German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came in from playing in the backyard with the girl and boy. We are havng our 2nd snow storm of the season. Since Bogart was a puppy we have always wiped his paws with an old towel that we keep by the backdoor when it's rainy or snowy out. To hear the whining and crying coming from him you'd swear we were performing some kind of torture. Our neighbour was walking by one day and raised her eyebrows at the crying coming from our doorway, "just wiping Bogart's paws, please don't call the SPCA lol". Sasha on the other hand who had been a kennel dog all her life until she came to live with us sits there like a lady and doesn't say boo.

I must say the whole paw wiping process is exhausting, anybody ever teach their dogs to wipe their own paws on a mat?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I just have Stark stand and wipe him up. He was a filthy mess after today's park adventure.

Have you tried just wipping his dry paws when he is relaxed, rewarding when he doesn't fuss? Play with his paws?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My hundred pound working line big, strong handsome boy acts like he's having major surgery with no anesthesia when he has a bath. The vet can't look in to his ears without him yowling like he's been stuck with a hot poker. It's embarrassing.

My girl Lucy on the other hand was the most stoic dog me.,,and my vet...ever met. She endured a lot through a serious illness and then her cancer and chemo....she'd come out of chemo drugged up and STILL want to play ball. She came back from being spayed and got home...picked up the ball and wanted to play.

Same with human boys....not the most stoic bunch.

Good story, thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup, we always have made a point of playing with his paws, but he's never liked them touched. He's very obedient about sitting there and will even lift his paw for us to wipe as he knows the routine, but he whines and cries, not like he's in pain, just because he's not happy with the situation , he's had enough , and wants to go inside already lol

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your boy is a drama King, King. he's not a Queen.
i keep a towel next to the door. it's hanging on the
fire place irons, we don't have a fire place. i got the
fire place irons for $2.00 at a yard sale, i couldn't resist.

you could put some towels down and stretch them
across the floor. how about getting a runner?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: JenniferDMy hundred pound working line big, strong handsome boy acts like he's having major surgery with no anesthesia when he has a bath. The vet can't look in to his ears without him yowling like he's been stuck with a hot poker. It's embarrassing.

Same with human boys....not the most stoic bunch.

ha ha, love it !glad, to know Bogart isn`t the only one lol

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Originally Posted By: Sasha2008I must say the whole paw wiping process is exhausting, anybody ever teach their dogs to wipe their own paws on a mat?
Boy, I can relate! Heidi whines and cries when we clean her paws before she comes in the house. And she's always pulling really hard to get away as we're cleaning them, which is a real pain. She used to be fine with us cleaning her paws, but this year, she's very impatient and doesn't feel like she should put up with the "indignity" of getting the dirt wiped off of her paws!

·
Registered
467 Posts
My 13 week old GSD just thinks I'm playing with him. He rolls all over the towel and bites it. Takes forever to dry him off. Sucks being in FL, rains ALL the time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I guess Missy's just odd. When she was a puppy I would wash her paws off if they where muddy. Now she can't stand muddy paws and will find any puddle, bowl ect to wash them herself. If I miss any mud when she comes in she will run right to her water bowl and wash them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts