German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, here is Heidi.

She has had a bad start to her life. We adopted her in january of this year when she was 11 months old. My wife and I were at a "pet" store that would bring up dogs and cats from their shelter for adoption. I was not looking to get a dog, but I was looking to get a cat. So I went looking and I seen her, who I thought was a him until I started talking to the people who were part of the adoption crew. When I found out "he" was a "she", I went and retrieved the wife and showed her. We were able to spend a little time with her and she was a wreck, not very clean and very under weight, and she was still getting over her getting fixed. She was very nervous and everything made her jumpy and hesitant. Talking to the folks there, some of her story came out hesitantly. She was caught in a different city during the winter. She spent 2 weeks in a "kill" shelter when the folks that we adopted from went and got her. Then she spent a month in the shelter that we got her from. We were told that she was not house broken and all of the other problems she had. I had fallen in love with this dog at first sight and I was bound and determined to make this pup part of our family.

So now she is home and yep she had some major problems! Very food aggressive towards my wife, me, and the other dogs in the house. Very skittish and nervous about everything, but we did find out she was house broken! She sat at the door and gave a little "ruff". So I went and put her on her leash and let her out. She ran about and peed then did the number 2! Big hurdle that we did not have to work out with her. After about a week with us, she was still being cautious about us and not making too many show of trust. I wanted to take her on a fast walk to try and get some of her anxious energy out of her system. As we walked along, a gentleman seen us and started to cross the street and walk towards us. She did not like that, she put herself between us and started barking very aggressively. He backed of and I told him the situation she came from and understood completely (He can now pet her). Finished off the walk and started noticing little signs of trust building between her and my wife and I. On a funny note, she tried to drive my wife crazy! She would just sit there and yip at her in a high pitch. This went on alllllllllllll day for about a month.

The food aggression took a bit of time, but she has worked it out. After we put her food in the bowl, we could not get close to the bowl with out being growled at and having some teeth being shown. I could not have that, our other dogs have not food aggression at all, but i understood where it came from with her time on the run and in the two shelters. So, I worked on it and I worked on it and then I worked on it some more. We still feed her away from the other dogs, but When I do feed her, I can keep the bowl in my lap and pet her now and put my hands in her bowl while she is eating and so can my wife.

So now, currently, I have a dog that will not leave my side when I am home, she is constantly coming up to us for pets and rubs. No more going crazy when we leave the house and she is getting along with the other pups too. My shadow, and 13 year old lab/border collie mix has had to teach her the pecking order a few times, but she is a quick learner and has started to fit in with the pack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On a good note, she had almost absolute trust in me. She will let me shave the little tufts of fur from her feet, I have shaved her belly to help her keep cooler and she lets me shave the private parts with a clipper and scissors with out complaint, my wife, not so much.

·
Super Moderator
7,226 Posts
Such a pretty girl... sounds like she lucked out and got a great home!

·
Registered
466 Posts
What a gorgeous girl!! And such life experiences. Well my "Heidi, was also a psychological and physical mess when
I adopted her. And she'd just had puppies who were missing at the shelter. Underweight and wanted to eat 14 times per day. And run for miles around my farm. Out of control with anxiety. Ready to kill other dogs. Scarey background, right?

Well with some effort and patient training, my Heidi has adjusted and become a wonderful companion and guarder of
my farm. My son is now able to take her anywhere out in public without horrible aggressive fits at other dogs. She even visits dog parks a couple times per week. She still wants to dognap any small puppies she see. Poor thing.

With good, healthy food (I do semi-raw meats, eggs, fish, vit/min.) she now has calmed down, has a beautiful coat and
good weight and muscle. The anxiety usually subsides with good diet and time and patience.

Sounds like you've already come a long way with your Heidi. The nice thing about GSD is that they're so smart and
eventually learn so much from us.
Congratulations for doing such a good job with her. Wishing you many more years of joy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for the complements. She still has some hyper days where she won’t stop lol. She is fitting in with the house and routines so well. No more going crazy when we leave the house. She goes right to the room we use for her and shadows kennel when I pick up my car keys. (Once I put them down I can’t move them lol, or she goes right to the kennel)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts