German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I want to hear about all the 'affectionate' mishaps that has landed the silly hoomans in the hospital/doctor/ouch factors.
Ya, I learned an important lesson. When you give the dog a beef bone for the first time in their life they might not understand. They'll lick at it, and look confused. You will try to help by holding it like you would a regular bone.
O, silly human.
Ya, she got me. Lots of blood, a tetanus shot, xrays, and (ANOTHER?!!!) week of anibiotics later I'm mostly ok. (Apparently bleeding for a prolonged period of time is normal. Clotting? Where are you?!)
It obviously was a complete accident, and afterwards I felt like a complete idiot.
So, please make me feel better by adding in your own stories!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Only two of us needed a hospital visits with Mia. She was 10 weeks old and the instances were a day or so apart. She got my son (14 at the time) when he was laying down on the floor, she gave him a nice hello with a bite on his ear...it would not stop bleeding so he needed some taping. Then I was holding a ball and she grabbed it and her sharp little canine punctured my thumb...boy did that hurt. Just a tetanus shot for me!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I've had stitches in my eyebrow twice once from my old dobe Zeus and the last time from my lab. Both times I was playing on the ground with them when our heads met and there's won,lol Zoe has sprained my ankle running after a stick with me and given me a bloody nose when she was oh so happy to see me:) It sucks but it's part of being a dog owner.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, but it was an accident. She missed the bone in my hand.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Just curious how that happened.. accidental bites usually don't require medical attention. I mean, did she jump up to snatch it and get your hand or something?

J's broken my nose (I hugged him from behind and he whipped his head back to kiss me.. lol), my old bulldog destroyed my wrist when she ran by after a dog outside of the fence... I've been pushed into freezing water by him - but I think that was planned.. My old male GSD bit my arm pretty good when he was 14 or so and didn't recognize me.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Well none have landed me in the ER but Rio on his last night with us was in so much pain I got bit. He got me in the arm pretty good.

Max did not like me using the mixer and reach up and bit me in the arse! Now that was the prettiest purple you ever did see!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Omy was terrible about stepping on my flipflops when I walked in front of her, causing me to stop dead in my tracks. I was carrying way too many grocery bags in the door, she stepped on the flipflop and I went straight into the front door- which wouldn't have been too bad if my husband hadn't opened it at that exact moment to 'help'. I took a nose dive onto the tile floor, with all the bags. So Omy helped by jumping on me. No serious injury, but lots of squashed food.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I did explain it. I had a small beef soup bone to give to the dog. Dog didnt have a clue what to do with it. I routinely hold (bigger, mind you) bones for her to chew on. I held it, she missed the bone to chew it and accidentally bit me. If she bit me on purpose I'm sure I would have stitches. There is a deep scratch running from my nail diagonally about this long ---. If that. The hospital took xrays because my finger looked a little squashed where the cut was and they wanted to make sure the bone was intact and there wasnt anything 'floating' in there. They told me that 99.99 percent of the time even if the dog belonged to them they report all dog bites. When I explained the stupidity of my own actions they said that they believed me and would not be reporting it. If, in fact me and Shenzi had an incident my post would look something like 'holy **** my dog bit me now what?!' not a comical laugh at me(make me feel better) post. Shenzi has an incredible out, I dig my hand around her food all the time, can put my hands in her mouth as she's eating, the dog could care less. The only reason why I went to the hospital is because 40 minutes later I was still bleeding.
I know the board fully knows my dog has issues that are not my fault. But to insinuate that she bit me on purpose and I concocted this ridiculas story that makes me look like a moron(ya, I had a moment there) to cover it up? I wouldnt have mentioned it in the first place if I needed or wanted to 'hide something'.
I know everyone here wants to make sure that the GSD stays off of breed specific legislation laws. My dog is not a danger to anyone. I thought this would bring a laugh to some people, and perhaps make me feel a little better about my own stupidity.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Nothing that required a doctor. But young Jiva jumped up at my face abruptly and made contact with my lip causing a split an swelling.

Worst was when I was working on recall with my rottie. We were in the park & I had a 20 ft nylon rope on her so I could reel her in if necessary. I didn't notice the rope had wound around my legs and she took off running and I was yanked up off my feet and fell backwads on my head. Actually saw stars... until then I thought that was just an expression! Very painful headache and a bump.
Wasn't funny at the time, but it cracks me up now to remember it. Must have looked funny happening.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Yep, she got you...and near the finger nail too...ouch!

No blood stories but Annie fractured my shin bone. She was running right towards me and at the last minute she veered off to my right, but she slid and caught me with her back end. I had a dent in my leg most of the summer and a giant black and blue. (and it itched like crazy when it started to heal)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Our 14 yo gsd mix has nipped at hubby a couple of times when he got real close to her face. I feel bad for both of them because she's his baby and her eyesight is so bad that I think he spooked her. I was hugging Dakota real close to her face one day and she whipped her head up and slammed into my nose real hard. Ouch!! Jackie bit my thumb, but in her defense I had my hand in her mouth trying to get a piece of bark that she was chewing on. Her razor puppy tooth got me. That was the only one that drew blood and it was just a little bit, so no ER, just a bandaid. Oh and some triple antibiotic. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Death ,
I currently have 3 nasty cuts on various fingers all resulting from my 18 week old and shark who has razors in her mouth . All were completely innocent mistakes and I expect more . Last night we nailed the barking command and she was so excited as I treated her she got my index finger GOOD with her lower incissor tooth . Opened me up like a kitchen knife and I bled like a stuck pig for hours !its bloody sore today .

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I had to get 4 stitches in my baby finger opening up a can of dog food...does that count? ( I keep telling everyone I can't cook...shouldn't even prepare food!)

This Saturday hubby and I had to be somewhere fairly early. I kept 'snoozing', so hubby sent in reinforcements. Hondo jumped up on the bed...I was far too close to the edge.. and down we both went. Somehow (stuff like this always happens to me) my toe hit the bed frame and tore off the edge of my toe along with part of the nail. Bled like crazy...hurt like hec...but we made it to our appointment on time.

Hondo, ever the gentleman, thinks it's his fault and insists on checking out the band-aid. I have to wear socks around the house now....

·
Registered
428 Posts
Worst was when I was working on recall with my rottie. We were in the park & I had a 20 ft nylon rope on her so I could reel her in if necessary. I didn't notice the rope had wound around my legs and she took off running and I was yanked up off my feet and fell backwads on my head. Actually saw stars... until then I thought that was just an expression! Very painful headache and a bump.
Wasn't funny at the time, but it cracks me up now to remember it. Must have looked funny happening.

LOL!!! Sounds almost like what happened with me and Dakota. I took her outside on her 30 foot lead when she was younger. I had her on that because our yard isn't all the way fenced (we're on 3 acres) and she had a tendency to run all over the place, next door etc. I figured I would throw her ball just far enough that she wouldn't reach the end of her lead. Oops, threw it too far. By the time I realized it and before I could let go she reached the end at a dead run. Needless to say she yanked me up into the air and I landed flat on my tummy. I felt like an idiot! Thank goodness our backyard is surrounded mostly by trees and the only neighbor that could have seen it wasn't around. :blush:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am a 250#, 6'2" Ex-Linebacker. I am now a construction worker.

In addition, I have a strapping 18 year old son that loves to try to take me on. In short, I have given some licks and taken quite a few myself.

But the worst pain I have ever felt waas when my buddy Tonka came charging at me across the dining room floor (tile). I knelt down to hug him, but he could not stop.(Imagine Wiley Coyote)

We met head to head; I was not knocked out but close to it. He didn't even notice the contact. He was quite curious as to why my eyes were tearing and I spent several minutes in a daze.

At some point he realized that I was hurt and started whining and licking my face.

I love my big doofus.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just wanted to thank everyone-I do feel better reading your stories!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Bella has got me twice. Both times playing with her flirtpole. The toy zipped by my leg jus as she was going for it. She brused me but dint not bring blood. The goofas did nit even know she bit me she jus kept chasing that darn tug toy. :smirk: lol

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've never been bitten (too hard) by any of my GSD. I did have one, Baer, who liked to nip at my butt or thigh, and then back up and "smile" at me. He was very fond of girls and would try to nip at my daughters' friends. We called it "flirting."
My Max (my avitar) head butted me once when I was sitting by him and made a barking noise. I saw some TV show that talked about using barking to discipline - because that is what the mama dog does. My advice is don't try it with a grown dog. LOL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts