German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still debating on which food I will feed my puppy. I have narrowed it down to these two:

Orijen Large Breed Puppy
Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy

Experiences? Suggestions? :help:

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I fed my pup Fromm LBPG and was very pleased with the results. I felt by about 14 months he needed a higher protein food and I moved him to another brand.

The Orijen did not really agree with him (loose stools, even after time to adjust) but a different high protein food did. I gather there are plenty of dogs on the forum who do well on one or the other of these foods but not both.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado did fantastic on Fromm LBP, he just finished his last bag a few weeks ago and is now on their Four Star line with my poodle as he's over a year old

Great coat, fantastic overall health, and energy was good on it. I love the company and the quality of their food. Both dogs eat as soon as it's down and lick their bowl spotless, my poodle is a VERY picky eater

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I am still debating on which food I will feed my puppy. I have narrowed it down to these two:

Orijen Large Breed Puppy
Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy

Experiences? Suggestions? :help:
Why not see if you can get samples of each food and see which one the puppy likes? A lot of times the stores will have samples to try. My dog did not do well on Orijen and wasn't enthusiatic about Fromm, believe me it was a lot of trial and error until I came up with the food that my boy likes and would do well on. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Try one and see if it agrees with your puppy. Both are solid kibbles.

If it were me, I'd start with the Fromm, but that's just my personal preference. I think the Orijen's a little overpriced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am hearing some wonderful experiences with the Fromm, thus far. Thanks everyone!

Is the Orijen LBP too high in protein for a puppy? The max calcium is 1.7% max phosphorus is 1.4%, is that too high?

Does anyone know what the max calcium/phosphorus levels are in the Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy?

At what age did you switch to an adult formula?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Another Fromm fan here but both are good foods. I second the getting samples if you can.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Both are great kibbles, can't go wrong with either or. I would choose Orijen just because Champion foods is my personal favourite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why not see if you can get samples of each food and see which one the puppy likes? A lot of times the stores will have samples to try. My dog did not do well on Orijen and wasn't enthusiatic about Fromm, believe me it was a lot of trial and error until I came up with the food that my boy likes and would do well on. Good luck!
What did you end up feeding?

I'm in a similar boat as the op. I've narrowed it down to Annamaet and Fromm.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
What did you end up feeding?

I'm in a similar boat as the op. I've narrowed it down to Annamaet and Fromm.
I ended up using Nature's Variety Instinct (Duck/Turkey). He really likes it and the size of the kibble is small like Fromm's. I really wanted to feed him Orijen, he just couldn't tolerate it.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I also am feeding Fromm LBP Gold with good results. Solid pup. Puppy likes it. I add coconut oil and a half of a teaspoon of Feed-Sentials.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I feed Fromm LBP..and my dog is 2.5 years old. He likes it, we like it, everything seems fine. Although cost isn't an issue to me, Orijen is almost as expensive as buying premade raw in large quantities and feeding that, so I'm not sure you wouldn't do that instead of kibble if that's an option.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
coconut oil has no omega 3 (though I think it has 6 & 9) so it is not a replacement for fish oil. That said- I feed a high quality fish oil for years (with my adult dog) and saw no real perceived benefit from it. When I switched to coconut oil, I saw immediate benefits. And so that's what I've stuck with... I use Nutiva though am considering switching to the Costco brand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The coconut oil is so great. I agree!
I use an organic brand (not home so I can't get exact name) but its usually the only organic brand in the specialty oils isle at Teeter.

Samples is such a great idea. My independent pet store where I buy Fromm has several samples on different brands available at all times.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
858 Posts
Overpriced and not worth the money is a matter of opinion. Orijen has more protein from meat sources than just about any other kibble on the market. My girl, who is currently 16 months old, has been on Orijen 6 Fish since she was about 5 months old and does fantastic on it.

That being said, you really can't go wrong with either brand. Fromm is a great food from a great company. It really comes down to what your dog does best on, and what works for your budget and your situation.

Nature's Variety Instinct is an excellent food as well.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I assume you mean Wellness Core? It's a very good food, much larger company than either Champion or Fromm, WellPet is currently owned by the Berwind Corporation. Last I heard, they still outsource some of their foods as well, though they do own their own manufacturing facility. Still a very good food though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts