German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Penny's trainer and myself have decided to continue to work together. Penny finished her advanced obedience classes and our trainer has done SAR for over 10 years and we both decided that Penny would be great at doing SAR, and I will be training with out trainer and do some mentoring. On July 4th I will be joining the local SAR team.

Yesterday was out first tracking session, it wasnt long about 20 mins but Penny was exhausted! We started out doing "Master Tracks". I would start getting Penny really excited playing rough with her and getting her going then would leave a good scuff mark on the ground and take off walking fairly fast and partially dragging my feet as I went while Ella ( our trainer) held Penny. The first time I went about 75 ft into the trail and hid behind a bush and Penny when she came went about 5 feet past me and then turned and saw me.

We did this where she could see me walk away one more time and the second time she went to take a step when she was right there but sniffed the air and bang! She found me! :) Next Ella turned Penny away from me and she couldnt see me or where I went so she really had to use her nose and the first time she went a few feet past me again before she turned, but the last run of the day she was going down the trail her nose stuck to the dirt the entire 150ft or so and literally jumped through the bush to get me! :) YAY.

Ella said Penny is a natural and we are going to be working together a lot. Im going to help Ella set tracks for her dogs and I will be on the same SAR team as her so when I go out when the SAR team is called out Ella said I can go with her and her dog(s) to learn even more. I have to be on the "team" for a year before Penny can join, but that gives Penny a whole year training.

And just for some giggles at the very start of our session Ella took her foot and scuffed the ground showing me what to do, and Penny stopped and watched her and then Penny took her back foot and scuffed the ground! We both almost died laughing, Ella said she had never seen a dog do that before...

So Im very happy and excited to be working Penny and excited that she seems to really love it and is really good at it. :) Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
What a fun story, especially the part with Penny scuffing the ground. She sounds like a smart girl. Keep us updated on how shes doing in hte class. Would love to do something with dexter like that just for fun. I know we will definitely do nosework once he finishes his big boy obedience classes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts