German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone!
This weekend my 7-month-old GSD pup, Ava, and I competed in our very first Obedience trials. I am VERY pleased to report that we qualified for our first leg! Ava's score was 181.5.
We also tested for the CGC, and she passed that as well :)

A short clip of the Recall portion of the trial is here:
https://www.facebook.com/v/10200277911852392 (I tried to search to make sure I could post a link and didn't find anything about it...please let me know if I shouldn't have done it and I will remove the link :blush:)

Ava's 3-minute Down/Stay

Ava, with her Blue Ribbon and Qualifying Leg Ribbon

Ava after getting her CGC Title

·
Registered
273 Posts
Quite an accomplishment for a 7 month old pup! Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
Congratulations!

Lee

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Well done like the brags and love the photos! Only onwards and upwards for more fame and glory for the both of you !

:)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Awesome!!! Huge congratulations!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everyone! It was more fun than I could have imagined :D Can't wait for the next show! I'm dying to sign up now, but I think she's getting ready to go into her first heat so I am trying to be patient and wait and see :blush:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Whoot! Whoot! :congratulations:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Great job! How did you work on the down stay? My 12 month old does but not three mins if distracted. Any advice to train?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
With Frank I stayed closed in front treating as he stayed down, increasing the time I asked for him to down. Only ask for short amounts of time at first, It's important to reward them before they start to get up, that way they learn if they stay down they will get the release command and get rewarded/praised.
Once they learn to stay down as long as you want them too. I start backing away from them and putting distance between us, I also shorten the time again when I do this step, so I can praise/reward for a job done right. I found this works better then correcting them for getting up, the more I corrected the more anxious the dog became, so praise was all I used to train this exercise.

Once they learn each step I add in distractions, for example when I'm standing close and they're in a down, I bounce a ball, or lay treats in front of their feet, but only after I'm comfortable they know that I 'm asking them to stay down no matter what. I do correct and lead them back to the down if they move for the distraction. Then I start over with the distraction for a shorter amount of time to catch them where I can praise them for ignoring the distraction. For example if bouncing the ball is too much I just hold the ball. or roll the ball. then treat when they ignore it. Always end on a good note.

With Frank I thought he knew his down/sit stays well when I taught them the first time, then we moved into open the handler goes out of sight at that level. Frank would not stay, so I went back and trained them all over again only like I stated above, a friend of mine that has GSD's said to be very careful and not make the dog anxious about the stays, make them something
they are very relaxed with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations! It's good fun isn't it?! ROODY and I did our first trial when she was one year old and she scored 194.5 , 193, and 196. High score in class all three days. New CD title and we're working on our CDX for the fall or next spring. Keep up the good work, she's a beautiful dog! RON

1 - 18 of 18 Posts