German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Right now our little Zeus is on: (Plus canned food as a topper)
Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken Puppy (lamb)
Dog Food Reviews - Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken Puppy (lamb) - Powered by ReviewPost

Our breeder does not favor chicken or any bird for GSD's as she has seen chicken/ chicken protein allergies in the past + grain, gluten etc. She recommended to stay away. I also agree because my husbands previous GSD was on lamb and rice all his life and did great.

So this is the non-chicken foods I found:

Old Mother Hubbard Wellness Super5Mix Lamb
Dog Food Reviews - Wellness Super5Mix Lamb - Powered by ReviewPost

Diamond Pet Foods Kirkland Signature Range Lamb & Rice Adult
Dog Food Reviews - Kirkland Signature Range Lamb & Rice Adult - Powered by ReviewPost

Champion Pet Foods Orijen Regional Red
Dog Food Reviews - Orijen Regional Red - Powered by ReviewPost

Innova Adult Dry Dog Food - Red Meat - Large Bites
Dog Food Reviews - Innova Adult Dry Dog Food - Red Meat - Large Bites - Powered by ReviewPost

Love Dog Food
Love - Gluten Free, Low Carb Dog Food | The Honest Kitchen

Are there any others? I was thinking of using one of these or using a kibble + a little of Love Dog Food as a topper. So its not all dry kibble.

What do you think?
Where do you shop? any discounted websites =) ?

When would we switch him from Solid gold?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I buy from chewy.com

The Dog Food Analysis review site you are using is not maintained anymore and most formulas have been changed several times over since then.

This site is more up to date but does not necessarily list individual formula ingredients but groups from various manufacturers.
Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

I buy Nature's Logic Beef, Venison, and Lamb, there is some "egg product" in them but also is present in some of the foods you linked to as well. Would be interested in her take on chicken as I have fed that before..but am avoiding as only organic chicken is GMO free. When the sardine formula becomes available to me that will be added to the rotation. their been, venison and lamb are grass-fed/antibiotic free.

I do add coconut oil. I would not feed this food to a PUPPY as the calcium is too high in my opinion though the owner of the company maintais that is a complex issue related to other factors in the dog foods used for those osteochondrosis trials but I was not willing to gamble on that factor.

Nature's Logic

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the updated site! what does coconut oil do?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to try it for this:

Skin Conditions
Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis,and itchy skin
Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
Applied topically, promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings

Zeus got fleas before his vet visit, so he is on Trifexis. I did see some white flakes where he was biting and it could be to the existing bites, but i wanted to get something to help his skin etc. Where can I buy and how much do I add to his food?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I buy mine at Costco -
Nutiva, Organic Extra-Virgin

I think many consider Tropical Tradtions brand available online to be the gold standard though.

I give Beau about 2TBSP daily - he is about 75lbs
I don't know for a puppy because you are offsetting calories from a food designed for full nutrition. I would probably just give a little fish oil (I give that, too for the EPA and DHA)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about a little bit of salmon oil instead to help with skin and coat? I keep reading that its ok for a puppy after they are used to their food, but have not found how much is ok.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
There are all kinds of threads here on that. I would give salmon oil or sardines in water etc. Just make sure it is fresh. Also vit E with omega 3s - lots of posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts