German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else with dogs with behavioral problems feel like giving up?

I think my guilt stems from feeling like I simply am not giving Heidi what she needs, but also not being willing to give up on her. Sometimes I even feel like I am making things worse when new behavioral issues arise. She has been through so many homes before me (3 that we know of), and with all her issues, I don't know if another person would work to persevere to work with her to become the amazing dog I know she is/can be. I guess I'm just having a little pity party because things have been so tough with her so far, and I know they wont improve for a long time if ever. She just gives me so much anxiety at times (already have a diagnosed anxiety disorder and depression) that I wonder if it's worth it. I don't think, "it's too hard" is a valid excuse to get rid of a pet, but I feel like she may be exasperating my mental health issues which I'm sure stresses her out as well. I don't even know what I would do if I ever were to give up on keeping her. Any kill-place is out, I feel guilty burdening already stretched-thin rescues, don't trust methods like Craigslist, and would feel like there's an empty space where she used to be. Ugh, I guess this is really just a vent for myself, so whatevz.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts