German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Im kinda new to the forums (although i've been lurking :/!!)
I am switching my male to Orijen, Im not sure which though. I like them both. He is currently on Evo and doing well but I would like to try a change. I was thinking the fish, but I like the other as well.
..........any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
first welcome to the forum!

Evo is a good food, if your dog is doing good on it, why switch? as far as cost, i think Evo is about the same price.

i am sure all the Origen flavors are good, if i were to use it i would go with the 6 fish flavor.

debbie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Debbie for that warm welcome!...and your reply!

My boy has never really had gas and recently he has. It is not constant but still....so I was thinkin 'bout switchin foods and came across Orijen. I have did a lil research and like what I hear. I also think he may enjoy a change.

I really enjoy this forum and am ready for any feedback or thoughts! So thanks again!

Dana

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Welcome!

I am feeding 6 Fresh Fish to Chama and she's doing great but you had better check about availability since some distributors are having trouble getting it right now.

My cousins feed the chicken one and my friends feed that one to their rottie as well and their dogs are all doing well on that.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
i forgot about the fish formula shortage.

Dana, you might want to look into that before you decide to go with Origen. also look into "taste of the wild" if you are looking for grain free they have a fish formula. a few of us are using it and our dogs are doing great on it.

debbie

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
If your dog can handle chicken then I would go with the Orijen chicken. I like their ingredients and politics a lot better than Diamond. I am feeding Rafi TOTW and he's doing okay on it but not great. If I could feed him Orijen chicken I would.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! You guys are FAST and INFORMATIVE!

So I will keep the shortage of the fish formula in mind. My boy handles chicken (and on Sunday,whatever mom mom sneaks him!) very well. Is that suggestion of chicken because of the possible fish shortage or is it a nutritional reason? Just asking, sorry to be a pain!

Thank you all for your help! I really value your input!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Why dont you try the adult formula aka chicken and mix it with the fish formula. Whatever Orijen you choose you can't go wrong.
Best of luck

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
With gas involved I wouldn't mix foods. It's better to start on one food only and see how it goes. I suggested the chicken one in case the fish becomes unavailable. On the other hand, I switch foods every 3-6 months anyway so you could start with fish and then switch to chicken if the fish becomes unavailable.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've got both my dogs on the regular Orijen formula (chicken, turkey, fish, etc...it's a good combo of ingredients). Unless your dog is intolerant/allergic to chicken, I don't see much of a reason to go with the 6 fish formula. It costs more and will likely be unavailable to some areas unless/until they get a broader fish supply. Both my dogs are doing great on the regular formula and love it.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Originally Posted By: HeatherI believe your wish may be granted later this year...
as in a new protein source for orijen? that would be great! i just went to buy a couple of 6-fish bags to stock up and my store is already out of it and they don't know when it will become available again

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi,

I once wrote to them about this and they respond back that they will be making a new formula
call 'prairie meat" if i remember correctly...
hope it's comming soon....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know I have decided on the 6 fish formula, however (as Ruth sugg.) if it becomes unavailable I will swith to the chicken formula. I am really excited and I will update you if I see any changes good or bad. Evo has beeen good to us, but I just want to see if this gas issue resolves on the Orijen.

Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I was formally using orijen but I just switched to Eagle Pack and it's far better. I highly recommend!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kohleepier,

I have done so much research and you are the only who has said that. Can you explain? Also I personally like Evo (my former food) better than Eagle pack. Im really curious as to your position. Please let me know.

Eagle pack original formula has Corn as the second ingredient and rice as the third! I DONT like that! Orijens formulas have a much higher protein content (which I like, my boy does SchH) as does Evo and the whole dog Journal rated Orijen as a super premium food...(I may have read 6 stars)

Please let me knw what yoou think.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts