German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took the dogs for their walk tonight, further than we have normally gone as we've been working them up to longer walks. People never cease to amaze me. I know where we have dogs in the neighborhood but most are contained. Tonight, halfway through our, a little cockapoo starts following us, no owners in sight. We just kept going, it was keeping it's distance and not going at any of the dogs. He finally stopped and went home. Near the end before we turned to head home there is a shep/rott (?) pup that I've seen for a couple months now, normally out on a tie out all alone on the side of the house. It was off tonight with the family out playing with it. Now I know they saw us from a good distance that they could have got control of pup, but instead they just kept playing fetch. Fine by me but I'm not stopping my walk. We walk past house and sure enough, he comings running out to see us. Their probably 8 year old daughter comes running down road after pup while the parents just stand there and do nothing. My husband stopped and put Cooper and Bella into sit/stays so the girl could catch the pup, I was a ways ahead so I stopped up there to wait for them but of course pups comes to see me. Girl is running in and out of road (Not looking for cars at all). So we turn to head back, pup and girl follow and by that time the mom is finally walking out with a leash to catch pup. UGH. All she says is sorry. That's ok but you'd think they would be upset if the dog or worse their daughter got hit by a car. I try to be nice when on walks when stuff happens but it's really not our problem and we have our own dogs to control. Cooper has dog aggression that we work on with him constantly and he has progressed so well but we can't take our attention off him to deal with these dogs. But I am proud of him, he was very focused on his dad and didn't panic too much or attempt to attack. (His aggression usually starts fear first). The rest of our event was non-eventful and we have 3 pooped out puppers. (They went about 2.5 miles tonight compared to our normal 1-1.5 miles)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Wow good story to read and nice that Cooper behaved. I am happy I have no issues with Jesse when I run into dogs he loves all and if they have no interest in him he just leaves them alone. I also watch other dogs that run to us looking for signs of aggression and if I see any I turn into Alfa queen and use what is in my hands, my body stance and serious voice to stop anything in there tracks -
which has worked so far well. I use to deal with guard dogs that were in the shelter that were seized.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the puppy just wanted to play but I was just thinking what great parents! Cause that little girl really could have got hit by a car.

Earlier in the walk I think a guy thought I had attack dogs as he made a beeline to the house, opened the door, picked up some fluffy white dog and stood there staring at us...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts