German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took the pups on a trail run yesterday morning, it has been cold and icy here, plus we live in a desert so our off-leash hikes often come with goatheads, cholla spikes, and other sharp things- it's unusual if we don't have to stop 2-3 times to remove things from their paws. They have gone on off-leash hikes (in snowy/icy areas) almost every day for the past week.

Anyway- yesterday, maybe 4-5 hours after she came home from our run, Osa started limping, favoring one of her front paws. It's a pretty pronounced limp. We looked for any missed spikes or burrs, but the only thing that looks unusual is that she has cracks on both her front big paw pads, and on the paw that she is favoring it looks deeper than the other paw.

Would this be enough to make her limp? She is still limping this morning, but has energy. I'm not sure if we should restrict her movement or let her go on her evening walk.

I did put bag balm on the pads this morning and will do so again. We tested range of motion on both front legs and nothing produces any signs of pain. The only thing that does is touching the pads.

What to do? I feel sorry for the poor puppy :(

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Should we keep her from hiking this afternoon? Worried that she'll go nutty without exercise, but I don't want to make it worse.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
it does sound like it's a cracked pad,,I honestly don't know if hiking again will make it worse,,the bag balm is good stuff tho:)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
THis has happened with my pup in the snow. Could be a mixture of snow and ice and salt (if you walk in city areas like we do). I wouldn't take her out with you on a hike because it won't be easy to take her home if it's something worse and the symptoms increase. Instead I would do some sort of training (to release some mental energy) and short play session that encourage close interaction with you (i.e. not fetch - my dog will run after a ball with a broken leg if he had to :) ) Then you can let her run around off leash in a safe area so that she can stop and rest or lift her paw to show you when it hurts. Good luck! I hope it's only a temporary thing...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
If it's a cracked pad then I'd recommend the Rejuva Spray or gel in addition to the bag balm. That's what we use for Kailor's paws. They split open all of the time in the winter.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ruth, do you restrict activity when it happens? Can you get Rejuva anywhere except online?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts