German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is by "far" the best dog food kibble made today(NEW FORMULA). They really have taken dog food to a whole different league than everyone else. The first "5" ingredients are all meat and their is no other dog food on the market that comes close. The meat level is 80%,,, I would guess a good dog food would have 40%. The Glucosamine level is 3+ times that of any other dog food.

Fresh boneless chicken*, chicken meal, fresh boneless salmon*, turkey meal, herring meal, russet potato, peas, sweet potato, fresh boneless turkey*, fresh whole eggs*, fresh chicken liver*, fresh boneless lake whitefish*, fresh boneless walleye*, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fiber, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), organic kelp, pumpkin, chicory root, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, blueberries, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

* DELIVERED FRESH, preservative-free and never frozen.

No dry dog food on earth can match the quality, quantity and freshness of ORIJEN’s fresh regional poultry, fish and meat ingredients.

Glucosamine (min.) 1400 mg/kg
Chondroitin (min.) 1000 mg/kg

Orijen Pet Foods: Products

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Since it offers the glucosamine & chondroitin I assume it is for older dogs or no.

What is the price difference from regular Orijen

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the new regular adult. The price is the same,,, so far.!.!? The adult regular and the basic puppy are the only 2 new ones out at the pet store I buy from. But they are all getting redone. I bought my last bag of large breed puppy, which is the same price, 56 bucks for the 29 lb bag. I know this pet store does a very high volume of Acana and Orijen.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
This is by "far" the best dog food kibble made today(NEW FORMULA). They really have taken dog food to a whole different league than everyone else. The first "5" ingredients are all meat and their is no other dog food on the market that comes close. The meat level is 80%,,, I would guess a good dog food would have 40%. The Glucosamine level is 3+ times that of any other dog food.

Fresh boneless chicken*, chicken meal, fresh boneless salmon*, turkey meal, herring meal, russet potato, peas, sweet potato, fresh boneless turkey*, fresh whole eggs*, fresh chicken liver*, fresh boneless lake whitefish*, fresh boneless walleye*, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fiber, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), organic kelp, pumpkin, chicory root, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, blueberries, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

* DELIVERED FRESH, preservative-free and never frozen.

No dry dog food on earth can match the quality, quantity and freshness of ORIJEN’s fresh regional poultry, fish and meat ingredients.

Glucosamine (min.) 1400 mg/kg
Chondroitin (min.) 1000 mg/kg

Orijen Pet Foods: Products

I hate to burst your bubble but the "fresh" meat is this food represents very little, almost nothing actually, in terms of protein. Even if the fresh meat was 30% of the weight of the food the maximum amount of protein from that is less than 5% due to water content. The three dry meat meals are pretty much all the protein. The fresh meats just add dramatically to the cost. I have never understood why anyone would pay for fresh protein only to have it cooked and dried in processing.

I doubt also that any of the three protein meals are produced in Canada. It is totally irrelevant that the first 5 ingredients are meat based. You could have just one meat ingredient and still have the same if not more protein.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
sable123, I am well aware of the prosessing of dog food since I review dog foods for a living. I won't go any further, since I am on shaky grounds on this forum. And I well say it again THIS IS BY ""FAR"" THE BEST DOG FOOD MADE TODAY AND NO ONE COMES CLOSE. So sable who do you work for?? My guess is abady!!!

I really think we get it so cheap here is because of the volume and the shipping cost are most likely less than most places.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble but the "fresh" meat is this food represents very little, almost nothing actually, in terms of protein. Even if the fresh meat was 30% of the weight of the food the maximum amount of protein from that is less than 5% due to water content. The three dry meat meals are pretty much all the protein. The fresh meats just add dramatically to the cost. I have never understood why anyone would pay for fresh protein only to have it cooked and dried in processing.

i have to agree with you here. if the fresh meat ended up as the true first ingredient after processing, the amount they started out with would have to be so much that the food would be $140+/bag.

now, the new adult formula presumably starts out with more fresh meat than the old one. the result was a small drop in protein %, but id expect a liitle more of that protein % now comes from the fresh meat than before.....but certainly the majority of the protein comes from the named meals.

nevertheless, i still rate orijen as one of the top 3 foods im willing to feed. (believe it or not, the annamaet GF would be one of them if it was more available in the midwest)

never mind 3toestony. his modus operandi is to shout people down when he is faced with the prospect of having to reason with them.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I was told today that the "new" formula would have a price increase, from $59 to $65 (LBP).

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Orijen Red Meat is going from $70 to $82 with the switch to 80/20. Needless to say, as much as my dogs love Orijen, we'll be finding a cheaper brand when the price officially increases.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I actually kind of agree with Sable123 on this one and i'm not too happy about this new formula. Though the total amount of meat has gone up from 70% to 80% the protein percentage dropped from 40% to 38%.

This actually represents a downgrade to me. More fresh meat, but less meat meal. The fresh meat gets cooked anyways, so really it decreases the amount of meat in the food which is not a good thing. This is most likely why the protein percentage dropped.

I do agree with the OP about Orijen being the best dog food on the market though.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
If they had increase meat meal then maybe it would be more impressive. Someone is going to have to convince me about the improvement also.

I like to feed fresh meat as that.. fresh meat.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I too am not impressed with the new formula. And the price here for the 6 fish will be close to 80.00/bag I believe. I certainly don't mind paying more for a better product but I'm not so sure that it is. Dissapointing that it's been changed, as Jax does well on it. We haven't yet started on the new version...will see how that goes.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I actually kind of agree with Sable123 on this one and i'm not too happy about this new formula. Though the total amount of meat has gone up from 70% to 80% the protein percentage dropped from 40% to 38%.

This actually represents a downgrade to me. More fresh meat, but less meat meal. The fresh meat gets cooked anyways, so really it decreases the amount of meat in the food which is not a good thing. This is most likely why the protein percentage dropped.

I do agree with the OP about Orijen being the best dog food on the market though.
The total amount of Meat at 80% is a marketing ploy. It is simply not true.

Counted in that is water.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I am phasing in our first bag of it. So we shall see. The price was cheaper than the 6 fish or Regional Red.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
It's hardly the "best" food out there.

The best food is the food that works best for individual dogs. Can't even begin to tell you how many dogs I've heard of not doing well on orijen.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's hardly the "best" food out there.

The best food is the food that works best for individual dogs. Can't even begin to tell you how many dogs I've heard of not doing well on orijen.
It is by far the "best" dog food out there, PERIOD. And I do not work for them. You can bet it is NOT going to work for all dogs. Many dogs can not do Fish, chicken, Salmon etc. IT IS STILL THE BEST TODAY.
The red is NOT going to 80%, it is going to 75%,,, because those ingredients are much harder to source.
I really don't mean to be rude, but you people really should get your facts straight. The meat percent is in fact 80percent,, PLEASE DO SOME research about what the FDA allows. It is ridiculous some people are making such S posts with out proving their posts or leaving any links.
I do this for a living and I did not put this up, without first doing a little home work...
And last if it ""was"" 80percent before processing give me one kibble who is even close????? abady, lolololololol!!!!!

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would also like to point out that Sable, does not, nor will they ever leave pictures of their dogs . Please note my dogs nice coat!! It's called PROOF!!!!!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts