German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday marked our first full week in the beautiful german communities surrounding Ansbach. :D so far the dogs have had a BLAST. they love all the new smells and have adjusted to life really well here! Their flight went by great and they were champs about it. They love their new home too. Especially aimlessly walking up and down the stairs. They have the most joy out of doing that, I am not sure why. lol! They really love walking the paths behind our village near the farm fields :D Dia even gets some off leash time (Charles can not be completely trusted yet, but almost) It is SO wonderful here! I can't wait until I can get some awesome Snow pictures this winter :D

Miss Dia in the front yard with her daddy

The biggest pet store I have ever been too.. it has 2 floors AND a basement... just for dogs..

What is this random German dude doing to my house?!?!?! (he was painting)

Charles having a meltdown since there is NO air conditioning. lol!

Our Beautiful village in Germany!!!!

More pictures to come soon, i have to break out the good camera :D

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Very interesting to see different cultures. Thanks for sharing.
About the stairs, my dog loves exploring stairs too.
Do you speak any German, or do most locals understand English?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Enjoy your new duty station!! Glad you all made it safe and sound. Looks like Dia will fit in just fine there:cool: The village is gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't speak a lick of German!!! So it is difficult to communicate, most younger people speak it slightly because it is taught in high school, but it is the same as you or I, how much french or spanish do you remember from your high school days :p but a lot of people are good about it. and there are a lot of americans here since this is an ARMY base :D

I did forget one picture, it is of Dia behind our village in the fields :D

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I loved living in Germany when I was assigned there in the 80's. It looks like you are not living in base housing either so you will get a better feel for the country. When I was there the US rented homes in town as well as base housing was full. We lived in a little house we found on our own and loved it.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Beautiful photos and I'm glad you're all settling in well :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I loved living in Germany when I was assigned there in the 80's. It looks like you are not living in base housing either so you will get a better feel for the country. When I was there the US rented homes in town as well as base housing was full. We lived in a little house we found on our own and loved it.
yup! we are living off post :D they want everyone e-6 and above (hubby is o-2)off post because housing is very full right now, which is fine by me, our yard is larger than what the dogs have ever had before! and walking to large open areas and what not is just a couple mins away, the dogs love it. our landlords are a tiny bit scared of them, you would think they have seen german shepherds before :rolleyes: lol!

honestly, this house is too large for us!, but it was in our price range so I am totally okay with that... :D

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
That is what I miss. The fields and ability to take the dogs off leash to take them for a long walk or hike. We live as rural as it gets in the US and yet, there are no fields to take them off leash like you find in Germany.

I am very very very jealous but also happy for you. Enjoy the time. There should be a Schutzhund Club somewhere around this area that will also offer other classes. And enjoy taking your dogs anywhere you want to in public.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
That's very cool. I've told my husband I'll visit overseas but I refuse to live overseas for a duty station, though we have Japan as a possible station. I'd love to visit but living a sea away from EVERYONE and EVERYTHING I know for 2+ years absolutely terrifies me to no end. I tend to hide from what makes me uncomfortable so I'd never leave my house lol.

Keep the pictures coming! You might thrill my husband and convince me to do an overseas station.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some more pictures from last night!! :D

Hubby and our boy Charles. this is right behind our house :D

Dia wanting to catch up to the boys

After playing a very long game of fetch in a field behind our house dia got some stacking practice :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
my wife and i were in schweinfurt off post in 1970 it is a beautiful place - visit the spelling-> zust pits in garmich - oh well i tried

1 - 16 of 16 Posts