German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week we took the dogs on their first ever vacation. And our first time camping with them!

First to South Dakota - Custer State Park

Harney Peak:

Then we headed to Bighorn National Forest in Wyoming.

38 miles of hiking last week made for some tired dogs!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Looks fun! My Shepherd hasn't been hiking up a mountain in a few months. The last time I took him, I tied both dogs to a tree to try to take some pictures and he tore through his leash out of anxiety. Very scary experience, luckily someone grabbed him when my back was turned.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks fun! My Shepherd hasn't been hiking up a mountain in a few months. The last time I took him, I tied both dogs to a tree to try to take some pictures and he tore through his leash out of anxiety. Very scary experience, luckily someone grabbed him when my back was turned.
Oh wow. Hiking actually seemed to calm my anxious one (the black and tan)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Beautiful country, but really hot lately! Glad you found some water holes...great pics!

Reactions: MayzieGSD

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beautiful country, but really hot lately! Glad you found some water holes...great pics!
The frequent stream crossings helped a ton and the dogs jumped in every time. And getting started early in the day. But it was actually cool (and even COLD overnight) in Wyoming - we were camping at 9000ft and one night it got down to 34 degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts