German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the most amazing experience tonight. My husband and I took Lucy out for a walk to the reserve tonight and let her off leash. The first dogs we came upon I saw ahead of time and put her back on leash. There were two large labs loose, and one on leash. This went pretty uneventfully, and everyone was civil. OK, then we passed them and off the leash again. On the way back we ran into the same group, and again, all went well. I gave all three labs a liver treat with their owner's permission, even though he said the one on leash did not take treats nicely. He did fine.
Then we met another two labs who were not so nice. They were off leash, and their owner was far behind, carrying only a beer. No leashes, no treats, only a beer.
The dogs came running, and Lucy was on her leash. All appeared well, until one of them growled at her. My alpha bitch came out, and I told this yellow lab in no uncertain terms that there would be NONE of that. Believe it or not, there was no more of that! By the time the owner got to us the situation was under control, and Lucy was barking her big girl bark with no hackles- kind of like "yeah, what SHE said!"
I think everything went as well as could be expected. But I was struck by the fact that my GSD, who is a PUPPY, was on leash while these full grown labs were not. I had far greater control over my GSD PUPPY than these folks did over their adult dogs, yet they chose to have them off leash and I had mine on leash when they were around. The reason she was on leash was she came to me when called.

I'll bet if I behave like this last owner did the rules would be different because she is a GSD. But I won't, and Lucy will not act like that either.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Congratulations! That's such a good feeling!

My husband took Heidi on a long hike today (where there are always a lot of other dogs) and said that she was very well behaved and didn't get reactive towards any of the other dogs (which is quite a feat, considering how she used to be!) She even encountered a horse for the first time on a narrow path and did fine.

It really bothers me when people have their dogs off leash and they come running up to Heidi. She has come a long way but she still gets upset if a strange dog comes up to her and gets in her face.

Keep up the good work with Lucy!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I am glad to hear that Lucy did so well.

I live in a world of off leash dogs so I try to be prepared for everything. Some days when I go to the park there could be as many as 50 other dogs there! I visit all kinds of parks and places where I expect to find off leash dogs but I've got them all over my street too! Luckily everyone is very friendly and most of the dogs are friendly too and most owners are quite responsible. I haven't experienced much prejudice against my dogs. I have found that gsds play rougher than a lot of other dogs and that labs like to jump on people and are often poorly trained! Poor Chama has been literally run over by so many exuberant labs that she absolutely hates them now!

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
ditto on my end, although I mostly avoid dog parks. I have a few GSD's, including a rescue, my neighbors two black labs, my son two yellow labs, and my ex a Chow.

They play great together. However, if a novice saw them, he/she would think they were trying to kill each other.

The only bad experiences have been with the smaller aggressive dogs, for example terriers. They tend to bite and become aggressive toward the bigger guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts