German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I eval 2 males this weekend. The 2 males(5 & 7) both black and tan are in bad bad shape You can see their ribs and both could use an easy 15lbs We thinking maybe there is a possibility they have worms. The owner showed us how much she feeds them. It seemed like enough. I brought her 150lbs of dog food and treats. Their stools that I saw around were normal looking and weren't loose.Their hair is dry and coarse feeling more like straw then hair. They are missing hair in spots They have bad skin that could very well be flea allergies. Maybe the father gave the son the allergy gene to fleas. I did find fleas walking on them.I am sure these guys could be very handsome again. Honestly I have never seen gs in this condition. It was so sad.
As far as the eval all we nice dogs. All could be touched poked and pulled with no neg. reaction They shared a toy that could be taken away from them. All took treats gently . They live with a 4 year old girl and are great with her, a big plus. They get along with female dogs They are e fenced trained and never wear their collars and stay in the yard. These dogs are living outside. They are nice dogs that have horrible owners.It was so sad to see dogs like this. There is no way these gs will get adopted looking like this. I think the boys would be PTS if sent to a shelter.
There are so many plus with these guys. I don't want to see them be PTS Pictures will be post by my friend. Please feel free to contact me.
I will be going back with flea and worm meds. Nothing was opened when I left the eval. They also haven't been fixed

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Here are the pictures. Do the owners want to surrender them? Are they going to take them to the shelter? What do the owners want to do with them. If they are outside dogs.....YIKES....the winter is coming!!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
They are nice looking. What are the owners looking to do?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The owner is looking to rehome them.
These are good pics. Believe me the boys are in bad shape!!!!!You can't tell in the pics. The inside of both boys legs are missing hair and their skin is red.
The boys must of been soooo handsome at 1 time and can be again.
I can help with pulling and transport if anyone needs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Do the Maryland or Philly rescues have room?
SASRA does have room, but that doesn't necessarily translate to room for these two. The owner would have to contact SASRA directly to start the surrender process if that's the route they would like to take.

I also wouldn't automatically rule out the shelters. I think Ottsville is Bucks County and the Bucks SPCA is rescue-friendly. If they can surrender them to the Perkiomenville branch of the Montgomery County SPCA the staff there is very rescue-friendly and GSD savvy.

I don't know what's sadder . . . the situation or the fact that I looked at the photos and thought the dogs didn't look that bad; we've pulled a few in much worse shape recently.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
We're working on two possibilities....one rescue and one shelter. We'll see what we can work out. The shelter is near me and has a good reputation for placement. I've talked to the Shelter Mgr who I know very well and she's willing to help if rescue doesn't work out. Alane will find out first from rescue if they can take them.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Alane is too modest to say.....but she is making the LONG trip again today to get Frontline on these two boys and see what else she can do to make them comfortable. We should know in the next few days if we have rescue/shelter help.
Thank you Alane!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
God bless you Alane! Hoping for the best.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE It has been a long day but the boys have gone into an all breed rescue. I want to thank everyone who has help me/them.
A big giant thanks to Camp Pappy. Your the best!!!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I don't know what's sadder . . . the situation or the fact that I looked at the photos and thought the dogs didn't look that bad; we've pulled a few in much worse shape recently.
What's sad is that little girl with her arms around those two sorry-looking animals, smiling like she's never seen anything different. What in the world are these parents teaching their kids?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Thanks for taking care of these two, I hope they get a better life poor babies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts