was all over the wall below the window, on the baseboard heater, IN the baseboard heater, under the baseboard heater (which is attached to the wall), all over the floor, complete with brown footprints all over the rest of the living room. UGH! Navarro was fine and back to normal the next day. Over the next two days I dedicated my life to cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning this one little spot. A baseboard heater is probably the most uncleanable thing I can think of to try and get poop out of. The smell is gone, thankfully, but I won't be leaving the window open when I leave anymore. All I could think of when I was cleaning, covered with poop, sweat and cleaning product was, This is motherhood!

And yes, I still love him. :wub:

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Haha! Poor guy. Do you have a breaker panel in your place? If so, turn off the one for the heater and then you can safely remove the cover and check/clean the inside.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha! Poor guy. Do you have a breaker panel in your place? If so, turn off the one for the heater and then you can safely remove the cover and check/clean the inside.
I didn't really think about turning off the electricity for the heater until after I had been dumping a bunch of water on it (yes dumb I know!). Even with the front off there are a lot of tiny spaces. I used about 300 q-tips and a can of Contact Cleaner (used to clean electrical things apparently). I highly doubt I got all the poop out but if there is still poop in there, theres so much bleach and contact cleaner the fumes will probably just kill me when I turn the heater on next.

I love my dog I love my dog I love my dog! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts