German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
The store where I buy it has both old and new. Seemed to me that 70% was high. I will be curious to hear about the results of 80%.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eddie, do you know when they changed to the new formula?
DG- From what I remember, it was about two weeks ago that I first read about the change in the formula. It was just after I started my girl on Orijen. BTW, she is doing great on Orijen, doesn't shed as much, breath smells MUCH better, has more energy and has put on a few pounds (good weight as she had been losing weight steadily over the last year or two).

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
The store where I buy it has both old and new. Seemed to me that 70% was high. I will be curious to hear about the results of 80%.
I think they just cut down on the meat meal and upped the fresh meat, so overall, there's more meat (70% to 80%), but after cooking, there is probably less meat.

I still have a couple leftover bags of the older formula, so I haven't tried the new one yet, but I will report back when I do. Hopefully, it's a smooth transition.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks Eddie, I just read up on it, I guess they added even more meat and cut down on the ash content? I read that there is no need to work the new formula in slowly so we will see. I still have the old I am guessing and it will probably be 2 weeks till I change. I'm glad to hear that your dog is doing better!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I am actually changing to Acana for less protein. Acana still has plenty of protein but I am hoping for a more balanced diet. Who knows, I could be wrong........

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I am actually changing to Acana for less protein. Acana still has plenty of protein but I am hoping for a more balanced diet. Who knows, I could be wrong........
With the new orijen formula, the protein percentage actually went down from 40% to 38%. The overall meat percentage went up (70% to 80%), but the protein percentage went down. This is likely due to there being less meat meal.

Is there a reason why you're looking for less protein? Is your dog not doing well on orijen? In my opinion, the more meat, the better. Dogs are carnivores - all they need is meat.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Dogs are omnivores, they are not wolves. Dogs have survived by eating all sorts of garbage for tens of thousands of years AFTER they were wolves. Seems to me a lot of people have forgotten the millenia that they were foragers and domesticated hangers-on and would subsist on a wide variety of hand-outs.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dogs are omnivores, they are not wolves. Dogs have survived by eating all sorts of garbage for tens of thousands of years AFTER they were wolves. Seems to me a lot of people have forgotten the millenia that they were foragers and domesticated hangers-on and would subsist on a wide variety of hand-outs.
If you dissect a wolf and a dog, place their digestive system on a table, there would be no difference between them. Dogs/wolves didn't hang around the camp fire for soy protein, they wanted meat. Not saying they don't eat veggies, as all the high end kibbles have a fair share of veggies. But the bulk of their calories come from animal protein and fat. Place a drum stick in a bowl and kibble in a different bowl, I bet the dog would go for the meat. I wish I could feed my dog what it was meant to eat, raw meat and bones. I do the next best thing, I feed a balanced high quality kibble like Orijen. My dog seems to be doing well on it, that doesn't mean all dogs will.

From what I have read Acana is a good food too and should be considered.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Dogs are not omnivores, they ARE carnivores. They are non-obligate carnivores to be exact, but carnivores, nonetheless. Where are you getting this information that they are omnivores because it's not correct?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I think they just cut down on the meat meal and upped the fresh meat, so overall, there's more meat (70% to 80%), but after cooking, there is probably less meat.

I still have a couple leftover bags of the older formula, so I haven't tried the new one yet, but I will report back when I do. Hopefully, it's a smooth transition.

The food going to 80% (by weight) can be very misleading. Don't get all hung up in it. Since the crude protein went down it sounds like a bunch of water is included in the 80%.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Dogs are not omnivores, they ARE carnivores. They are non-obligate carnivores to be exact, but carnivores, nonetheless. Where are you getting this information that they are omnivores because it's not correct?
They are 'preferential' carnivores with omnivore capabilities. So if they have omnivore capabilities, they are omnivorous. Just read the contents on your dog food bag. Is it all meat? Not hardly. Actually, most dog foods contain less meat than other contents. Why is that? Do the dogs that eat those foods die?
Do their bodies reject the non-meat food? No, they thrive on it. My current dog eats Orijen. My last dog lived and thrived on Iams for 13 years.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
They are 'preferential' carnivores with omnivore capabilities. So if they have omnivore capabilities, they are omnivorous. Just read the contents on your dog food bag. Is it all meat? Not hardly. Actually, most dog foods contain less meat than other contents. Why is that? Do the dogs that eat those foods die?
Do their bodies reject the non-meat food? No, they thrive on it. My current dog eats Orijen. My last dog lived and thrived on Iams for 13 years.
So because you've fed a crappy food with more grains and fillers than meat for 13 years and your dogs survived on it, that makes the species omnivores?

Forget their digestive system, their teeth (no molars to grind plants like your typical omnivore has), and their DNA. You're basing your opinion, because it's definitely not a fact, that dogs are omnivores because they can survive on the crap they put in commercial dog foods?

What about the other side of the spectrum where people feed 100% meat (organs, bones, meat meal) and nothing else and thrive. Where's the plants in that carnivorous diet?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts