German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone else has had their dogs on the new formula of Orijen long enough to tell if there's any changes?

My 12 yr old GSD has been on Orijen for 3+ yrs now and has done great on it. She's my easy dog for stool issues - 24-7 totally solid unless she has worms, etc. The only food that disagreed with her was Canidae, but otherwise she's always solid.

However, I've had her on the new formula (higher meat content) of Orijen for the past 3 weeks or so. I've noticed her stool quality decline a little - still solid for part, but not as solid. And add in some liquid stool at the end. I just called the vet & got results on her stool sample - neg for parasites. So I can only attribute it to the new food formula. Anyone else having issues?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
(higher meat content)
I find this deceptive advertising on Orijen's part. It has a higher amount of whole meat, which includes the water. Less meat meal. Ultimately this means a higher amount of the other stuff that is not meat.

Does anyone have the ingredient to the old and new ingredient lists and published percentages (protein percentage, etc.) that they could post here?

Thanks for the feedback on the new formulation....this will be a good thread to watch....

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
You can get both at Dogfoodchat.com, only the Adult has been updated.

Orijen Dog Food

The Large breed Puppy and Adult were exactly alike as far as the ingredient list went..

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I was hoping that someone helpful could just post the info here of both. What I was looking for is if the percentages of protein had decreased, and from a different forum, I was able to confirm that. Which means really LESS meat, as I had expected.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
So, those concerned about the high protein can appreciate this new formula. Yes it is possible to lower the protein content by upping the whole meat content.

Are they claiming the whole meat is higher quality than the meat meal? Are they saying the lower protein levels are a good thing?

Other than the obvious marketing value of saying "more fresh meat".. what is the advantage they claim?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Are they claiming the whole meat is higher quality than the meat meal? Are they saying the lower protein levels are a good thing?

Other than the obvious marketing value of saying "more fresh meat".. what is the advantage they claim?
My understanding (and I could be wrong), is that they are selling this by saying that they are adding more "fresh" meat, that's really the only thing I've seen. It sounds good as a sound bite, doesn't it?

I think one argument is that in an already higher meat protein percentage food, decreasing the meat protein isn't that big of a deal. The dogs' reactions to that I suspect will be the deciding factor.

One nutritionist has said that they are probably doing this so that they can source more locally. I tend to never trust a dog food company, and always suspect that this increases the profit for them....but there is absolutely no proof of that.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Here's what Orijen says about Fresh Meats:
Orijen Pet Foods: About ORIJEN:
WHAT ‘FRESH’ REALLY MEANS
Frequently misused in the pet food industry, ‘fresh’ means an ingredient is never frozen and never exposed to heat or chemicals. Refrigeration is the only allowable means of preservation for ingredients that are truly fresh.
Maybe there is something to it....I don't know. But it's processed in kibble, and therefore exposed to very high heat :thinking:

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Meat Meal....when used in dog food, do they get processed meat meal shipped to them and then it's re-processed, going through a second round of processing? Lots of things about dog food processing that I don't know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mika140....one of my dogs did not seem to tolerate the new formula at all.....just like you said...loose stools. I have changed her back to Acana and it has improved. She's back to her old self :)
Melinda

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback! I was able to pick up a bag of the old formula Senior Orijen, so my plan is to work her through that, then probably put her on the Acana Grasslands. I just put my more sensitive dog on the Grasslands and he's been doing great. Now I'm so thankful that my timing for trying that came just as the new formula switch happened. Plus it is always nice to have both dogs on the same kibble - lets my older dog get fresher food than she would have just working through a bag on her own.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Mine has been on the 80/20 for a couple weeks. I only see slightly softer stools but they were like rocks with Orijen adult. Otherwise, no difference.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Mine has been on the 80/20 for a couple weeks. I only see slightly softer stools but they were like rocks with Orijen adult. Otherwise, no difference.
Should have mentioned: more gassy.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
****, my dog had only farted 3 times in 10 yrs before going on Orijen, not it happens several times a week. Now with the new formula, it will happen more? Hopefully, she doesn't have the same reaction. Also, her stool is very hard right now.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
No changes here. Slightly softer stools after I switched to the new stuff but normal since then.

Lisa I had heard somewhere(here I think) that they changed to less meat meal to reduce the ash content?? I don't know what that means though :laugh:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I was curious if anyone else has had their dogs on the new formula of Orijen long enough to tell if there's any changes?

My 12 yr old GSD has been on Orijen for 3+ yrs now and has done great on it. She's my easy dog for stool issues - 24-7 totally solid unless she has worms, etc. The only food that disagreed with her was Canidae, but otherwise she's always solid.

However, I've had her on the new formula (higher meat content) of Orijen for the past 3 weeks or so. I've noticed her stool quality decline a little - still solid for part, but not as solid. And add in some liquid stool at the end. I just called the vet & got results on her stool sample - neg for parasites. So I can only attribute it to the new food formula. Anyone else having issues?
Mine has only been on it for one bag, but same results as you. Hoping she will adjust. If not, going to Acana.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks like I'll be able to at least stick it out to the end of the bag with my dog. She kind of has alternating day solid/softer stools....but overall quality of stools is down. I wish they would have just let the old formula stay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts