German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 4 month old GSD, Kaiser, was running around with us and his rear paw fell down in a storm drain grate. He hopped right up but and was babying it for a bit. I laid him down to relax for a bit and is now up running around fine now. He does have a scrap on his leg about an inch long. We plan to take him to the vet tomorrow to check him out but would putting a little Mycitracin hurt anything? He let us clean it out with some soapy warm water and I would like to put the Mycitracin on it if it helps.

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
How big is the scrape? Is the skin opening? Is there bleeding? Does it look like there will be a scar? If it is just a scrape you seem to be caring for it properly. If it is a cut, see the vet.
My dog (16 months) just got her first cut on her face today while running through the woods. It WOULD happen on a Sunday...... but the cut is minor, not deep and not opening. There may be a very thin scar if any. We are using bacitracin and watching it closely.
She going to the vet for another reason tomorrow so we shall see.........

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I really don't think a scrap would warrant a vet visit. clean it, put some antibiotics on it and watch it.. I don't go to the doctor for minor injuries, so I think it's overkill to take the dog to one for a small cut.. But if you are uncomfortable get her up there. Chances are they'll tell you to put antibiotics on it and watch it for infection.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If its not a major cut, I would treat just like you are.

My dog has had scrapes and cuts from playing with other dogs and just being a nosey dog. LOL I usually just clean it up and spray it with Vetericyn and shes good to go. She has even had a small cut under her eye...just sprayed it with vetericyn and it healed up perfect...no scar or anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.