German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
instead of 70/30. I'm guessing most Orijen users know this, but really don't know so I thought I'd post it here. They were supposed to begin shipping the new formula last month, but the store we go to won't be getting it until December. I read the press release from Champion at the store. I didn't see anything on their site about it, but if interested I'm sure the store you buy from can give info along with google.

Ok, now their site says 80/20. Didn't see that a few days ago. The store we go to said the price will increase 5%. What a surprise.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Don't enough dogs already have a lot issues with the high protein levels? Or is it something else?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There's no such thing as "too much" protein unless your dog has a genetic problem. The too much protein thing is a myth. Some dogs may not not do as well on higher protein content, which is different.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Dogs are carnivores - Protein is what they need.

Oh and I'm an orijen feeder and did not know about this. I heard they were switching the formula, but didn't know how. Does anyone have the new ingredient list or is this not public yet?

EDIT - Doing a little research it looks like the protein percentage is dropping from 40% to 38% due to the inclusion of more fresh meat. This is probably going to take down the amount of meat meal which is why the percentage drops.

They are also not going to use citric acid as a preservative. I guess that means they are going to start using vitamin E instead. Not too sure if this is a good or bad thing and why they're doing this.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm just praying they don't add chicken fat like they did with the Acana grasslands formula. With a dog who is allergic to all things chicken, I was severely disappointed having to drop the grasslands formula from our rotation. I really like Orijen's Regional Red formula and just added it. Hoping any formula changes won't cause us to eliminate it as a feeding option.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This is also going to be an increase of $5-$7 per 30lb bag.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also I found it strange, the Kcal count dropped in the LBP formula, and is now 410. The cal/pho levels are better in the adult food then they are the LBP, also the 6 fish went down in cal/pho min 1.4-max 1.6 cal. I will be feeding the adult formulas to both my one year old and new puppy!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm just praying they don't add chicken fat like they did with the Acana grasslands formula. With a dog who is allergic to all things chicken, I was severely disappointed having to drop the grasslands formula from our rotation. I really like Orijen's Regional Red formula and just added it. Hoping any formula changes won't cause us to eliminate it as a feeding option.
From reading the website (I'm assuming the ingredient lists have been updated here with the rest of the information, which may or may not be the case!) it doesn't look like there is any chicken fat in the Regional Red. I'm sure if you contacted them you could get a definite answer - I contacted food producers about all sorts of things every time I switched foods when I was on a quest to find something that didn't make my girl scratch holes in herself!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should have asked for a copy of info from Champion that our store has. That way I could have had more info for you all. Sorry!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts