German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took part in our first PSA training session last night. We have found a fantastic group to train with. The trainer evaluated our 9 week old puppy throughout the evening and said that she did quite well.

My only concern was that she wouldn't bite at all. She would chase things like mad, but the only thing she bit last night was me :eek::D The trainer reassured us that it wasn't a big deal, especially since she latches on to EVERYTHING at home. Obviously this is something we need to overcome, but I am still pleased how day one went.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
9 weeks is very young to tell about biting. Some pups bite like an alligator at that age. Others take awhile longer to develop. But as long as she is confident and active and has fun at training, that's all it matters right now.

Did you go to Khoi's club?

·
Registered
604 Posts
PSA!! I'm going to be doing that with my puppy too, when she gets here ;) That's great that you found a good club! Did you get to go the trial in Dallas last week?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9 weeks is very young to tell about biting. Some pups bite like an alligator at that age. Others take awhile longer to develop. But as long as she is confident and active and has fun at training, that's all it matters right now.

Did you go to Khoi's club?
Thanks for the reassurance! Yes, we were with Khoi. He was great, and I really appreciated the amount of time he spent with us.

PSA!! I'm going to be doing that with my puppy too, when she gets here ;) That's great that you found a good club! Did you get to go the trial in Dallas last week?
I couldn't make the trial but really wanted to. We had family in town and my wife wouldn't let me escape :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Glad to see you getting involved early. Some people don't realize the value of developing the pups drives early enough, then wonder why they have an adult dog that doesn't magically know what is happening. One of my true loves is exposing and imprinting puppies to all the things I possibly can at very young ages. Surfaces, noise, people, circumstances, and every environmental distraction I can, as well as play, and scentwork.

PSA is growing by the day. I think lots of people in the dog world watched quietly from a distance, and are now seeing that it's level of obedience under distraction and environmental pressure, and testing the limits of the dog/handler team are extremely challenging...there are a lot more people from other sports crossing over to gain from PSA training and trialing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Psa

PSA: Protection Sports Association, a K9 sport involving obedience, and protection scenarios, all under a high level of environmental, and decoy distractions present on the field.

Except for a lowel level sleeve division (good for Schutzhund or other sleeve trained dogs crossing over into the sport, or younger dogs that have not yet transitioned to the suit) all scenarios are performed on a body bite suit, except a carjack scenario which is performed on a hidden sleeve. Leg or upper body targeting is acceptable, so ring type dogs that are "leg dogs" primarily can cross over more easily as well.

Home Home page

PSA K9 - FORUM PSA K9 Forum, which will answer many common questions, and provide links to topics and videos.

If you get a chance, go check out a trial sometime.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Glad to hear your first session went well! At 9 weeks I wouldn't worry about her biting anything. Just keep everything positive and let her be a puppy. All puppy's develop at different rates.

My boy turns 5 months old on christmas day and I can't wait to do PSA's with him. I wish he could compete earlier but he is too young now. His first chance won't be until Regionals in September. Which in the end may be perfect b/c he could go for PDC and PSA1 at the same trial.

Right now he is spending the whole month of December with my trainer as we are getting him ready for it now. After that it will be training 4x a week. He is doing short send and biting on the sleeve. His teeth should finish coming in soon and he will be on the suit in January.

Exciting times!! I hope to see and meet some of you guys for sure.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about activities that encourage biting even though it's controlled. I want Shasta to *stop* biting. What's the benefit?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Psa

The heritage of many dogs involve "working" or having a task to perform...whether that is herding, tracking, detection, police or military, hunting, or personal guardians or protectors, etc...

There are people who actually still use their dogs for what they were bred for, strangely enough :) .

·
Registered
803 Posts
No better sight than seeing your dog work. I feel bad at times when they are just laying around the house. The look they give you as they wait your command to do something is priceless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts