German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So we finally got Ramsay and we have had him for a little over a week! Its been a fantastic week, tiring but fantastic!

He has already been fully trained to go to the bathroom outside. When he has to go, he runs downstairs and sits by the door until we open it. So I'm hoping we have a very smart dog on our hands.

I am looking for your suggestions with some things we have run into. Biting! How can you control it? When Ramsay bites he doesn't know how to stop. Our breader mentioned pushing his lips/cheak/fleshy skin around mouth against his teeth and then he will see how much it hurts and it might stop him. Simply it doesn't really work. We have also tried smacking his snout when he bites, but he comes right back with another bite. He bites our hands, our feet, our shoes, socks etc etc. I know its normal for a dog to bite at such a young age but is this to much? Is there a way to control it better than we have? He has plenty of toys including toys we freeze to help with his sore gums.

What kind of food are you feeding your pup? I have been looking into Royal Canine (German Shepherd Pup Mix) but find it very expensive. Not that I'm against spending the money but is it worth it?

Is there any other tips or general recomendations anyone can suggest to us?

I will post pics soon!

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It's very normal- in fact, there's another poster with a thread asking the same thing. There's a thread called 'teaching bite inhibition' and there are many things to try- say 'ouch' really really loud and high pitched so he knows he's hurting you, give him something else to bite, put your thumb on the roof of his mouth. I tried everything and the only thing that really works is time. Are you taking Ramsay to puppy classes? He can bite to his heart's delight there, and you can start teaching him some self control

1 - 2 of 2 Posts