German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our 13 month old female Willow a month ago. Our 7 year old cat Cher has been queen of the house. The dog has never seen a cat, and the cat has never seen a dog she is a inside cat. I want to know if you all think I am doing anything wrong or maybe tell me what I can do better. The cat has 2 bedrooms right now connected by a bathroom. I bought a gate with a little kitty door in it. The cat has not come out into our lving room since the dog got here. I do take the dog in when the cat is out from hiding wich is usually under the futon or bed. Heres what happens Willow just gets in this stance and has this stare and just stands there fixed eyes almost frozen. The cat well she rubs up against me and meows and all but then all of a sudden she will walk right up to willow nose to nose. Willow's tale just starts wagging and she does nothing. Then the cat hisses and screams at the dog, dog still does nothing. Will the cat ever come out into the living room with us ever again?? I have carried the cat out into living room but she just takes right off like lightning back to her safe zone. I guess the cat is just very mad at this big furry thing that now has come right in and taken over all of her space.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
let her come out in her own time. it may take a few days for them to get along, but they will and one day you will find them curled up together asleep. lol. it just takes time.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Give Willow a cookie for being such a good dog! Doing nothing is exactly perfect. If Willow continues to do nothing (or behave very calm) your cat will come around. Your cat is just frightened by having a very large predator in her domain. Once she realizes she's safe, she'll come around. Don't force the cat out of safety zones; that will just reinforce her fear.
However, you may reward Willow with really stinky tasty treats that your cat will want too. Chicken, liver, and tuna may lure your cat out of hiding. Make sure Willow is performing calm behaviours (like sit, or down) to earn these treats, and reward your cat when she makes an appearance. Reward your cat when she is still in her safety zone; don't try to lure her past her safety zone. And make sure Willow makes no sudden movements towards the cat.
PS. When Willow stares, she may be scaring the cat. It is a predatory thing to do, but in Willow's case, she is probably just curious, or confused, or maybe even nervous of the cat, so redirect her staring with a nice treat. Nobody likes to be stared at.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts