German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone- We're new here and I have a question for you all.

I just last week adopted a new GSD rescue from our shelter and I can't figure out her color.

No pics yet, but I'll describe her for you. Appx. 2 yrs. old-60 lb.

Blackish over back, white/silver hairs interspersed on shoulders and neck, tail is black on top

and light tan underneath, head is blend of silver/black. No dark mask. Face is light, light golden

tan but with brown eyes and Cleopatra eyeliner all around eyes. Egyptian looking eye makeup.

To me, her coloring is a mix of black, tan and sable. Short hair so far, but she was in poor

shape ( had recently been nursing puppies) and with great almost raw food and vitamins I

think she'll perk up coat wise. But what color do I call her?

thanks everyone. She is my 2nd rescue GSD. I lost my first girl in July at 16 yr. old- DM.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Good on ya for giving this girl a good home! Her color is, for obvious reasons, difficult to pin down without a photo. But from your description it sounds to me like she'd be considered black and tan.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim, I think you're right. The sable peeking out in areas confused me as I know how much their coat can change
once they start getting healthier.

I wouldn't mind if her coat got a little thicker and more lustrous. She's getting a few raw eggs per week, mostly semi-
raw diet of various meats, daily multi-vitamin and omega's.

She's putting on some muscle and actually appears to have grown/stretched out since she was so frail looking when
I picked her up at shelter. they also had just spayed her and gave her all the shots. So she had the works.

This is a great community and I look forward to participating.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
:welcome: I agree with Tim from your description to say black & tan. That's wonderful after your first rescue crossed the bridge at the grand age of 16 that you went and adopted another.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is almost like a hidden camera show: "Please tell me what color my dog is. I don't have a picture so I will describe her to you..... Go!"

We should all take guesses based on the description and then it will be a two-part test. The first part will be how well you actually described her (once you actually post a picture) and the second part, if you described accurately, is who was right.

I understand your enthusiasm to find out, what is preventing you sharing a photo?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've not taken any photos of her yet because 1) My good camera stopped working after I loaned it out. and 2) I have

a flip phone that does not take pictures. Good enough?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, very similar. Thanks. Your gal is beautiful Sabis Mom. My first GSD was called gray at the shelter but when I learned about the various colors and

saw pics online, I realized she was silver sable (all over). This new one confused me because she has hints of sable mainly

in shoulders and hips with blacker saddle area. Also the light face with no real mask except for dark eyeliner and darker ears is different. I think she has some dark hairs coming in around the muzzle.

I guess I need to peruse color charts again but I think you're all right, she's black and tan.

I wonder if her coloring will change and if she'll get a different winter coat. She's quite short and slick right now. Not

much fluff when I brush her. But due to her poor condition she could blossom and change a lot. I already see slight

changes for the good.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
The sable coloring that goes down the back and commonly across the shoulders is referred to as a bitch stripe and is really common on the black and tans. It is also common for them to have silvery undersides and chests, it's really just faded tan. Around here anyway there are tons of dogs coming from BYB's that have light faces but have retained the eye makeup, in fact if I recall Shadows mom had just a bit of brown/black on her muzzle but the defined eyeliner look.
I can't wait to see pics of your girl. She sounds lovely and I am happy she has found someone to love.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds like a black and tan with lots of fading. Like Sabi's Shadow, this is my black and tan (back yard bred) male, his shoulders have quite a bit of mixed colored fur, his underside is very light, almost white. His face is dark, but fades by the day I swear. He has a "bitch stripe" coming through, and continues to fade to tan. Can't wait to see pictures of you dog, I'm glad she found a home. ?

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a stunning expression on your dog. I can't get over the variation in facial markings as well as the body shading.

I can see the very light on your dog too. Now that I study Heidi as she was lying by my chair, her tan is really cream

colored like your dog except hers is all over- chest, face, legs, under tail and upper tummy. But the oddest thing

about her is she sorta looks like she's wearing an eye mask like Robin in Superman. Kim Kardashian would love

her eyeliner- it's jet black like painted on and her face is cream. An anomaly I'm sure.

Thanks for the beautiful photo of your dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts