German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Works great! I worked with Lisl since last night getting her used to it and giving treats before and after trimming her nails.

She doesn't mind as long as she's getting a treat afterwards and the tool works great.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
We have an Oster dremel as well. I like it, and it works.... but, I really hate how mine runs on battery. I wish it had a cord. The batteries run out SUPER fast on mine! By the third dog, I'm having issues. Since mine don't really enjoy this activity... and dying dremel makes my job a million times more difficult and time consuming.

When the batteries are 100% though, it really does a great job.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For something that is used as often as this rechargable batteries make much more sense than alkaline.

I have five sets of four AA NiMH and one set of Lithium-Ion I use in four different devices.

Camera, wideband receiver, portable shortwave receiver, and now the Oster.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
dont buy a dog specific tool. Everyone can use a dremel, get one off ebay and itll have the sanding drums for dogs nails plus 100 other useful attachments.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything except a guard.

I have a variable speed Dremel, but I wouldn't use it because there is no guard for the rest of her paw, pad, and fur.

The Dremel also has a higher torque, higher speed motor that makes a heck of a lot more noise than the Oster.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
That's why I don't own just a regular dremel. The dogs are not a fan of the dremel and do move a lot still. "I" don't feel comfortable without my nail guard. I don't use it for the entire trim, but for the main part where I get it down to the quick... I use it to make sure I have 100% control so I can stop before I hit the quick.

However, if you have a dog that allows it quietly, and someone to help stabilize the dog... the regular dremel tools work amazingly!! My trainer has one which he does all of my dogs nails with, very quick and never has any issues or slowing down. Just make sure if you use one, you watch the speed you use and how long you spend on each nail.. let it cool in between paws. Those get very fast and super hot... it can hurt the dog or even burn yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts