German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a problem. Lara seems to have really bad reactions to new dogs to the point that wjen they are 40 feet away she is barking her face off and usially only stops if they are out of sight or she gets to greet them after being calm...I started her at puppy class when She was 12 weeks, we go to petco play time now that her shots are done..she is always FINE and relaxed. But we go on a walk in public and she's a little monster

I really need this to stop. I have tried walking away until she calms down, feeding her tons of treats for "look at that" when we are far enough so she doesn't bark.
The trainer said feed her for looking at other dogs even if she's barking but I feel like thata reinforcing it. Distractions dont work if we have reached her crazy threshold of like 60 feet.

Should I just continue trying to find places where dogs are far away and praising treating and then working up to closer distances? I am just confused why she is fine in class and group settings but a simple dog walking on the street sets her off.
She was nearly attacked at 9 weeks by a loose dog. She used to be unsure of people but we worked through that amd She Is 100% comfortable around all people now.

Iguess I'm just con erned this won't ever get better :( any advice or just chatting would be gladly welcomed
Ps sorry for typos I am on my phone which somehow doesn't have auto correct
I think it may be tied to leash aggression or frustration. We live in an apartment so She is leashed 90% of the time

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I should rephrase to dog reactivity and not aggression

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
17 weeks

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Ok. She is a baby still. And thus behavior us actually one I warn most new GSD owners about. When they get to 4-5 months they often get leash reactive. I link it to frustration and figuring out they are a big dog.

Keep doing what you are doing. Go to more obedience classes. Have very high reward treats when in a walk. Turn the other direction the second she perks up at another dog and reward her the second her attention is back on you. Then turn back around, rinse repeat. She will learn that acting a fool takes her away from what she wants. It's a slow process, but it works.

Keep up obedience classes, build her confidence with hikes and tricks and positive reinforcement.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts