German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She whines when she needs to potty, eat, bored or tired…. Does anyone have a google translate for GSD puppy whine?
Seriously though, although I have read they do whine a lot normally, I think we are having potty accidents because we can't interpret the whine…..
She seems to be a relatively calm (not high strung or anxious pup) I believe we are showing her clear leadership, and providing stucture…
Sometimes I just want her to talk!!!
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine started doing that too! She is almost 14weeks old. We have been taking her out numerous times, and then sometimes when we go out.. she just look at us like " i dont have to go stupid human"
So I bring her inside... play with her... feed.... water... everything.. I lay down with her..
Then we figured it out tonight... SHE WAS BORED!
We went to the local Pet Store and bought a few new toys, and took her to the local park... she had a blast... and came home and continued with her new toys...
then passed out on the carpet! LoL
Maybe a few new toys or some more trips to the local doggy park to let her run???

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I can't really help- never had a whiner- but I just wanted to say that she's absolutely gorgeous and I love her name. Kola may be right, it could be boredom.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Freyja doesn't bark unless she's in 100% play mode or something is about to be killed (counts for trespassing UPS men). I have learned to differentiate the whines. There is "I really need to pee Mom" whine, the "OMG I have to poop" whine, the "It's 5 O'Clock where is dinner/breakfast time" whine , the "Mom, you're boring, play with me" whine and the "OMG I haven't seen you in sooo long!!!!!" (6-12 hours since seeing you) whine, and my favorite, the "Mom, its past bedtime" groan. My fiance and I joke that we need WD-40 due to the squeaking. There is no secret code to whining, it depends on the dog...Freyja was about 6 months old or so before we both understood what her whining meant. Now people look at me like I grew a third head when she wines and I excuse myself from the room because the "puppy needs a potty break" when 10 min before I tell people that she's bored and wants to play so ignore her.

If you have a total whiner and are thoroughly confused, please feel free to PM me.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1>>>> here you know she whines when
she wants to go out.

2>>>> here you think you're having
accidents because you can't interpret
the whine.

i think she might be whining because
she wants something or your attention.
take your dog out often. going
out often might help with the accidents.

1>>>> She whines when she needs to potty, eat, bored or tired…. Does anyone have a google translate for GSD puppy whine?

2>>>> Seriously though, although I have read they do whine a lot normally, I think we are having potty accidents because we can't interpret the whine…..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine used to whine alot when I first got him, like for the first 2 weeks. I think his littermates and parents.
Now, 6 months old, he is the whiniest little big German shepherd I have EVER met!
He whines when he is happy, like in the mornings when we first wake up. Or when I first get home from being gone. Its like a howling-whine. But, I guess that makes him, him! lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Freyja doesn't bark unless she's in 100% play mode or something is about to be killed (counts for trespassing UPS men). I have learned to differentiate the whines. There is "I really need to pee Mom" whine, the "OMG I have to poop" whine, the "It's 5 O'Clock where is dinner/breakfast time" whine , the "Mom, you're boring, play with me" whine and the "OMG I haven't seen you in sooo long!!!!!" (6-12 hours since seeing you) whine, and my favorite, the "Mom, its past bedtime" groan. My fiance and I joke that we need WD-40 due to the squeaking. There is no secret code to whining, it depends on the dog...Freyja was about 6 months old or so before we both understood what her whining meant. Now people look at me like I grew a third head when she wines and I excuse myself from the room because the "puppy needs a potty break" when 10 min before I tell people that she's bored and wants to play so ignore her.

If you have a total whiner and are thoroughly confused, please feel free to PM me.
hahahah This is my dog. I could not have written this better myself. Mine is 7.5 months and she is the most talkative thing. I enjoy it, except the I am bored, play with me, when I really do need to be working. This normally accompanies a giant toy in her mouth and her dropping it on my laptop keyboard.

Once you know your dog, all the whines make sense. But it took me awhile before I could differentiate between them all. I'll admit.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Jackson was always a whiner and still is. I am glad that he tells me when he needs to go potty, and it's nice to know he's excited to see me, but sometimes the whining is very unnecessary and obnoxious.

Be careful not to reward the whining. I did that alot. He would paw at his crate and whine when I went to let him out in the morning as I would open the door, when I should have been WAITING for him to stop, then open the door. He would/does whine at the door in excitement when it's time to go for a walk or out to play or potty, I just tried to ignore it and opened the door. And now he's a BIG dog, with a big and very loud whine, and he's also got alot more energy. I have to try and reverse this now! He has been making progress, but SLOWLY....VERY slowly....They say GSDs are smart but my god he doesn't get it! I just realized it was getting to be a problem when he needs to go out at night, gets to the door, and starts screaming because he's excited. In the middle of the night it wakes everyone up. It can be "cute" that he talks to me, but it does get really obnoxious and very annoying to everyone in the house!!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Good advice fromvPupperLove. I like the whining, let's me know that something needs taken care of...but sometimes there is whining for the sake of whining. I think he may be self soothing.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My last GSD never whined. Romeo has turned it into an art form.

Whine 1: Let me out of x pen I promise to be good (never works....he las learned he has to lay down and be calm)

Whine 2: Fix food faster mom

Whine 3: I want to go outside, not to pee but to be a butthead (no longer works)

Whine 4: I do have to pee or poo. If you do not understand this whine I grab a table leg and chew

Whine 5: Play with me or the rug and pillow get it (we devalued the pillow so this stopped)

Whine 6: You are not letting me get close to enough to that person/dog to play

Whine 7: You have left the car without permission from me

Whine 8 (at obedience class): Are you really walking to the other side of the arena for a recall practice??? DONT LEAVE ME MOM!!!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I don't see the age of the pup. If she is over 3 months she shouldn't be having any mistakes. They often whine because they want you to play. Sometimes it is out of frustration because they are trying to tell you something and you aren't getting it.
Mine still whines at 20 months when she wants to play something. I just tell her SSHHH and she stops, or we play. Also, she has never made a mistake since 12 weeks and never asked to go out. She just holds it because she knows we will let her out within a 'reasonable' amount of time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the third time I have written this reply and gotten kicked off the computer..
Stosh, thanks, the breeder wanted a Z name... :)
She whines when she needs to go out, but doesn't go to the door. Mostly she is restless. If there is another possible reason for the whining I may not pick up on the potty...:(
For instance, the other day she was whining at dinnertime, but had a accident when I thought she was hungry.....
She goes out at least once per hour, but randomly will pee on the floor in 15-30 mins. The vet says for a 12 week old he feels that is normal....

·
Registered
139 Posts
My Lijha is a big time whiner. I am starting to be able to tell the difference between the "I have to go outside whine" and the "I'm thirsty whine" among all the others. She only barks when she is frustrated, usually because she got herself suck under a piece of furnature or Noni left a toy she wants in plain sight when she is in her crate. Figuring out her "language" is half the fun. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts